Check engine Light - TDI Mechanic recommendation

TDI_Cubed

Veteran Member
TDI
14 BMW 328dX
My son left MD for Cincinnati this morning in our 2000 Golf TDI. He contacted me in West Virginia when the "Check engine Light" came on.
He was not having any power loss, and was able to restart the engine, so I told him he should continue on to Cincinnati. His ultimate destination is Boulder, CO via Nashville, TN.

I need some advice
- where to send him to have this properly diagnosed and corrected, either in the Cincinnati area or ?? Thanks in advanced!

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Just a thought. I changed my tail light bulbs to LED bulbs and it was not long that the CEL light came on on the highway. Scared the S*** out of me. All fluid levels were OK.
When I got home did the VAGCOM check and it showed an abnormal brake switch problem. Since the oil, water levels were where they are supposed to be I changed back to the regular bulb, cleared the error code and the light is off.
It could just be a faulty brake light out maybe? Wouldn't that be nice. Just my 02 worth.

BTW if anyone is thinking of using LED bulbs, you can fool the flasher and the fault code report by using a
50 watt 6 ohm resistor shunted across the power to the LED bulb and to GROUND (From the positive to the Negative).

ben stevens

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
you will need to find someone with a vagcom. i'll put money on a glowplug failure especially if when you restart and the cel is out for 60 seconds and then reappears.

jaydhall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE, 1999 NB, 1999.5 Jetta GLS, 2004 Jetta
Steve Carroll in Aurora CO is the local guru. Look him up and give him a call.

TDI_Cubed

Veteran Member
TDI
14 BMW 328dX
Thanks much. I will have my son look him up when he gets to CO. The CEL does stay off when restarting, and then come back on.

StElmo

Veteran Member
TDI
'08 Ram 2500 6.7; '15 Golf SportWagen
Could be an intermitant ground fault with the intake or an overboost condition. Had the same indications, with no adverse affect while driving. MIL came on after 30-180 seconds after normal starting.