www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old November 13th, 2018, 17:28   #16
RabbitGTI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Don't know. I just feed it and drive.

Redefines the term "space junk".
Old Yesterday, 11:28   #17
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Funny thing is, they removed a bunch of stuff from the car, much of what makes it a "Tesla", so... they launched a Lotus into space sans the Toyota powertrain.
What did they remove? I wasn't aware they took anything out

The only major things the Tesla Roadster and Lotus share are the dash and windshield. 93% of the parts are different.

-J
2013 Fiat 500e. 33,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 323,000 miles. Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
2012 Passat SE TDI DSG. 114,000 miles. LED tails, Memory Seat, HIDs. Bought back by VW.
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles. Sold to Matt98AHU w/ flat camshafts.
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.
Thank you for giving me the BUG*PWR award. It means a lot to me!

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:39   #18
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

You can see straight through the front fender well to the other side, and in the NASA channel special they talked about how they removed some of the battery stuff and few other items. It actually wasn't for weight reduction as much as weight distribution. They actually WANTED weight up there because that was the whole point, to test the lifting capability of the FH launch vehicle. They offered to lift something for NASA but NASA refused. LMAO.... so it is extra awesome that it went off without any hiccups to thumb the eye of the goons at NASA.

Believe it or not, they usually use cement as a weight for experimental lifts like that. Cheap, inert, and can be made into any shape you like, and it is heavy.

Last edited by oilhammer; Yesterday at 12:51.
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 13:30   #19
jmodge
Veteran Member

I like the tag on the dash that reads, Made in America by Humans, or USA, whichever the case is. I did not find the photo again.
Old Yesterday, 15:03   #20
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmodge View Post
I like the tag on the dash that reads, Made in America by Humans, or USA, whichever the case is. I did not find the photo again.
I thought that was a good touch on the circuit board too. "Made on Earth by humans". I think that's so the lizard people living on Earth in a million years can appreciate mammalian technology.

Edit: that image is at the very end of the video linked above

Last edited by turbobrick240; Today at 06:30.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 17:28   #21
quartersaw
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Passat:44mpg Golf 52MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Funny thing is, they removed a bunch of stuff from the car, much of what makes it a "Tesla", so... they launched a Lotus into space sans the Toyota powertrain.

But it was a fun thing for a mega-gajillionaire and his disciples to get enthused about. So that's cool.
To me the best part of the whole project is the reusable boosters that can land themselves. For getting non-human stuff into space quickly, the FH is the ticket. Russians are working on something even bigger.
I'm quite sure the Tesla is in an eccentric orbit, and will be headed back towards us, at some point. It won't be leaving the Solar System, and the orbit has likely been already plotted.
quartersaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:51   #22
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

It is in a near-Mars orbit. But orbital mechanics are complex, as in addition to the planets going around the sun in a non-circular orbit at different speeds and being bounced around by each other, the sun itself is being spun around an arm of the Milky Way galaxy. So the planets (and everything else spinning around the sun) are actually going through space in a giant corkscrew pattern.

It is amazing they can plot things with the accuracy that they do, given it is really a crap ton of math and most of it is done by gravity. A lot of which is just now (like, within the last 10 years) becoming possible. Because we finally have the computing power to actually chomp through these vast and lengthy calculations within a human's lifetime.

The Tesla Spaceman's solar orbit will no doubt be influenced to some degree by these gravitational forces, especially by our system's gentle giant watchdog, Jupiter, which sends things all over the system wobbling. It even gives the SUN a "tide" of sorts, in the same manner the moon effects our oceans!

And when Jupiter and Saturn are in a line together, which happens every so often, it pulls the sun towards them due to both those gas giants' combined gravity. This happens over a long period, as their solar orbits take much, much longer. When the clockwork is such that Earth finds its way in the middle, we have hotter, harsher weather, which can last for a thousand years. When they are apart, we get colder, dryer weather, which can also last for a thousand years. Ice Ages. Fascinating stuff, and like I said much of this science is still unfolding (we JUST found out more about Pluto last year than we knew from its discovery until then).

You can probably tell I read WAY too much and spend WAY too much time watching the NASA channel, LOL. Still, an interest of mine outside of cars, as few as those interests are.
Old Today, 06:51   #23
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

^ Yeah, Jupiter is huge. So massive that it actually orbits a point in space just outside of the sun. It has some pretty awesome moons too.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:17   #24
jmodge
Veteran Member

2091 was the estimate to come close to earth, every 30 years after that. Not thinking I will stay up that late