How-To Remove/Install the Misfuel Adapter 2013 Jetta

RDC98tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta 6MT Prem / (RIP) '98 Jetta 5MT [280k+mi]
So no one answered, can the pre-installed ones that came with 2013+ be removed with these procedures, or where those for the 2010+ that the dealer installed afterwards?

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
Good question. I'd say compare the pictures to see if all of the same tabs etc are there then go for it.

ottomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golfwagen SE 6MT
I'm having problems. On my 2012 Jetta the dealer put a mis -fuel adapter. A white plastic thing with fingers which I removed, However it almost seems like they did something else cuz it still is a pain to fill.
Mine does not look anything like the pics. No tabs(4&10) ect. It almost seems as though they removed the metal ring (threads for fuel cap) & installed the piece with flapper and arms. Anyone else have the same?
Can metal ring be removed??

ottomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golfwagen SE 6MT
Fixed it. Put a couple of holes above the flap on each side.
Filled up, no problems

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
So no one answered, can the pre-installed ones that came with 2013+ be removed with these procedures, or where those for the 2010+ that the dealer installed afterwards?
Pulled the stupid thing from my early 2013 (haven't messed with figuring the date of mfg) without any problems after I'd found the proper tool to unlock the locking tabs.

The older models that they're inflicting this contraption on may have needed newer style filler necks to lock the adapter in place. When I removed it from my 2013 the inside of the neck had a constriction that allowed the adapter to lock into it. It's still large enough to stuff the nozzle into the filler neck up to the hilt.

TiggyTDI

TDI
TDI
There is a German VW/Audi part which will help us new TDI owners deal with the wide pump necks at truck stops... http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2418

Most are new changing over but its nice for $11 and even comes with a storage container and gloves.
Curious....does this allow you to pump at a decent speed or does the steppedown size of the neck defeat the purpose?

For those offering to buy: VW issued a "service recall" for my 2012 TDI offering to install it for free: just go to your dealer and I'm sure they'll give it to you at no cost.

(Incidentally, I asked them if it might make it harder to fuel up with it installed, and they said nah; the next day when I tried to fill up, I apparently was at a station that didn't have standard diesel size nozzles. I was seriously cheezed!)
Daughter took TDI in for 30K last week and was offered this because it came up as a recall when they brought her car up...we all got the letter. Our concern was also truckstop pumps and in her area thats all there is within 20 miles of her apt. She was also told that about 75% of the people that are having them installed are bringing them back saying take this crap out. We are opting not to install....we are super wierd about loaning cars anyway so dont think it will be an issue and if we have to we will just fuel it oursevles first.

Vvarak

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta
Short answer no, after removing the misfuel adapter the remaining inlet diameter is slightly over 1 inches (1.030"). According to some online reports truck diesel nozzles are 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 inches in diameter. Gasoline nozzles are 13/16 inch and auto diesel is 15/16 inch diameter.

I read this whole post, and this is the only mention whether the truck stop nozzles will fit after removing the mis=fuel adapter. But this reply seems theoretical.

Has anyone tried the large truck stop pumps? I use this a lot and would like to know if this will work?

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
I got it!!

I got it out! It looks nothing like the pics in the OP, but it's out. If anyone else's looks like mine, feel free to contact me and I can elaborate on the process. Basically, I got out there with a flat head and pried the thing out :D
The little black tabs get pried apart by a diesel nozzle which releases the silver tab allowing it into the filler neck. Kinda like a chastity belt.

I made this hook tool out of a thin piece of scrap, but I made the hook too big. I ended up just using the flat head and needle nose to get it all out. The silver flappy thing I basically just yanked out.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
Filled up on the way home last night. NO problems! What's got 2 thumbs and is super happy? THIS guy!!

zoominMS3

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 GOLF TDI
Filled up on the way home last night. NO problems! What's got 2 thumbs and is super happy? THIS guy!!
mine looks like yours.. Can you give me any pointers on getting mine out? This thing friggin blows.. makes filling up a pain in the ass and also additives are a paint too

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
It was a huge pain. Pretty sure there was a lot of pulling with some needle-nose pliers. I seem to remember being able to pry a lot of the outside loose with a small flat blade screwdriver, but it's been a while honestly.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
mine looks like yours.. Can you give me any pointers on getting mine out? This thing friggin blows.. makes filling up a pain in the ass and also additives are a paint too
The 2009 to 2012 TDIs did not come with a misfueling guard, it was added on by the dealers as a "service action". Here is the official VW document that describes the installation: http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/20T8_-_Circular.pdf
Removal of this device is exactly the opposite of installing it. once you see how it is installed, it is pretty easy to remove.

Starting with the 2013 model year, a misfueling device was installed at the factory and it is a different design, so removal is different. The OP's post is about removing this device on a 2013+ Jetta/Golf. I am not certain whether the Passat (NMS) design is the same or different.

Have Fun!

Don

zoominMS3

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 GOLF TDI
The 2009 to 2012 TDIs did not come with a misfueling guard, it was added on by the dealers as a "service action". Here is the official VW document that describes the installation: http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/20T8_-_Circular.pdf
Removal of this device is exactly the opposite of installing it. once you see how it is installed, it is pretty easy to remove.

Starting with the 2013 model year, a misfueling device was installed at the factory and it is a different design, so removal is different. The OP's post is about removing this device on a 2013+ Jetta/Golf. I am not certain whether the Passat (NMS) design is the same or different.

Have Fun!

Don
Thanks!

rsudol

TDI
Jetta
or you could just rip it out because it got stuck on the auto fuel adpater at a brand new service station and be done with it. Got to love plastic parts.

TDIadvocate

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
To all removing the mis-fuel adapter, the pictures and instructions in this thread for 2012 and earlier TDI's are as perfect as one can get. I removed mine following the instructions in less than 5 minutes. The only modification I made was using thin picture wire I made a large loop to grip the silver flap, so it would not fall back into tank. I believe what can go wrong, will go wrong, for me. For the cautious, I looped the thin wire around the flap hinge, then I used the coat hanger to grip the hinge where the hinge spring is and pulled up (or out) while using a thin screw driver prying the silver tab away from filler neck wall. Out it came.

Back to normal tank filling like the Jetta use to be. May the next 54,000 miles be a joy to add fuel on the way to 100,000 miles.

One more comment while I have a few readers, I also have a 2011 BMW 335d, never have had any intercooler icing, no HPFP defects, no exhaust flap valve freeze up, no A/C switch spring breakage, and NO STICKERS TO USE ONLY Diesel FUEL. But I only get 41 MPG on highway with 335d, whereas I do get a true 50+ with the 2012 TDI.

Den

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Baltic Green & 2015 Passat SE TDI 6 spd. auto.
Has anyone tried to remove the mis-fueling guard on a 2014 Passat?
I tried all the tricks posted but it will not come out. It wiggles and seems to be loose as a goose but will not come out. When using a thin devise at either 10 or 4 o clock positions they go in and bottom out that's it. just bottom out with a thud and will not go in any further no matter the pressure applied. Any thoughts? I suppose i could destroy it.:mad:

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
I tried all the tricks posted but it will not come out. It wiggles and seems to be loose as a goose but will not come out. When using a thin devise at either 10 or 4 o clock positions they go in and bottom out that's it. just bottom out with a thud and will not go in any further no matter the pressure applied. Any thoughts? I suppose i could destroy it.:mad:
When I helped a friend remove his on a 2014 Passat, thje principal remained the same. I am not sure how you are doing things, but once you get the tabs pressed in at the 10 and 4 o'clock positions, it helps to have an extra set of hands pull uou on the misfuel adapter with a hook or similar. It took a bit of work but came out just fine for me.

zoominMS3

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 GOLF TDI
I asked the dealer to remove it because it's a pain in the ass and they removed it no questions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wolfkabal

TDI
13' MK6 Golf TDI 6MT
Just adding my $0.02, bought a used 2013 Golf TDI last week. Had the 'pleasure' of attempting to put the first tank of fuel into it this morning at a pleasant 8*F outside. Low and behold the Sheetz where I attempted to get fuel had the small diesel pumps. After reading through this thread, and looking at my car mine looks like a few others and looks like a more permanent fixture. It's too cold to deal with right now, but I'll take a second look later this week.

Other than this, been loving the car, for the 200 miles I've put on it so far.

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
I took mine out of my 2014 sport wagon was the exact same as the OP thanks for the photos helped allot. Not concerned about mis fuelling i've been tanking only diesel since 2007.

Coal Roller

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Premium DSG Reflex Silver
Had the dealer remove mine today. Upon inspection there appears to be some plastic "sleeve" still in the filler neck. Is this "normal"?

Cmasterj

TDI
Sportwagen
So, I found an easy way to remove the fuel guard on my 2014 Sportwagen.
Step 1) Fuel as normal, at your usual station.
Step 2) Head into the Dunkin Donuts for a fresh cup of java.
step 3) COMPLETELY space you're fueling up, and casually pull away from pump with pump handle still in the tank. Nearly die of embarrassment as the entire station notices what has happened. (Luckily, no fuel was spilled, and the station manager took the incident in stride)
step 4) after removing the now disengaged fuel guard, go to dealer as you're worried something else may be broken.
Step 5) Receive quote for $1136.00 to fix, as entire tank must now be replaced to make the repair. Swear profusely
Step 6) Wind up here after hyperventilating for a while, and after reading this thread, find no reason for alarm, or to even do the repair.
As a relatively new member who lurks most of the time, I am really thankful the forum provides such a resource.
Thanks a million (or, $1136.00)

Last edited:

solman1

TDI
14 Jetta TDI-DSG-Prem.
Missfuel guard

I have a 2014 MY Jetta. It comes with the fuel tank misfuel adapter installed. I don't find it to be a problem. Although I am the only driver you never know when the unexpected will happen and some gas jockey will try to put unleaded in the tank. Here in New Jersey you cannot pump your own gas it's against the law. I always jump out the car at the filling station and have to tell the attendant DIESEL please as they grab the gasoline nozzle.
Good luck getting warranty repairs on your fuel system without the guard in place if the car came with one.
Anyway removing the guard is a solution to a non problem in my opinion.
Just my opinion yours may vary.
Respectfully.....

zoominMS3

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 GOLF TDI
Having the pump click off every four seconds and spending ten minutes pumping fuel is actually a problem.

Since I've removed mine the pump never clicks off until the tank is full.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fav40

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL (BB 2/17/17) 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
Just removed mine today. Was fairly easy and looks easy enough to put back in if you want. I have a BP that has a gas nozzle for diesel that I use on occasion.

bagmite

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Actually it is legal to pump your own diesel in NJ, but few know this fact. The law only applies to gasoline. In fact, I purchase gas at a non-attended biodiesel pump at a fuel oil dealer in Rockaway NJ. It has a keypad and passcode and is heavily used by cars and trucks.