www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old July 28th, 2007, 10:32   #1
chewbacca
Veteran Member

Default 2002 Golf Battery advice needed

I've been looking through battery threads here and they all seem to end up turning into a debate about whether Optima can hold up to TDI requirements. I don't want an Optima, but need advice.

Our 02 Golf seems to be pooping out, one day fine, the next day too low to start, but not completely dead. Happens about twice a year for about a year and a half. I always put it on the charger and then its good, this time I think it might be done.

So, I called around looking for an aftermarket battery and everyone is telling me that the Golf battery is smaller than the Jetta. They're saying to put a 47DL in??? What's up, I thought 94R was for both? Duralast 47 DL and Interstate MT47 seem to have the right AH, but the length is about 3 inches shorter than the OEM. Any thoughts?
chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 11:08   #2
Syndicate
Veteran Member

Why not run the Optima? I have used Optimas in all the cars I've owned and they work perfect... Actually better than perfect!
Syndicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 11:24   #3
chewbacca
Veteran Member

Just slightly concerned about the 20 below zero mornings that are coming 6 months. The dealership I bought our other TDI from put a smaller battery in with 70Ah when we bought it. It had been leftover on the lot and had a dead battery when we picked it up. I was comparing sizes of the two and realized this morning that the Jetta actually has a smaller battery in it than the Golf. This all makes sense since the Jetta has never started well in anything worse than 5 below zero.

Back to the Golf, I want something that says 80Ah and I know will fit. The group 47 has the right specs, but is really small. Anyone know if I am doing the right thing by putting a 94R in the Golf?
Old July 28th, 2007, 12:37   #4
Left Coast Resident
Ubẽr Clubbie

Optima vs Odyssey vs other brands -- you might as well be debating chip vs chip vs tuning box -- the debate will never go away.

After having 3 Optimas fail quickly in other cars over the years, I figured something was wrong, like maybe despite the continuous advertising, they aren't suitable for automotive charging characteristics and they aren't actually quite AGM technology (with enough persistent googling you'll turn up this information). Just my personal opinion, though. Don't actually expect me to be right. YMMV.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=176232

And yes, it spins it relentlessly, for as long as you dare if necessary -- tested this yesterday when I lost prime on the fuel pump (another story for another time and place).

One of my neighbors has a heavily modified Golf TDI and he has a noticeably smaller battery. I'm wondering if it's a gasser battery and battery box by mistake??? Just curiosity on my part, but anyone else with a Golf have the small battery???

And as far as I can see, there doesn't appear to be a reason why the larger battery box wouldn't fit in.

Al
"What luck for rulers that men don't think. And don't drive with Dave, no matter what!" -- attributed to Adolf H. ... "I yam what I yam not." -- If Popeye was Nietzsche ... "Those who cast the votes decide nothing, those who count the votes decide everything" -- attributed to Joseph Stalin, not to DOK
Left Coast Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 13:02   #5
tditom
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Golf: 54/48/43.5 B4 Passat: 52/48.5/45 B5.5 Passat: 30 mpg mixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbacca
...Back to the Golf, I want something that says 80Ah and I know will fit. The group 47 has the right specs, but is really small. Anyone know if I am doing the right thing by putting a 94R in the Golf?
First off, yes, you are doing the right thing by putting the 94R into the Golf. That is the OE size for these vehicles.

I'm confused by the bolded statement above. Do you mean that you have found a group 47 that has the 80Ah capability? (that's the spec that matters, BTW)
Why I recommend fuel additive.
tditom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 13:05   #6
chewbacca
Veteran Member

It's down to a duralast 94R (119.99) or a stealer OEM (I will install of course). I'm leaning toward the OEM since this is the original battery that I am just now replacing after 51/2 years with a few seriously cold winters. Anyone care to chime in?
Old July 28th, 2007, 13:07   #7
tditom
Veteran Member

what are the warranties?
Old July 28th, 2007, 13:07   #8
chewbacca
Veteran Member

Tom, I can't confirm it because I haven't seen the battery, but someone on the phone told me their 47 had 85Ah. Maybe its too good to be true or they're plain stupid. Lots of dead silence when I ask about Ah.
Old July 28th, 2007, 13:08   #9
chewbacca
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tditom
what are the warranties?
I think 70 months on the Duralast.
Old July 28th, 2007, 13:08   #10
tditom
Veteran Member

they probably meant RC instead of Ah.
Old July 28th, 2007, 13:09   #11
Franko6

I'm really not into who makes a better quality of lead... It's cranking amps and what kind of guarantee they give.

As it turns out, Interstate has the right size battery. What is really great is that a bunch of Interstate's batteries sat on the shelf long enough that Interstate had to rebuild them. That makes them 'used' and they are unable to sell them retail. $60 and away you go.

Don't get hung up on a name. Buy the battery that gives you the most bang for the buck.
417-232-4634
FranksTDIs@sbcglobal.net

'02 80k grey leather, 99.5 R.I.P 153k
'85A2 NA 375k, '91 A3 290k Always Silver, Always a Jetta
Franko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 13:13   #12
chewbacca
Veteran Member

Correction, the Duralast is an 8 years warranty, 3 year free replacement. The OEM is probably way lower, but they're closed today so I can't check.

I checked around for an interstate, but they're looking like about 60 dollars more. Are they really worth it?

Last edited by chewbacca; July 28th, 2007 at 13:16.
Old July 28th, 2007, 13:15   #13
tditom
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewbacca
...I checked around for an interstate, but they're looking like about 60 dollars more. Are they really worth it?
only if they last 50-60% longer. How much longer do you plan on holding onto this car?
Old July 28th, 2007, 13:17   #14
chewbacca
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tditom
only if they last 50-60% longer. How much longer do you plan on holding onto this car?
Hopefully, until the body falls apart. Tranny will probably go well before that, but I plan to either replace or swap for a manual when the day comes.
Old July 28th, 2007, 13:21   #15
tditom
Veteran Member

well I wouldn't count on the Interstate to last that much longer than an OE. But if you can find a reman like frank was talking about then that's a no-brainer.