www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Archives on TDI Power Enhancement related items.

Old October 25th, 1999, 13:24   #16
Peter Cheuk
Gasser :P

Default Re: GARRETT VNT HOP UP PICS

Skypup, I had seen "Thumper" at the ND car show and sale back in May. Cool dragster with a VW 16V motor!
Peter Cheuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 1999, 14:24   #17
Craig
Veteran Member

Thumper has only half the boost of SkyPup!! With 329 lb-ft of torque at 8,000 rpm I bet SkyPup has a let more below 3,000 rpm. Guess which one is the real-world street machine?
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 1999, 22:34   #18
mickey

I did this mod over the weekend: One full turn of "extra" boost. I don't have a boost gauge, so I can't quantify the difference. I notice that the sudden rush of boost that used to appear at 2000 rpm now appears at about 1800 or so. And it isn't nearly as "sudden", since the low rpm power is enhanced. Turbo lag is much less. High rpm power also enhanced, but not dramatically. Overall the engine seems to be considerably more "driveable" than before, with less of a tendency to kill when I start out. (Go ahead and laugh, you Floridians! You've never driven a stock TDI at this altitude. There is very little torque just off idle.) I like it a lot! Great mod, and the price is right. At least until I fry my turbo, but I'm not too concerned about that. I didn't do anything drastic, like SkyPup did. In fact, I'm almost convinced that the turbo wasn't set up correctly from the factory. Smoking is considerably reduced now! I wonder if my car has been sick all along and only just now is working properly.

-mickey
Old October 26th, 1999, 00:50   #19
SkyPup

True story of catastrophic fatal turbocharger failure, read and weep:
http://www.cessna.org/public/twinexha.html

This one is the most awesome VW turbocharged engine I've ever seen, not diesel, but worth a close look!

www.wwnet.com/~raceware/thump2.html

[This message has been edited by SkyPup (edited October 25, 1999).]
Old October 26th, 1999, 06:14   #20
SkyPup

Based on the dire results of having your turbocharged exhaust pipe damaged and throwing flames out under the car similar to what happened on the Cessna planes, it pays to install a first class exhaust system if you do plan to upgrade to a high performace TDI exhaust.

The improvement in low end boost with one turn like Mickey has done does add to driving pleasure of the TDI since the torque is enhanced and comes on lower. The torque application in my sea level rides is so enhanced it feels like a sledge hammer when the rpms hit. In fact, this could potentially be dangerous on ice or slippery wet roads in the hands of an inexperienced driver. In third gear on a hard pack dirt grade when I floor it off idle it hunkers down and stomps on the get-go until about 2,200 rpm when the front tires both light up clawing for traction, guess what, the rubber loses! Be super careful on turns, especially slick ones, as too much throttle can send you out of control in a heartbeat. One turn also increases top end horsepower noticeably on the upper end over 3,500rpm past 4,000, whether or not that is in combination with the TT 2.5" cat back system I am not sure, but it certainly is noticable.
My BOSCH manual states that HP drops 10% for each rise of 1,000 meters (3,300 feet or so) in a naturally aspirated engine, not quite sure what the effects are for a turbocharged engine although I would imagine it is less pronounced, especially once the turbo get charged up and spooling.
Old October 26th, 1999, 11:55   #21
mickey

In theory the maximum power output of a supercharged engine, like a TDI, should be immune to the effects of altitude as long as the boost pressure is adjustable and the computer automatically compensates for the lower barometric pressure. I notice no difference in maximum engine power output between 4500 and 8500 feet. It seemed to drop off slightly as I neared 10,000 feet, so I guess the VNT's vanes are pulled down as tight as they'll get at that altitude. At low rpms, though, the altitude difference is very noticable. I think you'd be shocked at how gutless your TDI would be at low rpms up here in the mountains, just as I'd be shocked (and probably frightened) at how nasty mine would be near sea level. The effect is even more pronounced in a TDI compared to other diesels, since the compression ratio is considerably lower than it is in a traditional non-turbo diesel. The poor things get pretty sick up here.

I live in a subdivision called Stansbury Park. Somebody in the neighborhood owns a white TDI Passat. I'm sure they're not in the Forum, or they would have said "howdy, mickey!" by now. But in watching that car putter around the neighborhood for a couple of years I've noticed that when they hit the accelerator and take off from idle the car emits a really HUGE cloud of black smoke! Much worse than my '99 NB mit Wett has ever been. Maybe they're not into maintainance like I am, but I chalk that up to having a Garret GT rather than the new high-tech VNT-15. My turbo spools up a lot quicker than theirs. Maximum boost pressure is the same, but low rpm operation isn't nearly as efficient.

-mickey

[This message has been edited by mickey (edited October 26, 1999).]
Old October 26th, 1999, 13:51   #22
Peter Cheuk
Gasser :P

For you guys worried about head gasket failures and such, especially those of us running higher than stock boost, RACEWARE head studs are a good preventative measure. RACEWARE is very highly respected in modified German car circles, especially amongst VW and Porsche tuners.

I just got an email from Randy (head honcho?) at RACEWARE and he told me that their kit for newer diesels (RT-106; VW diesels from '91 or '92 on) will work on our cars and should be fairly easy for someone who's mechanically competent to do themselves.

