Need help Identifying a 02m 6speed

brnsgrbr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GOLF GTI converted to GTD
I am trying to find out if a an 02m tranny will work with my 2000 TDI Golf.

Here is the code stamped on a transmission I am considering to get.
02m 301 103.

Will this work in my car? More questions to follow depending on the answers.

Thanks in advance guys.

BTW, have been searching the forum for a comprehensive chart and have only found ones if you know the ID. I don't know the ID.

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
What is the 3 letter trans code (located right near the trans part # on the flat name-plate area)?

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
brnsgrbr said:
I think that the guy told FML. It is out of a 2003 20th anniversary edition GTI.
The FML will not work, nor will any other 02M you find in North America. The only 02M 6 speed transmissions that will have suitable gear ratios for a daily drive TDI are found in Europe.

Proper TDI 02M gearbox codes are DRW, EFF, EUJ, ERF, and FMH as far as I know (there are more that I have not listed as well). If you install an FML (which will physically fit and operate properly) your engine RPMs will be massively high in every gear with reduced top speeds in gears. It might make an ok racing box, but a terrible daily driver. In most respects, much worse than your stock 5 speed 02J.

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
danielhf said:
The FML will not work, nor will any other 02M you find in North America. The only 02M 6 speed transmissions that will have suitable gear ratios for a daily drive TDI are found in Europe.
Start thread jack: Are you running the audi box with the transfer case attached, but not hooked up the propshaft? It's okay to do that? Also, was that audi box a 4 cyl box? Thx! I guess I'm just gonna stalk you everywhere and ask you questions about your 4mo stuff ;) !!

brnsgrbr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GOLF GTI converted to GTD
danielhf said:
Proper TDI 02M gearbox codes are DRW, EFF, EUJ, ERF, and FMH as far as I know (there are more that I have not listed as well). If you install an FML (which will physically fit and operate properly) your engine RPMs will be massively high in every gear with reduced top speeds in gears. It might make an ok racing box, but a terrible daily driver. In most respects, much worse than your stock 5 speed 02J.
Thanks Daniel. I am so glad that I asked. Oh, I am hunting trannies to do a auto to manual swap. The FML was offered for only $800 so I was about to pounce on it, when the little angel appeared on my shoulder saying "now now now, don't be so impulsive. You might regret it later..." While the little devil was saying, "Yeah! Get it, buy it. Its exactly what you NEED! Don't listen to that (insert epithet here) Get it get it get.....":eek:

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
brnsgrbr said:
Thanks Daniel. I am so glad that I asked. Oh, I am hunting trannies to do a auto to manual swap. The FML was offered for only $800 so I was about to pounce on it, when the little angel appeared on my shoulder saying "now now now, don't be so impulsive. You might regret it later..." While the little devil was saying, "Yeah! Get it, buy it. Its exactly what you NEED! Don't listen to that (insert epithet here) Get it get it get.....":eek:
For a 5 speed swap, just find a 5 speed TDI in a junk yard because you are going to need quite a few parts that you will only find on a complete car. I would suggest going on car-part.com and calling a few junkyards that list that they have ALH motors and asking about if they still have the complete car. Just go down the list until you find the whole package at the same place.

blizzard60 said:
Start thread jack: Are you running the audi box with the transfer case attached, but not hooked up the propshaft? It's okay to do that? Also, was that audi box a 4 cyl box? Thx! I guess I'm just gonna stalk you everywhere and ask you questions about your 4mo stuff ;) !!
Yup, I'm running the Audi gearbox with the transfer case freely spinning. Of course its ok! That's effectively what a stock Haldex car is doing (well, everything is still physically connected) 95% of the time. Haldex is this nearly useless system that only engages AFTER slip is detected by the ABS speed sensors. When it is not detecting slip, the transfer case spins the prop shaft which in turn is connected to the rear differential and spins the rear diff input, but the rear differential is not internally engaged. It only becomes engaged when fluid pressure increases (due to a signal from the ABS system) and the viscous coupling links up and becomes engaged.

So, for example, if your ABS controller goes out, or an ABS wheel speed sensor is not functioning, Haldex will not work at all. Effectively that is what I have going on (transfer case spinning nothing), except with slightly less of a drive line loss.

This is why I personally have no faith in a stock setup Haldex system. It's just a large dive line loss for the most part, and even when it engages, it's still too late.

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
And yes, it must be a 4 cylinder 02M, not a VR6 02M as a VR6 bellhousing will not fit on a VW 4 cylinder block.

v-dub-u

TDI
02 jetta tdi 2010 jetta tdi, 92 corrado tdi
will a o2m out of an 04 Golf PD130 work well with the swap? im not sure of the gear box codes thanks

D-cappz

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH, 6 speed, 4motion, fully loaded, leather heated interior, sunroof, steering wheel controls. Over 420,000km
will a o2m out of an 04 Golf PD130 work well with the swap? im not sure of the gear box codes thanks
Yes this works. But there are a few different gear ratios for the 02M diesels in Europe.

Last edited: