Flashzilla - being delivered today

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI, was 06 Jetta TDI, 15 q7 tdi, was 11 Q7 TDI
According to Canada Post, Flashzilla 3.0 should be in my hot little hands today..... Oh the excitement! I am rushing to the post office afterwork and it's like early Xmas... wonder if I can get my stock files uploaded tonight....

This is for a 'fixed' 2015 q7 TDI... I have ordered a stage 2 tune...

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
According to Canada Post, Flashzilla 3.0 should be in my hot little hands today..... Oh the excitement! I am rushing to the post office afterwork and it's like early Xmas... wonder if I can get my stock files uploaded tonight....
This is for a 'fixed' 2015 q7 TDI... I have ordered a stage 2 tune...

After you follow the instruction it should take you about 12 minutes to pull the OEM tune.
Then SAVE on your hard drive it just for the heck of it and send the file to the tuner.

I'm assuming that you are dealing with Malone in BC. They are 3 hours behind so you might even get your Stage 2 back on the same day.

It will take quite a bit longer to install the tuned file when you get it, so it might be a good idea to have a charger connected to your battery. Turn of the radio and fans too.

Last edited:

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
After you follow the instruction it should take you about 12 minutes to pull the OEM tune.
Then SAVE on your hard drive it just for the heck of it and send the file to the tuner.

I'm assuming that you are dealing with Malone in BC. They are 3 hours behind so you might even get your Stage 2 back on the same day.

It will take quite a bit longer to install the tuned file when you get it, so it might be a good idea to have a charger connected to your battery. Turn of the radio and fans too.

Thanks for the insight.... I can see myself heading out a touch early from work today.....

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Sportwagen, 96 Passat TDI Sedan
Not sure if it is the same on the Q7, but on my Sportwagen I need to pull a fuse to keep the cooling fans from turning on.

A battery charger is a good idea.

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
Flashzilla update...

- whole process was under an hour probably.

- after openning the package, connect the FZ to a windows computer and run updates from Malone's webpage. (5-10 minutes) FZ had to do a reboot a i think for more updates...

- connect fz to q7 to get stock file - it's small under 50Kb if I remember... Takes under a couple minutes including navigating to the right engine in the FZ menu.

- dload file from FZ to computer and email to malone, with particulars - your car, your desired tune, when you paid etc etc

within the hour I got the tune back and loaded into the FZ, and then to the car... Took under 20 minutes to transfer from FZ to q7... I had a 4 amp smart charger hooked to the 12v outlet in the car while the fz was writing the file. I left the key in the on position and went inside while FZ did it's thing... During this time, the front LED headlights were on, as well as the fog lights.... So a charger plugged in is probably a good thing... the FZ has a progress bar on the bottom, and also a screen telling you the writing is done. Turn off car and disconnect.

-----

Unfortunately I haven't been able to test out my stage 2 tune.... we got 6" of snow last night (1st significant snowfall of the year), and the roads are really greasy.... lot of ASR flashing lights when I get into the go pedal.. I'm hoping the roads dry up this afternoon and I'll try some passing on my commute home.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
It is imperative the battery voltage does not drop while flashing a tune, otherwise you get a bricked ECU, and then it is time to physically remove it from the vehicle and send it out to be repaired.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Thankfully the SUVs have larger batteries and the fan doesn't run. Have never run into a problem with this to be honest, even with the rad fans running on 09-14 MYs. Have had a couple of customers with weak batteries not use chargers on their ea189s and have no start conditions. Was sure we'd be recovering them on the bench, guess the file managed to fully write though because they fired right up once the battery was charged.

Definitely wouldn't recommend risking it though, modules should be flashed like a dealership would do it. In a safe location with a charger, assume the worst and make sure the vehicle wouldn't be trapped or leave you stranded.

Enjoy the tune!

Last edited:

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
I took a couple trips this weekend with my son and his hockey bag in our freshly tuned Stage 2 2015 q7 TDI... on 255/55r18 winter tires

Friday on my commute home from work, fuel economy was avg 7.5L/100km for a 41.0km commute over 32 minutes.... indicated 85-95kph on the speedometer... no passing anyone, because it wasn't really worth it...

Sunday, managed 8.0L/100km average on the trip odometer on our trip to T.O. for my neice's 7 year old bday party... did 110km in 1:05 minutes door to door. The 401 was light traffic, so indicated cruising speeds were in the 125kph range, with some quick spurts to bring on the grin factor... This was on winter tires 255/55r18, so the diameter may be a couple % below stock.

On the way to my son's hockey game after the bday party, we went from downtown T.O. to New Hamburg... traffic was a bear. There was an accident just after the Mavis Road on ramp, Fuel Economy was I believe 8.4L/100km....

------

Full Throttle acceleration from a rolling start to 80kph.... q7 seems to hit 3000rpm and stay there and then the tranny shifts through the lower gears while maintaining a 3K rpm on the engine... Is this normal? is this part of the post fix tune on the TCM? Anyone have insight?

So far, I rate the tune 10/10. I've driven with a Malone Stage 1.5 tune on my 2006 BRM Jetta TDI for the past 4.5 yrs and 150,000km... no complaints on that tune either. That vehicle gets pretty much 5.5L/100km over the past 4+ yrs...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
2nd tank of diesel done in the tuned q7

67.4L for 773km.... 8.72L/100km

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Any update on the TCU adjusting to the tune?

yahmon

Veteran Member
TDI
04 passat tdi 6spd stage2 webasto TC3 , 04 passatW8 6 spd, 10 Jetta TDI 6spd stage 1
Just flashed my 2010 jetta tdi using a kessv2 clone this morning with 180hp dpf egr cat delete tune. Sure picked up lots of steam

Last edited:

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
Any update on the TCU adjusting to the tune?
Nothing to note...

I'm fairly happy with the TCU, but I have not driven this model yr pre fix.

It is miles ahead of our old 11 q7 tdi that we sold back to vw.

Fuel economy has fallen to 10L/100km... I think we are getting straight winter blend now for diesel locally

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Last edited: