Basic turbo upgrade questions on alh

g0nefish1n

TDI
2001 NB alh
I've done a lot of searching, but there seems to be a lot of misinformation.
My turbo is in need of replacement on my 2001 alh. I have a new vnt17 ready to bolt on. Also, a brm manifold on the way. Question, will the stock alh hose that connects to the intake manifold fit a race pipe on the brm manifold? Or do I need a brm hose? What's that hose called? Is it a pressure hose?
I have read a lot about connecting the vnt17 to the stock alh side mount intercooler. Is there a cheaper way then the 80$ billet Adapter? Thanks.

Will this hose work to connect a vnt17 to stock alh intercooler?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BAPMIC-Tur...m=273761206485&_trksid=p2349624.c100935.m2460

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
silicone coupers, razor blade and some pipe and some clamps

g0nefish1n

TDI
2001 NB alh
Does anyone know if the hose i linked in the first post will connect a vnt17 to the stock intercooler? its much cheaper then the other alternatives.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
That hose is a double snap fit, so that clips to the turbocharger (assuming yours has that style connection), and then clips to the charge air pipe running in the fender area.

An ALH could have that OR a conventional hose and spring clamp connection on that pipe. You will need to look on your car, we cannot see it. If it has that type of connection, then yes it will work. If it does not, then no it will not.

I should warn you, the Chinabay TDI charge air pipes and intercoolers are generally garbage, and blow apart in short order, especially if you have any mods that increase stock boost. There is zero chance I would put a $35 charge air hose on my car.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
^^^^^^
thats why some hefty silicone couplers and rolled edged pipe would do the trick. MUST have rolled edges. Ive been running 28 to 32 PSI on them and have NEVER had a pipe come apart that was not rolled or flared.
you get what you pay for man

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Gonefishin,

NO, the ebay you listed will not work. I know, because I ordered one and it did not fit the opening on the VNT17 turbo. Your best bet would be to find a BEW hose that runs from the turbo to the intercooler pipe OR buy the Gates 26214 turbocharger pipe that fits.

A used OEM VW pipe would fit the best. The Gates 26214 pipe fits, but you have to slightly twist it for it to connect.

If you're installing a new VNT17, make sure you also install a new flexible, braided steel oil line.

Eric