www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Archives on TDI Power Enhancement related items.

Old November 22nd, 2007, 16:02   #16
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

I recall but can't find the tread anymore where Kerma teased us with Race nozzles with 7 or more holes (can't remember exactly how many). Put this into a PD and with the right supporting components and well-researched mods.... ear shot of a pretty easy 280 HP.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 15:11   #17
TDIMeister
Moderator at Large

I recently found a paper authored by Mr. Baretzky on the development of the R10 TDI. It gives some pretty interesting technical insight on the decision-making process in Audi's selection of the maximum allowed displacement for the R10 being driven by ACO air restrictor rules, and also looking at the current state-of-the-art Diesel engine technology. It also rationalizes Audi's decision to go to a counter-intuitive V12 layout, when a V8 or V10 might have packaged better for the race car. I asked Mr. Baretzky personally this question, and his answer was quite enlightening, and not what comes first to mind on the subject. The paper repeats much of what he explained to me.

It's also interesting to read about the combustion development, etc. The stated 200 bar PCP; torque output of about 1100 Nm; and BMEP of 23 bar would suggest an astounding compression ratio as low as 14:1.

Last edited by TDIMeister; January 19th, 2008 at 02:04.
Old January 18th, 2008, 15:36   #18
devonutopia
Veteran Member

Hehe - A white towel put over my exhaust would soon be black, but my exhaust is "clean" by the standards I have seen. And I hope to be somewhere around 140 to 150hp per litre soon, with hopefully not much more than a cloudy haze coming out the exhaust on full boost.

Some good info above.
http://www.devoncardetailing.gb.net/
devonutopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2008, 15:54   #19
mojogoes
Veteran Member

TDI(s): mk3 tdi golf
Fuel Economy: not much

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdiRacing
TdiMeister:

We may have been at the same show on Koln.

Here is a pic of the Diesel ECU:

Pics of the LEmans Engine on display in the Shell Booth

This is the said Bosch motorsport ecu that costs 15,000 and then add another 15,000 for the loom and parts to make it all work plus a few more hidden costs here and there............however there is a much cheaper equivalent from Volvo motorsport coming in at a measly 5000 euros plus another couple of thousand for loom and parts to get you started.
Old January 19th, 2008, 15:16   #20
Drivbiwire
Zehntes Jahr der Veteran

Fuel Economy: Who cares, it's a diesel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwMfY...eature=related

Enjoy
DB
Drivbiwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 15:34   #21
Rub87
Veteran Member

Looks like a pretty big undeep piston bowl in the movie.. they're alo putting pistons in without the rod
Old January 19th, 2008, 16:05   #22
TDIMeister
Moderator at Large

Ze Germans do thing a little differently.
Old January 19th, 2008, 16:42   #23
mojogoes
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub87
Looks like a pretty big undeep piston bowl in the movie.. they're alo putting pistons in without the rod
Yes they use electromagnetic rods the same system that a train uses to hover above the tracks.
Old January 28th, 2008, 14:35   #24
TDIMeister
Moderator at Large

Fuel specs for Shell V-Power Diesel used in the 24 Hours of LeMans.

Enjoy.
Old January 28th, 2008, 16:31   #25
mojogoes
Veteran Member

This is the company i had make me a couple of modified test batches of there racing diesel , and although it shows on this sheet some racing diesel with a cetane number of 52 .......the batches that were made for me had in fact a number of around 75/80.
http://www.petrochemcarless.com/docs...C-hiperflo.pdf.
Old January 28th, 2008, 17:54   #26
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

This stuff sounds like that and is on sale even:

http://www.hiperfuels.com/catalog.as...40586&detail=1

Maybe I should buy a drum and mix in 5 gallons a tank.
Old January 28th, 2008, 18:39   #27
jackbombay
Veteran Member

TDI(s): A4 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 57/43/32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIMeister
I recently found a paper... ...It also rationalizes Audi's decision to go to a counter-intuitive V12 layout, when a V8 or V10 might have packaged better for the race car.
Quote:
The engine weight of the 10 cylinder engine is lower than the V12. The V8 engine, on the other hand, has a higher engine weight due to the structural reinforcement requirements. These come from the very high specific combustion forces per cylinder which result from the large bore size.
The answer.

Hp vs. TQ
jackbombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 18:43   #28
Slave2school
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1
This stuff sounds like that and is on sale even:

http://www.hiperfuels.com/catalog.as...40586&detail=1

Maybe I should buy a drum and mix in 5 gallons a tank.
That's actually a pretty good price for fuel considering I pay $1.15/L for elcrapo pump diesel....
Slave2school is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 22:17   #29
TDIMeister
Moderator at Large

Quote:
The engine weight of the 10 cylinder engine is lower than the V12. The V8 engine, on the other hand, has a higher engine weight due to the structural reinforcement requirements. These come from the very high specific combustion forces per cylinder which result from the large bore size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbombay
The answer.
That answer was arrived upon somewhat self-fulfillingly. In the course of surveying the current state-of-the-art in Diesel engine technology, and researching the ACO rules to try to find the greatest technical advantage within the framework of the air-restrictor and other engine rules, Audi determined that it would be achieved using the largest displacement allowed by the rules.

This decision overuled other factors and kind-of drove them to the V12 layout. In other words it was sort of a preconceived conclusion. The combustion forces resulting from the large bore size was something I honestly didn't think of until Mr. Baretzky revealed it, but it makes perfect sense that 200 bar of peak pressure acting on a large piston area makes for very large forces.
However, this is not the only way to go. One could have decided on a somewhat smaller displacement (the air-restrictor size remains constant, but maximum boost pressure is increased). Then you could leverage benefits in smaller overall dimensions, reduced weight and lower friction by going to a smaller cylinder bore and count. I'm not saying this is the right- or only way of doing it, I'm just saying there's more than the one way Audi (and Peugeot) went.

To be sure, engine stresses would be greater and would require more engineering to deal with them. Mr. Baretzky did not shy away from admitting that Audi transferred series-production Diesel know-how in the development of the race engine, but Motorsport has usually done things in reverse order, bringing technological innovation at the race track and trickling-down to the OEM level. In Mr. Baretzky's defence, he stated that available development time was extremely short, and even a company like Audi is not without limits on budget.