www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Road Trips

Road Trips Discussions about road trips you have made with your TDI.

Old February 22nd, 2019, 12:35   #16
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

They are all kind of like the "WalMart" in nowhere gas station.
Old February 22nd, 2019, 13:25   #17
Jetta SS
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '98 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamatt View Post
Not a truck stop but can't beat our bucc-ees here in Texas. https://tinyurl.com/y27cvfjb . Hogtraps, deer stands, deer corn, beef jerky, 5% biodiesel, coffee , breakfast tacos, shark bait (whole bonita and stingray), fishing junk pretty much anything.
I like the one we have in Alabama also. Thats a big ass gas station. Weird thing is they sell food, but nowhere to eat it. I saw a bunch of folks tailgating it in the parking lot.
Jetta SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2019, 13:32   #18
iamatt
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
They are all kind of like the "WalMart" in nowhere gas station.
Getting big for sure. Used to live right by their HQ in LJ. Rather go there than some dumpy raghead station with sketchy pumps and bathroom. Seem like we spend 100 bucks everytime we stop at one.
2014 Jetta TDI sedan (new) ,2014 TDI Jetta Sport Wagon 6MT (Flooded) Amsoil HDD3000 20K OCI, GSP Mod (RIP Rosie 4/4/2015), 2011 Toyota 4 Runner SR5 (Flooded), 2007 Duramax (Flooded), slightly modded GSPv2 is here, Bellatrix "Bella" Hunting God's County, katygsp.com
Amsoil Dealer -
http://www.texas-synthetics.com
iamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2019, 21:04   #19
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

I don't go to either of those kinds of stations. I am only there for fuel. I can understand why a trucker might like some of the things offered there, not necessarily a regular motorist though. It is nice that they have 100 pumps or more but the ones I have been to are always crowded regardless and jockeying to find an open pump. Their prices for things there are pretty expensive I thought as well. My brother had me stop at one on our way back from Kansas to Texas. It was very nice and clean, offered a lot, and the food choices were very good and quality seemed excellent. Getting any fuel though was a huge exercise as it seemed almost every pump was being used and/or blocked by people shopping in the warehouse sized building. I much prefer a smaller, regular sized, quality station. When I am traveling I have no need for 99.9% of the other stuff they are selling. I might use the restroom and buy a drink when stopping. For meals I would rather a nice sit down restaurant to take a break and have a nice meal. Who buys a smoker or hog trap when traveling?
Old February 23rd, 2019, 05:44   #20
Jetta SS
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '98 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 48

They're catering to family travelers. Just like stuckey's back when I was young. Was in one in FL recently minus the grill but still the same, they have more interesting stuff than Bucee's. Aisles of knives and collectables, then when you checkout theres a bin with plastic brass knuckles for cheap.

I'll never forget "The Thing" in NM. As a 10 yr old, I was riding in the back seat seeing billboards for at least 100 miles - so you know they had to stop for me .

BTW, whatever happened to TITS? (Texas Interstate Truck Stops)
Jetta SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2019, 09:03   #21
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2018 to end of April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta SS View Post
They're catering to family travelers. Just like stuckey's back when I was young. Was in one in FL recently minus the grill but still the same, they have more interesting stuff than Bucee's. Aisles of knives and collectables, then when you checkout theres a bin with plastic brass knuckles for cheap.
I'll never forget "The Thing" in NM. As a 10 yr old, I was riding in the back seat seeing billboards for at least 100 miles - so you know they had to stop for me .

Didn't know Stuckeys is/are still around. I seem to remember driving to Florida in the 70's and they were selling 5 hamburgers for $ 1.00
All LED interior bulbs. Several VCDS mods. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Malone DSG tune. Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes. LED DRL's. 24mm H&R rear sway bar. Phase 1 & Phase 2 done.
Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2019, 09:22   #22
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

There is one between Houston and Beaumont on IH10. We have stopped at it a few times to get a pecan log roll my wife and her family likes. Brings back memories of their past younger days when traveling. They also have a web site as well.
Old February 25th, 2019, 05:14   #23
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta SS View Post

Sounds a bit like South of the border in SC. They must have 50 billboards up around that place. Maybe I'll stop in one of these days. I only ever get people coming up asking for money when I travel. I think the out of state plates make you a target for these folks. I've bought some food for a few of them , but generally don't give them cash.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2019, 06:20   #24
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

You guys must be sending out some kind of a signal. I've driven all over the country and stopped at many, many truck stops and service areas. Never been solicited for money. Not once.
Old February 25th, 2019, 07:28   #25
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

It mostly happens to me down south in poorer areas. I also get approached more often in those areas by people who just want talk about my car and travelling/road trips in general. I remember sort of ignoring a guy who was approaching once thinking he wanted to bum some money, but he was a really cool guy. He just liked my car and wanted to talk about it and road trips. He had a bug in his youth and had travelled up the Al-can highway and all over the country with it.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 07:11   #26
Ton
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42-51

Any care to share some truck stop stories?
Ton is offline   Reply With Quote