www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old October 4th, 2014, 21:55   #1
annamei

Exclamation 2013 Golf glow plug light/check engine light

2013 Golf TDI 4-door, 20,825 miles /purchased Sept. 2012 has had all of its regular checkups & maintenance.

This is my first brand new car and first diesel so forgive my ignorance on the proper terms/engine knowledge. I've owned 2 used GTIs that I loved but dumped heaps of cash into to keep them running.

Today while driving about 2 miles after starting my car the glow plug light(?) started flashing and it felt like I lost power. I got to a safe place about 500 feet after, pulled over, turned off the car and started it again it seemed ok for a minute but then it started flashing again then the check engine light came on, I turned it off and it wouldn't turn back on (made a clicking noise). I had my infant daughter in the car and it was 100 degrees out today so I was pretty upset after calling VW roadside assistance and being told a tow truck was at least an hour away when I was in the middle of a busy populated area of town.

When I got to the dealer they asked what happened, I explained and they said "welp, we're really busy today, service isn't open tomorrow so we probably won't get to it until monday" and tried to send me on my way. I asked for a loaner and they said ok, when I asked if I was going to have to pay for the loaner they said depending on what is wrong with my car yes - if its the battery or something. I realize this isn't their fault but it smelled like an ashtray and was filthy. My daughter & I both have asthma and cannot be around cigarette smoke so I drove it back to swap it out and they were pretty rude. I'm getting off track here but is this normal behavior from the dealer? Am I just being overly sensitive? When I took it in for regularly schedule maintenance I never got this kind of treatment.

I LOVE this car and on one hand I'm glad that this happened while its still under warranty but I'm worried, am I going to have another VW that costs more to repair then a new car payment? Is it time to think about trading it in?
annamei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2014, 21:57   #2
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Normal behavior from a dealer? Unfortunately we see poor dealer service too often.

You won't have to pay for the loaner because there is obviously something wrong with your car. A flashing glow plug light indicates a major fault.
Old October 5th, 2014, 03:43   #3
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

Let's hope it's just the Saturday crew that didn't really want to be there that was being less than " kind". Even if it is a battery, and it is not, we are talking about a very new car. I would just assume they will cover everything including the loaner even if it is a battery that should last a minimum of 4-5 years.
Tdijarhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 04:37   #4
Matt927
Veteran Member

TDI(s): several

Did the motor crank normally but just not turn over?
Matt927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2014, 06:39   #5
annamei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt927 View Post
Did the motor crank normally but just not turn over?
After the second time the light came on & CEL came on it when I tried turn it over the dash lights, A/C, radio, etc came on but the engine just made a whine then a loud click. I was pretty distracted with a crying baby so I don't have much more detail then that, I didn't keep trying because I didn't want to flood the engine or do more damage. The tow truck driver kind of treated me like a dumb girl and said it was probably the battery and tried to turn it over too but it made the same loud whine then click noise. Living in the desert I've had to replace batteries every 2 years even if you pull maintenance on them. If it was just the battery I would have had a friend jump me but it didn't sound like that to me. Does that make sense?

Also while I was sitting waiting I had ample time to read my entire warranty handbook and it says the battery is only covered for 2 years/22000 miles and I am just over 1 month over 2 years.
Old October 5th, 2014, 11:52   #6
Matt927
Veteran Member

I unfortunately do not think it was a battery issue. You don't happen to to know any of the codes pulled?
Old October 5th, 2014, 11:55   #7
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Loud whine then click sounds like the starter trying to turn over, but not having enough power to do so.
Old October 5th, 2014, 11:59   #8
annamei

Quote:
I unfortunately do not think it was a battery issue. You don't happen to to know any of the codes pulled?
No I don't, as far as I know it hasn't even been looked at yet. Will they give the codes to me on a report about the repair or do I need to ask for them?
Old October 5th, 2014, 14:02   #9
Matt927
Veteran Member

They should give them to you on the work order. When they call you ask them, I'd be interested to know.

Hopefully it is an easy and quick fix.

Last edited by Matt927; October 5th, 2014 at 15:00.
Old October 6th, 2014, 09:42   #10
annamei

Ok I just spoke with the dealer and they said there were no codes? This sounds incorrect to me - wouldn't the CEL register some codes? Anyhow he said its the High Pressure Fuel Pump - the bearings failed, they need to get the parts from VW and they're keeping my car until at least Thursday.
Old October 6th, 2014, 10:01   #11
Matt927
Veteran Member

That is what I thought. Read up on VW HPFP failure. Tons of info here.

Go onto NHTSA's website and report your failure there to add to the ongoing investigation.

Also add your failure here and you will see you are not alone.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=299854
Old October 6th, 2014, 10:19   #12
annamei

Quote:
That is what I thought. Read up on VW HPFP failure. Tons of info here.

Go onto NHTSA's website and report your failure there to add to the ongoing investigation.

Also add your failure here and you will see you are not alone.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=299854
Thanks for the info Matt927. I just reported to NHTSA, does that actually help with recalls?
Old October 6th, 2014, 10:54   #13
Matt927
Veteran Member

Probably not, until someone is hurt. Their investigation and engineering analysis has been ongoing for years but still not closed.

VWOA also recently issued a memo to its service departments to retain and ship back all failed HPFP units for further analysis.

Do you remember where you purchased fuel last? You might want to contact the station and see if anyone else has reported problems with the last diesel load.

I am going to assume you never used a diesel fuel additive?
Old October 6th, 2014, 11:08   #14
annamei

I know exactly where I purchased fuel from last because I was on my way out of town for a business trip and stopped at a station I don't normally go to.
On 09/22/2014 at a Shell station just off the freeway in an upscale shopping center:
http://www.phoenixgasprices.com/Shel...163/index.aspx

I always save my receipts so that I can check my fuel economy but I put them in my glove box so it is in my car at the dealer right now. Will they be able to tell from the date & time which batch my fuel came from? And I guess the bigger question, will they care?

I have never used an additive. The reason I joined this site is because I was interested in using alternative diesel but after reading about it I realized that I don't have the time, energy or room to store and deal with WVO.
Old October 6th, 2014, 12:47   #15
Matt927
Veteran Member

WVO won't work in a CR TDI regardless. Some swear by fuel additives like Optilube to help improve the lubricity of our questionable US diesel supply among other things.

Stations are responsible for the fuel they sell and have a guarantee on it, chances are slim but you never know.

Ask your dealer if they took a fuel sample.