Code 18057 WITH Code 16764?

JDSnead

TDI
2000 New Beetle 5-speed, 2001 New Beetle automatic, 2011 JSW DSG, 2013 Beetle TDI DSG, 2014 Beetle TDI DSG, 2015 Passat TDI 6-speed manual
I'm a newbie, so bear with me.

I searched for and read all the threads about the Glow Plug DTC (16764). It seems that a new GP harness helped most to clear this up.

My '00 A4 5-speed shows both the 16764 and 18057. The 18057 complete message is: p1649 035 Data Bus Powertrain missing message from Break ECU.

Anyone seen this combination of codes? I'm going to try a new GP harness first, then see what happens. I would appreciate any pointers anyone has.

BTW: this is one GREAT forum/site! I have two A4 TDIs, a 2000 and 2001. I can't see driving anything else in today's world.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Jerry

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
First test the GPs before replacing the harness. We just had a car at a GTG in MI with this code. 1 GP was DOA, the others tested fine.

And another driver in OH had this code a couple of weeks back. I found the GP harness did not appear to be fully seated on one of the plugs. Latest report is that the code has not come back.

As for the brake communications failure...
Have you had any brake work done lately? Anybody messing with the connector to the brake controller?

[ February 08, 2003, 20:20: Message edited by: MOGolf ]

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Before replacing parts unecessarily, do a diagnosis first. It is not difficult to test the glow plugs. It might just be a bad one. This is the first step everyone should do. If your glow plugs check out ok, then step two is to replace the harness. The problem seems to be very seldomly caused by the relay, so I would not worry about that. For anyone who has the 16764 code (aka p0380), these are the steps that should be taken:

1. Check glow plugs with ohm meter - free
2. If one is bad, replace it with same type - $20
3. If all check out ok, then replace the harness - $20

The harness is not necessarily the problem. rule out the actual plugs first, its free (unless you have to buy a meter, then its $10-15). Some people say to change all four plugs. I agree with that if all the plugs have higher mileage (over 50k) because these things do wear and its likely that the rest are on their way out too. If its low mileage, then just replacing the one will probably be fine, just make sure you have the same manufacturer. All four need to have very similar resistance, so if you find that after you replace one, it is more than .3-.5 ohms different than the rest, it would be advisable to change the rest or the code will return.

As for the other code, I have no idea, sorry. But I hope this helps a bit

JDSnead

TDI
2000 New Beetle 5-speed, 2001 New Beetle automatic, 2011 JSW DSG, 2013 Beetle TDI DSG, 2014 Beetle TDI DSG, 2015 Passat TDI 6-speed manual
Thanks Guys!

I'll start the process tomorrow of troubleshooting the GPs! (It's too cold today!

And,
No, I haven't had any brake work done. I've got 35k on the original pads/rotors. Could this have caused the other code?

JDSnead

TDI
Thanks weedeater.

I'll give the connections a jiggle and push (sounds like it should be banned in some areas!)