modulite wiring harness help

Carphuntin_god

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2-door 6-speed
I've got the car pulled apart and am making progress on wiring up my trailer wiring.

I know what the wires to the tail lights do... but now i have questions.

the modulite instructions ask whether it's a two-wire or three-wire system.

their description of the two doesn't match my car.

On the golf, it appears the drive lights/brake lights share the same wires.

before i continue wiring/soldering... can anyone tell me exactly how they wired their converter?

I'm going to continue searching and reading to see if i can't figure it out.

Carphuntin_god

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2-door 6-speed
this post about a 2006.5 gti at etrailer appears to sort of match my setup.

"Your 2006 Volkswagen GTI is not wired like many other vehicles and requires specific installation steps outlined below. Test for right turn and brake, left turn and brake, and running lights. The black wire should be attached to the battery, green should be right turn, yellow is left turn, brown is running lights but should be grounded with the white ground wire. The Red stop light wire connects to the stop and taillight wire (on either the left or right taillight). Make sure this wire carries both functions using the circuit tester. It will show 12 volts when the brake is pressed and 12 volts with the lights on. If everything is wired and functioning like it is supposed to be, then move on to testing the wires coming out of the converter. If something is wired differently make sure it is wired like I outlined above."

This worked for me... and gave results listed. time to button things up

Last edited:

jasong70

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I hope I can help, having done this is the recent past, but I'm going from memory, but i know this is correct.

The system we have has the brake and turn. The reverse is in the hatch so it makes it easy to wire up.

I used a curt module, but it should be the same. You need to identify the turn signal wire from one of the 3 wires that goes into the taillight. I do recall they the wire color was different on each side, unlike the brake and ground which were the same on both sides. The left turn wire should be black with a white stripe, and the right black with a green stripe. The tail and brake light wire on are black with a red stripe. Hook up your ground to the big nut ground block on the pass side and tap into the 12v outlet for power. I partly stripped the wire and twist/solder and wrapped it with tape.

hope this helps.