I'm planning on doing this to my car before doing a turbo upgrade.

[This message has been edited by Peter Cheuk (edited October 26, 1999).]
Peter Cheuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 1999, 23:10   #23
mickey

I'll keep that in mind for future reference. ("Future" meaning: "After my head gasket blows.")

It's really scary. My car was running a lot stronger today than it did on Saturday when I did the mod. Now I know what you sea-level types mean when you say "INSTANT throttle response!" I can hear the turbo spool up instantly from idle. Smoke is completely gone unless I "lean on it" and I swear the fuel economy is better! The gauge didn't budge today, and I drove over 110 miles since I filled up. (Is that possible? Well, less smoke means more complete combustion, and that means better fuel economy!) Is there nothing this car can't do?

-mickey

p.s. Oh, by the way: SkyPup for President!

p.p.s. I think I'll skip the boost gauge. I'm having way too much fun and I don't want mean old "reality" to spoil it! I'm just going to naively assume it's making 18 psi of sustained boost and leave it at that.
Old October 27th, 1999, 04:52   #24
SkyPup

Those RaceWare products are definitely first class state of the art engineered high tech and they do have the same reputation too. They deserve a close look for people seriously modifying their TDI's.
Mickey, the ECU has to take time to adapt to the VNT adjustements as now your Manifold Air Pressure, Intake Air Pressure, and MAF sensor are running in higher ranges. It does keep getting better as time goes on and the thing adjusts to your driving habits. Just be sure to run it floored quite a bit, particularly from about 1,500rpm to 4,000 rpm in 3rd gear as that is the maximum boost area for the thing to map in correctly. It does just GO like a rocket once it hunkers down, I am really surprised that it worked out so easy, of course there is more to do getting some more fuel in there too and possibly adjusting the MAP, IAT, and MAF values to accomodate the power, but hey! it's for free and it works pretty damn well as long as you don't over do it.
Get the Autometer Oil-Filled Liquid Mechanical Boost Gauge #5404, it is simply the best and is great fun looking at, especially when going up and down hills (mountains in your case ) and letting the engine just torque out to maintain speed.
TDI'S RULE - GAS SUCKS!
Old October 27th, 1999, 06:11   #25
Craig
Veteran Member

SkyPup, if one makes mods and uses WOT to 'adjust' the chip, what happens if you now drive like Tazzman for the next month then suddenly need to call upon the additional power? Did the month of light-foot driving now adust the programming to a gentler beast obliterating the first WOT settings?
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 1999, 06:28   #26
SkyPup

Craig, probably YES. It is going to change for a number of various factors, including but not limited to 1. Climate (temp changes throughout the year) 2. Altitude and Barometric Changes (driving through different altitudes in High and Low pressure atomspheric conditions) 3. Driving cycle habits (WOT cross country jaunts all the time or creeping to and from the shopping mall round trip less than 5 miles) 4. Fuel quality (crappy fuel produces crappy exhaust gas and crappy turbo response)
5. Mental capacity and Country of operation (Tazz is an talented intellectual and a citizen of the great country of Canada, others are not so forutnate).
6. Age and engine mechanical conditions change (rings leak, valves leak, sensors change accuracy, turbine wheels erode, soot builds up, etc. etc. etc. and the ECU adjusts to the changes in the engine over time within the mapping limits programmed in OEM.)

[This message has been edited by SkyPup (edited October 27, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by SkyPup (edited October 27, 1999).]
Old October 27th, 1999, 06:55   #27
PetrV

SkyPup, what's the difference between 3404-J and 5404-J gauges?

Petr
PetrV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 1999, 07:38   #28
SkyPup

I have their catalog at home so off hand I don't know. However, when purchasing a boost gauge for a turbodiesel, all you need is 0-35 PSI model, do not get one with negative vacuum readings, they are for gasoline cars. It is a mechanical gauge too, the liquid oil filled ones are too be preferred, very accurate and absolutely no noise or vibrations.
Old October 27th, 1999, 08:54   #29
Karl Roenick
Veteran Member

SkyPup: Awesome!
Now that's clockwise for more boost?
Karl Roenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 1999, 10:29   #30
mickey

"Counter-clockwise" as viewed from BELOW. Look at the picture. You will be loosening the 10 mm lock nut. Loosen it several turns. Then you will be turning the knurled adjuster IN THE SAME DIRECTION AS YOU TURNED THE LOCK NUT. In other words, screw the ajuster "into", or "towards" the vacuum actuator at the bottom.

You'll notice from the photos that the actuator rod kind of "flares out" around the knurled adjuster. Get a sharp wax pencil and scribe an index mark on the adjuster right next to the "flared" part of the rod. Turn the screw exactly ONE full turn. (Or more if you want to, but I think you'd be crazy. Sorry, SkyPup!) Re-tighten the lock nut.

Don't expect miracles right off the bat. You'll notice a difference, but it takes a day or two of hard driving for the full effect.

Standard disclaimer: If your car blows up, it's NOT MY FAULT! Got it? I had nothing to do with your decision.

-mickey