No Air Coming out from Center Dash Vents (2015)

Strider17

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle(sold) MK4 Golf TDI(sold) Mk4 Jetta TDI(parted out) MK4 Golf GTI w/ALH swap (built then parted out) 2015 Passat TDI Highline (current)
2015 Passat TDI SEL

So there is no air coming out of my center dash vents. A little air is coming out of the middle ones.
I also ripped out and tested the 2 servo motors under the steering wheel. They move and dont seem to be the problem. Not sure which servo motor is the bad one or where its located. Any input?

VCDS showed this in the HVAC module:

Motor for Front Air Distribution Flap
B1091 71 (009) - Actuator Stuck
Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear

Thanks

JohnTso

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Desert Jetta & 2015 Passat SEL
JohnTso

As a new owner of a 2015 SEL I won't be of much help. That said, I'm sure many of us will be very interested in the diagnosis and repair of your A/C vent problem.

I tested the A/C system prior to purchase, so I know my center vents work. But I haven't totally read the manual and need to get a better handle on features and capabilities of the Comfort Control system.

Heck, we had a snow storm here yesterday!

DarkLordDad

TDI
2014 Passat SEL
2014 owner here. Had problems with passenger side mostly with heat.

May not help you but worth a try - sometimes I have to work the controls around. Cycle the in car cycle a few times. With the radio off you can hear the flaps open and close, after working it I’ve resolved minor issues.

In my case they may be sticking or something blocking it. Worth a try anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
IIRC only cool air comes out of the center vents, they will never blow heat. But I'm guessing this time of year that's not your concern.

-J

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
blend motor is usually near the blower/filter on the passengers side.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Ah, the wonderful Chinacool HVAC motors in the NMS Passats.

Good news is, the dash isn't TOO bad to R&R.

I forget which one does what, but one of them is buried behind a bracket that you cannot access until the dash is removed, and even then it is sort of tricky to get in there. The recirc one you *can* do with just removing the glove box.

Usually they'll have a DTC stored, but you can also do some tests with VCDS.

Strider17

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle(sold) MK4 Golf TDI(sold) Mk4 Jetta TDI(parted out) MK4 Golf GTI w/ALH swap (built then parted out) 2015 Passat TDI Highline (current)
There is a bracket under the steering wheel. The bracket is kinda a pain to remove but once it’s out it exposes the 2 servos motors. Those are the 2 I inspected but doesn’t look like ya the right ones.
I also looked at the one that’s beside the blower motor. Only had to remove the foam padding covering the cabin filter to see the servo motor. That one doesn’t look like is the right one either.

Maybe there is another one behind the blower motor?

Anyone have a diagram to show all the servo motors in thE NMS ?

Strider17

Veteran Member
TDI
Got a repair manual from vw. The driver side has 3 servos under the steering wheel. 2 that are on top of each other which are blocked by the metal bracket. And the 3rd one is to the right of it. (Pretty much where your knee would be).

That’s the one I gotta get out v426

Last edited:

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
IIRC only cool air comes out of the center vents, they will never blow heat. But I'm guessing this time of year that's not your concern.

-J
I had heat coming out of my center vents this morning in my 2015. Maybe the 2012 Passat TDI you used to have was set up different.