2006 TDI Oil leak to intake

C00lit

TDI
2006 TDI BRM
I noticed I was leaking oil towards the back of the engine and after investigating I found that the tube connecting to the top left of the engine, is loose.

So I found that a small part of what I think is the throttle body (top rear left) is broken and for this reason, the pipe isn't hooking up perfectly.

When I unplug the pipe going into the engine, I noticed an good amount of oil accumulation.

The oil leaks out because the pipe is lose, and with the air pressure... it gets pushed out I guess.

I will be fixing the air leak myself, however is it normal to have quite a bit of oil in there, which certainly gets ingested in the engine ?.

Since I discovered this I have been monitoring my engine oil level and it looks all good. Has not dropped at all in about 1000km.

Boost gauge appears to run normal. 10-15 when driving normally.
Not smoking unless I floor it, which I almost never do. (The smoking is normal given it's got modified injectors and a custom malone tune)

Ill keep my eye on it, just wondering if it's something I should be concerned about.

Car detail are the following.
2007 Jetta, swapped 2006 TDI BRM
PD140 Turbo (About 6000km on it only)

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
you mean the CCV tube?
that is a tube that takes the oily mist (Crank Case Vent) gasses and returns them to be consumed as fuel rather than dumping it.
If so, 100% normal, that IS its job.

C00lit

TDI
2006 TDI BRM
I am talking about the part circled in red.

It's loose where I circled in yellow, a small piece is broken so I am leaking some air, which makes oil drip down and somehow make it's way too close to the exhaust.

https://ibb.co/Dtq39Vn

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I had to replace the same hose on my BEW because, like yours' the barbs had worn down. I did not see a lot of oil, but underneath the leaky hose had some wet oil residue.

C00lit

TDI
2006 TDI BRM
Common fault on PDs, Google BRM doggie collar. Not that expensive to fix. My PD had worn barbs like JB05 had letting boost leak slightly. Obviously check the intercooler for oil to make sure oil hasn't pooled up in there. Seems lot of tdis have recently bit the dust from runaways

Thanks for the reply, I bought the doggie collar and installed it this week.
Not sure if it's psychological but I feel a performance difference, also less black smoke if I put my foot down.

Next step will be to learn how to check / drain the intercooler and monitor it through summer to see how much comes in.

All I can say is that when I installed the Pumpe Duse Intake Hose/Manifold Connection Fix, I had about half or more tea spoon of oil in the hose.

The PD140 turbo was purchased new and has under 5000km on it so I doubt it would be bad.

All in all, thanks for all the info, it was super helpful.

Typrus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Black Jetta Sedan GLS/TDI 5mt
Drain your intercooler and keep an eye on it.
It won't be a placebo, boost loss = power loss and more smoke.
Glad you got it fixed!