www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Archives on TDI Power Enhancement related items.

Old October 11th, 1999, 14:01   #16
Peter Cheuk
Gasser :P

Default Re: GARRETT VNT15 TurboKompressor HOP UP BIGTIME!

Skypup, on my A3 TDI, there's a pressure line that goes from the intercooler pipe to the ECU so that the ECU senses the amount of boost that the motor's making after the intercooler. Does the A4 TDI use this too? If so, can't you bleed this line like I did and get the sustained boost to be a few PSI more for even more power?
Peter Cheuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 1999, 16:00   #17
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

We want dyno numbers!

Having blown a couple of head gaskets on various engines in the past, I wonder what the head gasket in this one is good for? Are better head gaskets (and possibly bolts) available?

Brian
'96 Passat TDI (bone stock, wishing for $$ to buy a tuning-box, spent it on the FZR400 instead)
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 1999, 17:09   #18
Olli
Veteran Member

Sounds great SkyPup, but you need to go and get that car on a dyno. I believe that you claimed 15-20 ft/lbs of torque increase from the exhuast, did TT quote that number? Or is that just your guesstimate? I can understand if you don't want to invest the time or money @ the dyno if that is the case why not get a G-Tech?

Olli
Olli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 1999, 21:42   #19
mickey

Theory: To maintain a constant level of boost, the speed of the turbine must increase proportionally with altitude.

Make sense? If I'm right, I'd better keep things a little more toned-down than SkyPup. And he'd better de-tune that monster if he ever plans to drive in a state where the altitude reaches double digits!

-mickey
Old October 12th, 1999, 04:54   #20
SkyPup

Your reasoning is 100% accurate. There are less air molecules (isn't it 10% less every 3,000 feet up?) and therefore less frictional resistance to the compressor wheel resulting in greater rpms. Also, the compressor has to work harder to create the same boost, which it will do but at some point it is going to be at a very very high rpm level. Also, the compressor map is affected and the ability of the compressor wheel to hit the surge limit will be increased due to lower air pressure and resultant lower air mass (ie less molecules of air). Surge should be instantly recognized by the sound of multiple sledge hammers pounding on the engine when the compressor takes thousands of high pressure wave hits right before it detonatesand self destructs. The turbo will work at altitude to increase cfm through the engine way above what a normally aspirated engine would be sucking, however there are limits to the max boost. I will investigate this a little further and post some "high altitude" turbo information. But basically what you are concerned about is right on the money. It is very difficult to design turbo operation at high altitudes and also at low altitudes as you could imagine.
Old October 12th, 1999, 16:44   #21
jrcanoe

Thanks SkyPup great info and pics. For those lucky enough to have stumbled across Fred's page there is now allmost as much free power here as you can get for 600$ from a chip or box.Can't wait for my next finantial feast(currently in famine) to go from stock to 1.8T class, with twice the mileage, for less than 1000$. I would think airplane turbo companies would have the scoop on Altitude. Wouldn't the obdII give you the air intake temp, thought I saw a site that used a casio to be several gauges say that was coming.
jrcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 1999, 04:23   #22
Keith
Veteran Member

Come on Skypup, bring it on home by detaching the EGR hose. Then you'll post here exclaiming how your car has even more pep. When you need to bring the car to the VW dealer, just reattach the hose and the check engine light will go out within 25-100 miles.

Then put the car on the dyno. We want to see the mean Jetta give the dyno a hernia.

Keep up the ground-breaking great work. How about a VNT25, bigger intercooler and water injection. Then you'll want bigger downpipe, Raceware headstuds, Qauife, sport clutch, stronger axles, custom injector pump, ported head, coated pistons, custom intake, extrude-honed header...

Keith.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 1999, 05:27   #23
SkyPup

Keith, I will try out the EGR disconnect this weekend as I have had the 10,000 mile check. God knows if I get into all the things that you are into I will be broke but have the fastest VW TDI in North America. As is, my ride is stunning and I am astounded how much power it is cranking out and how GD FAST this little baby is. I can remember when I bought my 2002 BMW in 1976 and was happy to get 120HP from a 2.0 liter gasser and hop it up to 160HP with Schrick 300 degree cam, Stahl headers, dual 40mm Weber DCOE's, etc. This VW TDI is a tiny 1.9 Liter DIESEL that runs just like that Korman Autoworks Stage III Bimmer not some stupid tractor, bus or semi!!! That is really hard to believe as I never in my life thought I would be driving a hyper-powerful diesel passenger car - BUT I LOVE IT NOW and that's a fact.
BTW, no engine error codes or any hassles except fantasies about warped con rods, stretched head bolts, blown head gaskets, pistons with holes melted in them, etc. etc. BUT THEY ALL BE FANTASIES and I'm laughing like hell the whole time.

Don't Boost Me Up Sooty, I Love it Down Here in my HyperTurboed VW TDI

[This message has been edited by SkyPup (edited October 13, 1999).]
Old October 13th, 1999, 05:58   #24
Osiris
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46

SkyPup,

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question.

Your car's aerodynamic structure hasn't changed from what any Joe could buy from the dealer, right (aside from those monster tires)? If my TDI Jetta requires a certain Hp/torque to cruise at a certain speed, then yours would require this too. I doubt that my TDI is pumping out 18 psi to maintain a 110mph speed. At 60mph I doubt there is any boost required (it ticks at less than 2000rpm). This would mean that yours is struggling to keep the speed up, or you are seriously loosing power from somewhere. Does this make sense to you?

Shouldn't your car require less rpm's for a given speed, since your car is putting out so much more power?

[This message has been edited by Osiris (edited October 13, 1999).]
Osiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 1999, 07:03   #25
SkyPup

Cruising 5th Gear at 40 mph - 0 boost
60 mph 1-2 PSI
70 mph 2-3 PSI
90mph 4-5 PSI
110 mph 6-7 PSI

Accelerating 5th Gear WOT at 40 mph - 15PSI
60 MPH - 15 PSI
70 MPH - 18 PSI
90 MPH - 18 PSI
110 MPH 18 - PSI

There is hardly any turbo pressure while cruising at any speed less than 100 mph on a flat surface, a small incline bumps up pressure terrifically. At 60 mph cruising and entering the bottom of a small hill, result is 6-7 PSI. On the interstate cruising 75 mph and running over a giant bridge the boost rises directly in proportion to the torque required to maintain constant speed, could be up to max of 18 here.
BTW, I love having the cruise control set on 75 and cruise down the interstate and watch the boost guage as you go up and down hills, the boost guage is also going up and down as the speed remains constant!
Go out and get yourself a boost guage for your ride, that way you can enjoy it and tell us about it.
Old October 13th, 1999, 08:37   #26
Peter Cheuk
Gasser :P

Osiris, cars with manual transmissions have a fixed gear ratio to maintain speed in any given gear. In other words, when you are driving at 60MPH, your car will be revving at 2100RPM, irregardless if your motor produces 50HP or 500HP if the gearing is the same. It's in the gearing.
Peter Cheuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 1999, 09:57   #27
Craig
Veteran Member

SkyPup, go back and read your posting. You said you adjusted 3 turns to the left and got no boost change. Four turns to the left (I assume from original-hence one more than above), gave too much. So backing off one turn to 3 give the optimum. You are now back to the first setting of 3 which was no change! I don't get it. Did you mean 4 turns to the right, or 3 + 4 turns to the left?
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 1999, 10:27   #28
SkyPup

Sorry Craig, you are right. Main tools for this mod are 10mm open end wrench, pair of pliers, shop light, two eyes, two hands, and a brain, and a boost guage (which one did I forget?)

To set the record straight:

First try was Three turns to the RIGHT which resulted in significantly lower response and lower & slower max boost.

Second try was back to normal. Everything okay.

Third try was Four turns to the Left. Yoweeeeee!!!!!!! WAY TOO MUCH 30#+ PSI and climbing when I quickly removed my foot from the throttle and returned home hoping some of the engine was left under the hood.

Fourth try was Three turns to the Left which gave 28psi max. As seen in the photo and that is where my two TDI's stand today at this time. This in itself is extremely high and undoubtedly an overload on the intercooler to the point of being massive overkill in heated turbo boosted air. I seriously doubt that the OEM intercooler can handle over 20 PSI boost without the benefit of a liquid nitrogen cooling attachment as the boost above that is most likely hotter than 400 degrees F. and certainly an intercooler overload.

BTW, be certain, be sure and DO NOT forget to keep accurate track of exactly where the OEM reference point is on the VNT adjustor, lose that and you will lose your mind and your engine too!
Old October 13th, 1999, 14:19   #29
Craig
Veteran Member

Okay now that we have that clarified, couldn’t someone without benefit of a boost gauge just turn it to the left 1 or 2 turns and be on the safe side? Someone like Mickey might just do one. BTW, this is the most effective mod yet. It’s FREE! (Unless you blow up your engine of course.)

Anyway, congratulations are in order. You are now making some serious hp and still there are a few things that could be done. As you mentioned, a bigger intercooler (or more effective one). You should move north. It is raining (100% humidity) and cold. Nothing like the coming Canadian winter to keep your air-charge cold! 

Probably the bottleneck now would be your downpipe. This might be the final mod you might consider. As you say, anything more without AWD and you have more problems than benefits. Personally, I think the downpipe would be my final mod. With it you would reach the level of diesel hot rodding that is in Europe. And you did it with good ‘ole Yankee ingenuity. And beat out all the ‘official’ NA VW turners who are doing the 1.8T thing. Well done! You’re just a guy who is ahead of his time. Think of it. You developed the 21st-century hot rod without being an engine mechanic. WOW!!

Wonder what your top speed is now? I shudder to think.

P.S. With that kind of boost, isn’t the fuel more critical?
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 1999, 14:29   #30
mickey

No WAY I would mess with this without investing in a boost gauge! And I'd have to do some serious research into the effects of altitude on turbine speed. I'm afraid that I'd detonate the poor turbo if I tried to achieve SkyPup levels of boost in this rarified atmosphere.

-mickey