Exhaust Flap: What's the flap?

SAABMaven

TDI
2009 SportWagen
Folks,

Read with interest the threads here and here, and have realised that we have complained to the dealership about the stumbling when easing off throttle, almost from the time that we bought the car new.

However, the dealership mechanics had no idea. They test drove it, but admitted that they only drive automatics, and had a such a hard enough time wrestling with with the 6-speed stick that they were unable to tell.

So, two questions...

1. Tips on following up with corporate VW ? This should have been fixed under warranty, as I've brought up the problem when under warranty but nothing done.

2. Any recommendations on where to find a real mechanic to clean the old valve? I'm willing to travel (I get to NH & ME a lot). So far I haven't found anyone in VT, willing to install my panzer plate... computer says no...

R39moose in Utah wrote the following. We have the same 2009, but as I live in a high-tax state with a resort premium (VT), the estimate's about $1000, not $800. We can't afford to pay an extra $1000 every two years.

Thanks (and hope to learn enough to be helping other newbies soon)!
Robert

I have a question. My 2009 TDI eng light came on just under 60000 miles. the Dealer says after a $90 charge, that it is the Exhaust Flap control module. and it cost $800 to replace it. Can this be removed and cleaned and then reinstalled. There is no noticable problem while driving. And what problems will happen if I continue driving it?