Conventional oil installed by dealer

tacomafitch

TDI
2013 Golf
Hello

I’m looking at a 2013 Golf Tdi at a Toyota dealer. They put conventional oil in it. Any harm done with my 20 mile test drive ? I told them to dump it and put in correct oil. Thank you

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
As long as it was the proper weight and the proper amount, It's totally fine. Think of it as an oil flush.lol

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
As long as it was the proper weight and the proper amount, It's totally fine. Think of it as an oil flush.lol
For 20 miles, yes. For a longer distance, no. There are a host of issues you could face with "conventional" oil, especially if it's non-synthetic. Emissions systems issues, of course, as well as piston ring coking, and other problems.

Oil specs exist for a reason.

tacomafitch

TDI
2013 Golf
For 20 miles, yes. For a longer distance, no. There are a host of issues you could face with "conventional" oil, especially if it's non-synthetic. Emissions systems issues, of course, as well as piston ring coking, and other problems.
Thank you for the input

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
did i say it was good to go, NO, i directly answered his question.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the question is was 20 miles a big deal with conventional, the answer is no, and others put in an argument that was not necessary. '
your post is pointless.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
All that IBW did was elaborate on your statement, not argue with it. Done here.

the question is was 20 miles a big deal with conventional, the answer is no, and others put in an argument that was not necessary. '
your post is pointless.

tacomafitch

TDI
2013 Golf
I appreciate everyone’s input. I just wanted to confirm what believe was true. I understood what everyone said. I’m psyched about my first diesel. Thank you

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
its a good car, keep up on regular maintenance and quality parts and low on the mods list, Check with us on ANY mod you are thinking about and you will do fine. There are plenty of posts here about just about every mod you can thing about.
3 best things you can have on your car. Quality tires, Breaks, and rainx (wiper fluid or other)
If you do lots of normal short trips, go for a nice spirited back road sprint now and again, dont have to go crazy buut up on the revs a bit and nice and hot.
Look into quality car detailing waxes and so on.
A modest amount of work will keep it looking and feeling like a new car for a very long time and no reason you cant get her to 400K.

tacomafitch

TDI
2013 Golf
its a good car, keep up on regular maintenance and quality parts and low on the mods list, Check with us on ANY mod you are thinking about and you will do fine. There are plenty of posts here about just about every mod you can thing about.
3 best things you can have on your car. Quality tires, Breaks, and rainx (wiper fluid or other)
If you do lots of normal short trips, go for a nice spirited back road sprint now and again, dont have to go crazy buut up on the revs a bit and nice and hot.
Look into quality car detailing waxes and so on.
A modest amount of work will keep it looking and feeling like a new car for a very long time and no reason you cant get her to 400K.
Thank you for the help. It will need tires. What do you suggest

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
i have a '12 CC, it takes 'W' rated tires, not inexpensive.
for older cars,,most id say 'H' rated tires at the least, higher rating if you feel, or know you need. better brands have better results, for the most part(price, to need, to habits, and such).
newer cars i think they call for certain tires, you can now decide how much you want to spend per tire, on different brands.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I like General Altimax RT43s. Ride great, good in rain, reasonably priced. And quiet. Bridgestone Ecopias are also good but tend to get noisy as they wear. And Michelin Primacys are good, but Energy Savers provide poor enough road grip to be, in my opinion, dangerous.