Engine troubles.

Helven Ink

Veteran Member
TDI
99 VW New Beetle 5-speed, manual
I feel like this is probably a pretty easy question to answer, but I couldn't find anything on the forum, and even though I've got the book, I can't find how to remove the tensioner. I think mine is bad. I've got a 99.5 beetle, and all I can really think is that the tensioner is supposed to spin like all the other pulleys and what-not that the aux belt runs on.
I did find where to get one on the forum, I'm gonna check out metalman, but I can't find the bolts that hold it into place.

Also, I'm trying to get the cylinder head off, because the 4th glow plug is stripped. I'm going to try and get it re-threaded, or heal-a-coiled. Does anyone have a better idea?

Jon

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You need the Bentley manual to help you. Read about timing belt replacements here. It sounds like you will need to be doing this if you remove the head and tensioner. You need special tools as well for this. Dieselgeek is a vendor here and is based in San Antonio now I think. Next day service at ground prices. Everything you need probably. anut is in Austin and the local guru now I think. Talk with him or let him teach you. Just some ideas while you wait for other reponses.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
so your aux belt isn't on the track? that would be a symptom of a bad tensioner...

if you are going to remove the head, you might as well do the timing belt while you are in there... you should be able to set the #4 cylinder at TDC to repair it while it's still in the car.

Why did you need to replace the glowplug in this heat? they don't fire up until it's below 40* F.

You have a company called www.Dieselgeek.com that's in your neck of the woods, they sell a ton of stuff...

Helven Ink

Veteran Member
TDI
I've already got the timing belt tools, and the timing belt was just changed about 1000 miles ago... It was done by Anut.
The problem was that it flooded down here in San Antonio a while ago, and I ended up with a hydro-locked engine.
Trying to fix the hydro-lock, I discovered that one of the glow plugs (#4) was stripped, and would not come out of the head, even though it was completely loose.
Now I'm using the bentley manual to take out the head, so I can get the glow plug hole re-threaded. I found that my tensioner was no good, (I think it may have rusted... I'm a little worried about it actually because it could mean other things have rusted too) but I couldn't find the removal procedure in the book, just maintenence for the belt. It's not in the index, and neither are any of the possible names for the serpentine belt.
Knowing that it's in the timing belt section should hopefully be enough for me to find it. =) I haven't read that part yet, because I was focusing more on the teardown.

I've used dieselgeek a couple of times... He lives like maybe 4 or 5 miles from me.
Just out of curiosity... Can anyone recomend a good place to find a new starter for a 99.5 NB. Also I think I need a new A/C comperssor clutch... I can hear the bearings rattleing around when I spin the one I've got in there. I don't think dieselgeek has those things.

I'm thinking the hard part of this repair I'm attempting will be replacing a bent rod or 2. =( I can hope that they aren't bent, but it's unlikely.

Jon

Last edited:

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
The tensioner (Aux belt) is held on by three 13mm bolts, you might need a small extension to get to them. make sure the belt is removed before you remove it (duh).

For the parts: www.car-part.com <-- junkyards

Just keep asking questions, there are tons of great people in your area...

Helven Ink

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Alpha!
I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions before Betty-Loue is running again.
Probably more questions after that too. =)
Do you know where I could get the parts for the KCTDI-CCV mod?
I asked once already, but I think I posted it wrong it ended up shuffled to the end of the list.