Is the fuel timing pump covered past 24k??!

TRryn

Veteran Member
Last new guy question, promise!!

I've done a search and gotten conflicting reports regarding replacement of the fuel timing pump. Some posters have quoted astonishing expense, and have insisted that it is not covered past the 2 yr 24k mark.

I just got into a 2k nb tdi, and I'm on the verge of replacing wife's Intrepid with a Jetta gls tdi for her major-*ss commute, but I'd like either warnings or reassurances regarding the above; maybe this is a part that isn't known to fail, but it still sounds a bit scary.....

cars wanted

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS-TDI, 2000, white/beige
I had a 1982 diesel Rabbit that I drove for 220,000 miles. It went to the Old Volk's Home with the original fuel pump, so I don't think it is likely to fail, fortunately. I recall that the fuel pump for that car was also hideously expensive. However, after quite a few years, there will be a supply of used and rebuilt fuel pumps for our cars becoming available, I'm sure. I have seen used and rebuilt fuel pumps for my 1.6 L Rabbit engine for as little as US$250 to $400. Since this is a reliable "life of car" part, I wouldn't be too worried about using a used or rebuilt pump in this case, if worst came to worst.

Stainlessillusion

Veteran Member
I spent some time a my local VW dealer last
night talking about a NB. I also talked
a long time with the service manager and
a few technicians. From what they told me,
they have never had a problem covering the
diesel fuel pump under the 100,000 mile
warranty. They said they only had one issue
several years back that wasn't covered because of water contamination in the pump
and had rusted the internal components
of the pump. They also assured me that
a failure of that pump is so rare, its not worth stressing over. They also informed me
that they work with some diesel company that
rebuilds pumps for them so they can help
folks out that have fuel pump problems. He
went on to say that the turbo and exhaust manifolds on the TDI are also covered under the 100,000 warranty and to also keep good documentation of oil changes and maintainence
records and I will not have any problems.
He said the pump will fail very early or last
the life of the engine if you take care of it
and use good fuel and additives.

dparnell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I asume we're talking about the injection pump. I just pulled the pump from my Onan generator(with 3 cylinder kubota engine). The generator has 3800 hr=127,000 miles. The rebuild will cost $250-400 with 2 hrs labor @$20/hr. It's tiny---about the size of two cigarette packs. I have been religious about putting lubricity additives in the fuel. I just hope the TDI pumps last ALOT longer.

------------------