Had that dream again, the one where I replace a heater core...

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT
I had that dream again I was replacing the heater core on my 2003 Jettawagon.
What concerns me is the heater core is original, and I've never replaced it, and that's perfectly fine. Is this dream foreshadowing of things to come? If not, why do I keep having this dream? The last heater core I did was for a customer, and it wasn't that bad. But in my dream, it's worse than last time. Nothing wants to come apart - everything fights me the whole way. Sometimes I dream I've put it all back together, only to find that I didn't plug in a line for the radio, or I haven't reconnected the hvac controls. I have this recurring image of a T25 fastener falling in the area where the carpet meets the ebrake and wedging itself further and further down under the carpet against the metal frame. It's scraping the metal. In these dreams I can see and hear the paint scraping. I'll wake up from this dream grabbing my sheets searching for tools. It's terrifying, and afterwards I have a hard time falling back asleep.

I just need the dreams to stop. Anyone have any ideas?

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
If it bothers you that much just change the heater core. Preferably during a slow period. You don't want to put off paying customers. I take it you have no current leaks and have heat. It would be a lot cheaper than visiting an analyst to get rid of the dream. Face your fears.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Just check for leaks. No leaks, no worries.

If you are dying to change a core, then give me a really good price and I'll let you do mine. If it ever starts leaking, that is.

Cheers,

PH

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
ive been having a white film form on the inside of my windows.

I did a quick google search and someone in some random forum suggested it could be the heater core leaking is whats causing that.

is there any truth to that?

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Awww that's the easy one.
That's in two pieces not like the other style which is all in one piece.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
To the op, stop dreaming, lol.

ive been having a white film form on the inside of my windows.

I did a quick google search and someone in some random forum suggested it could be the heater core leaking is whats causing that.

is there any truth to that?
Plastic interiors make the windows fog up over time. If you can't smell coolant or that gross smell blowing out the vents with the heat on, don't worry about it.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I'm having the same issues with the window forging up..... I'll clean it but will be fogged in two days.....no coolant smell just weird

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Believe us folks, when the heater core is leaking, you will smell coolant, a slightly sweet and heavy odor.

Your fogging may be due to poor heater box door operation and humidity inside the car.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Aja888 it's not humidity, I've been driving my car for the last 12+ years and 351,xxx miles that i've put on ( car has 380,xxx ).
It doesn't want to come off the Windows easily an streaks easily.

I know what a coolant leak smells like, I've changed my sons heater core on his 2000 golf a couple of years ago for that reason.
It's just weird every couple of day have to wipe the inside of window with a cleaner and paper towels otherwise when the sun hits it you can't see out the window, even worse with headlights hitting windshield.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
yup, same thing happening to me. its not just moisture/fog on the window. ive tried everything! every temperature setting possible for 10 mins, defrost, floor vents, all windows open. nothing worked.

finally had to wipe it on the side of the road. helped for a bit, now the next day it looks like someone wiped it with a greasy shop rag. it needs a window cleaner now. its a physical white film. like a smokers vehicle.

one side note. I do have 2 sealed brand new bottles of fork fluid to rebuild a dirtbikes suspension in my back seat in a bag for the last few days, thats not normally in there. maybe thats causing it?

sorry to derail the thread so bad...

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I just threw out my experiences with my heater core project. Could be some hydrocarbon based material in the car is breaking down due to age/heat exposure/etc and throwing off gases that are being deposited on your windows.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
yup, same thing happening to me. its not just moisture/fog on the window. ive tried everything! every temperature setting possible for 10 mins, defrost, floor vents, all windows open. nothing worked.

finally had to wipe it on the side of the road. helped for a bit, now the next day it looks like someone wiped it with a greasy shop rag. it needs a window cleaner now. its a physical white film. like a smokers vehicle.

one side note. I do have 2 sealed brand new bottles of fork fluid to rebuild a dirtbikes suspension in my back seat in a bag for the last few days, thats not normally in there. maybe thats causing it?

sorry to derail the thread so bad...
Interesting. I have no idea, lol. :confused: