6 speed conversion kit

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Thanks Radim for keeping this post updated and open communication! I really want a kit.. but I am holding off as I will do the installation myself, but don't want to end up with a toasted transmission down the road.
HI,

If you ever pull the trigger on a kit PM me, I'd like to bribe you to install one for me too ;-)

(Not to many people in VA I know would even want to attempt this....install that is).

Thanks!

Andrew

greenie

TDI
2 ea. 96 passat tdi sedans Plus 96 Passat TDI wagon with 6th gear and they are all GREEN
Sorry everyone. I have had medical issues. I finally am on the mends and feeling a lot better. I have been in contact with Ramid and FedEx. I made a box using 3/4 ply, with one gear box and both kits. It weighs in at 149lb. I am told by FedEx I should have a shipping label e-mailed to me today. Fingers are crossed. Now that I am moving around freely I need to get my wagon, minus trans, out of my friends yard. I have a lot of projects I need to catch up on and priorities are my my TDI's.

greenie

TDI
2 ea. 96 passat tdi sedans Plus 96 Passat TDI wagon with 6th gear and they are all GREEN
Now, I bet no one will believe this but as soon as I sent last post, I received label from FEDex on behave of TNT. Check the time stamps!!!! Things are moving now.

greenie

TDI
And shortly after my last post, my FedEx man was at my door to pick up my box. It is now on it's way. Local time 04:14pm EST.

greenie

TDI
The shipment is now in Cologne, Germany (Koeln De).

greenie

TDI
Box is currently at a local FedEx facility in Prague CZ

greenie

TDI
Box has been delivered.

greenie

TDI
No. August 25th was last word I got from Ramid. He wrote the gearbox is in Prague, and he was dealing with the customs administration. He has not responded since. I am confused because FedEx responded with gearbox was delivered on August 21. We will see.

greenie

TDI
Just heard from Ramid. Customs still has it. They are working on it.

greenie

TDI
Ramid has my transmission

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Do you mind if I ask how much it cost to ship 149lbs over there via fedex?

greenie

TDI
I do not know yet. I shipped it to them using their TNT shipping account through FedEx here in the states. I hope to find out soon when Ramid informs me how much I owe him. :)

EuroTuning

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2,0TDI
Ramid has my transmission
We have disassemblied the gearbox and we have found a large play on tapered roller bearings ... they are not defined at all ... on tapered roller bearings a preload: http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen/golf-mk4/power_transmission/5-speed_manual_gearbox_02j/gearboxmechanicsgearsshaftsinternal_operation/adjusting_output_shaft/ of approximately 0.2 mm must be applied, but for example the most important one, bei constant gear (output shaft) has a play of 0.3 mm !!!

Although all the permanent gear nuts are tightened, the shaft is completely free ( see video ): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2dlgPu8jrboaklmSVl5R0ZyUTQ/view

There is no adjustment shim under the bearing thickness 0.5 mm. The same is on the imput shaft, there is 0.35 mm

This does not happen by usage, it is a poorly assembled gearbox.

This gearbox could not work, the malfunction would occur even if it was not modified.

Last edited:

edgewatertom

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta 5spd GLS; 2010 Jetta 6spd; 2003 Golf 2DR 5spd; 2016 GMC Canyon 2.8DuraMAX
Ramid please correct me if I'm wrong.

You think this transmission was rebuilt prior to the addition of or in conjunction with the addition of the 6th gear and the rebuild was not done properly.

Last edited:

EuroTuning

TDI
2,0TDI
Yes, that is what the facts say. By whom and when were the bearings changed should be known to the owner of said gearbox.

greenie

TDI
Ramid, I don't know about second kit but the first kit I installed kit on that gearbox as a stock, untouched and inspected as per this thread and your website. I do remember On the second time my local shop told me after larger bearings installed there was preload installed. I am repeating my self. Go back in this thread I think I put it all in. When the bearings were 'MODIFIED' the old bearings did not fail. I have photos showing no damage to the bearing bore. I am getting back with my local trans shop.

EuroTuning

TDI
2,0TDI
We have disassemblied the gearbox and we have found a large play on tapered roller bearings ... they are not defined at all ... on tapered roller bearings a preload: http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen/golf-mk4/power_transmission/5-speed_manual_gearbox_02j/gearboxmechanicsgearsshaftsinternal_operation/adjusting_output_shaft/ of approximately 0.2 mm must be applied, but for example the most important one, bei constant gear (output shaft) has a play of 0.3 mm !!!
Although all the permanent gear nuts are tightened, the shaft is completely free ( see video ): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2dlgPu8jrboaklmSVl5R0ZyUTQ/view
There is no adjustment shim under the bearing thickness 0.5 mm. The same is on the imput shaft, there is 0.35 mm
This does not happen by usage, it is a poorly assembled gearbox.
This gearbox could not work, the malfunction would occur even if it was not modified.
The gearbox we got has very poorly set preload on tapered shafts. The video shows how the shaft swings in the permanent gear area. The shaft must not move at all and must have a preload as explained below.

For this reason, the customer can not claim warranty, because that is only applicable only if all the other parts are in perfect condition, but this is not entirely evident in this case, yet we have not agreed upon this case...

Therefore, I will describe how to set up tapered roller bearings again:

Preload and its reason

Poorly laid shaft without preload:

Each shaft in the tapered roller bearings must be separately preloaded.

This is achieved by:

Tightening the nut or the washers under the outer ring of one of the bearings.

If we did not preload the shaft, the condition shown in the picture would happen. The outer rings would then be too far apart and the shaft would move in them, which would have a disastrous effect on:

Lifetime of bearings.
Lifetime of gears on shaft.
Noise of the device.

Reason for the required preload:

In order to achieve the proper functioning of the shaft mounted in tapered roller bearings and to avoid the condition described in the previous paragraph, it is necessary to achieve a certain but low "squeeze" of the shaft and of the two bearings. This is called pretension or preload.

Required accuracy:

Arrangement of tapered bearings into X, preload applied by washers under the bearing.

Reaching the required preload - individual mounting of each shaft.

If we want to achieve the correct preload, in practice we have to install each shaft separately. For example in the case of X-type arrangement, the actual position of the outer ring of the two bearings (usually measured by the depth of both boreholes for the outer rings in both boxes) and the actual shaft length between the outer rings must be individually measured for each assembled piece of gear. All these values ​​must make a difference within an accuracy of 0.01 mm.

From these values, for each assembled piece, the required thickness of the washer must be calculated separately, which, after mounting, will result in the required preload, which may be, for example, 0.27 mm. A qualified installer has available washers with thicknesses of 0.1; 0.05; 0.02 mm. He therefore selects 2 × 0.1 + 1 × 0.05 + 1 × 0.02 = 0.27 washers and inserts them under the outer ring of the left bearing.

Last edited:

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi
Hi, could I ask for a couple of part numbers?

The gearbox has done 228k miles total (the kit was fitted at about 110k miles). It's starting to show some signs of wear so I'm think it'd be a good idea to get it reconditioned. The kit was fitted in-situ without removing the gearbox, so the box has never been reconditioned before.

* The third gear only engages at the far end of it's travel - from what people say, this seems to be a common problem with older 02J boxes.

* The 5th gear is reluctant to engage unless you rev-match. I was thinking this could be syncro ring or maybe the adjustment washer at step 25 of the installation instructions has come out of adjustment? (it was fine for 10s of thousands of miles I don't see how it can have become out, but probably worth checking).

So the plan is to get the gearbox reconditioned, fix 3rd (probably new syncro?), and take a look at 5th, and maybe to change the clutch as well if it looks worn (it's also never been changed). If any of the other syncro rings look worn then they'd be replaced too.

Part numbers needed
* Syncro ring for 0.709 5th gear
* Syncro ring for 0.588 6th gear
* Anything else which might needed for reconditioning the gearbox (on top of the standard stuff)

Last edited:

EuroTuning

TDI
2,0TDI
The gearbox has done 228k miles total (the kit was fitted at about 110k miles). It's starting to show some signs of wear so I'm think it'd be a good idea to get it reconditioned. The kit was fitted in-situ without removing the gearbox, so the box has never been reconditioned before.
* The third gear only engages at the far end of it's travel - from what people say, this seems to be a common problem with older 02J boxes.
* The 5th gear is reluctant to engage unless you rev-match. I was thinking this could be syncro ring or maybe the adjustment washer at step 25 of the installation instructions has come out of adjustment? (it was fine for 10s of thousands of miles I don't see how it can have become out, but probably worth checking).
So the plan is to get the gearbox reconditioned, fix 3rd (probably new syncro?), and take a look at 5th, and maybe to change the clutch as well if it looks worn (it's also never been changed). If any of the other syncro rings look worn then they'd be replaced too.
Part numbers needed
* Anything else which might needed for reconditioning the gearbox (on top of the standard stuff)
Hello Mike,
You've got a great mileage on the gearbox, I think it's a normal wear and tear. I do not know exactly what could be wrong with the 3rd gear, the 5th and 6th gears will not get better with just a recondition. The gearbox should be disassembled and new synchronous rings should be put in.
The synchronous rings for the 5th and 6th gears are the same as for the 3rd and 4th. Part number VW: 02A 311 269 E
If you needed any details on how to disassemble our kit, just ask.
Radim

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Vento 1.9 TDi (retired), A4 1.9 TDi (rear end collision), VW Passat 1.9 TDi (retired), Audi A2 1.4 TDi
Hello Mike,
You've got a great mileage on the gearbox, I think it's a normal wear and tear. I do not know exactly what could be wrong with the 3rd gear, the 5th and 6th gears will not get better with just a recondition. The gearbox should be disassembled and new synchronous rings should be put in.
The synchronous rings for the 5th and 6th gears are the same as for the 3rd and 4th. Part number VW: 02A 311 269 E
If you needed any details on how to disassemble our kit, just ask.
Radim

Many thanks for the help :)

EuroTuning

TDI
2,0TDI
Part numbers needed
If the shifting has suddenly worsened then this might be your problem.

It is a potential issue of every VW gearbox, in which these springs secure locking piece in synchronizing hub:

The spring gets worn out, over the locking piece edges, clearly visible scratches in the picture:

And then it can happen that the spring will not last and breaks.
It sticks under the synchronous ring and causes the ring to remain in constant contact with the wheel. One of the shafts is continuously braked and influences the gear shift function:

That's how the synchronizing hub looked like in the gearbox we were repairing now for Greenje, who did not even tell us about it, and you will come to know about it only after you have pressed off the shaft.

Therefore, in any case, I recommend replacing these springs for anyone with a disassembled gearbox. There are 6, one costs 1.5 USD, but they can cause problems for hundreds of dollars.

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Many thanks for that :) The gearbox is in the workshop this week. When I dropped it off this weekend, I'm pretty sure he mentioned the springs as something that should be changed, but I will drop him a line just to confirm.

Bora-chiara

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH, BHW, CKRA
Hey everyone, bump for an update. Greenje, what’s the status and solution for you? How is everyone else getting along with more miles now? I’m seriously considering this but also cautious as previously mentioned.

MikeMars

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey everyone, bump for an update. Greenje, what’s the status and solution for you? How is everyone else getting along with more miles now? I’m seriously considering this but also cautious as previously mentioned.

I had the kit installed at ~130k miles (using the in-place installation, on a non-refurbished gearbox), and I'm currently at 259k miles. So I've driven the kit for ~129k so far. I did have the box refurbished a while ago at 228k miles. It's running really nicely now.

It would be most sensible to refurbish the gearbox at the same time as installing the kit, but I was curious about the in-place installation. I think there is now an option to have them ship a refurbished gearbox with the kit already installed rather than just the kit alone, this would be the safest (but most boring) way to do the upgrade.

Last edited:

D-cappz

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH, 6 speed, 4motion, fully loaded, leather heated interior, sunroof, steering wheel controls. Over 420,000km
I went a different rout with my build. I picked up a 6 speed 02M DVR Transmission that came from Europe. The cost is actually lower than doing the 6th gear add on.
Korwerks LLC. is where I got mine.
you can also get a rebuilt Euro 6 speed from dutchautoparts.

Last edited:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta