A3 TDI to A3 or S3 gasser.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
So with the Audi Diesel issues, I am looking at moving to Audi to replace with an A3 with a gas version (Prestige). Has anyone else thought about this?

As well looking at the Golf R since it seems to be the same vehicle for a lesser price tag, while still made in Germany.

As well I am in Europe the next two weeks and taking the Audi Plant tour at Neckarsulm to see how the high-end, R and S versions are made.

tophergrace

Veteran Member
TDI
Alh
First off i'm so jealous that you get to take the tour, have fun man enjoy it. It's funny the golf r is cheaper newer but holds it's value more down the road. Just look at r32 vs a3's. Personally I like the a3 best with brown sport interior. It is not an option for the s3 and other than gearing i'm not sure what the mechanical differences are.

Looks like you are in the desert though and if you don't need awd i'd keep my tdi

Tailwagger

TDI
2015 A3
Thought about an S3, didnt care much for the 2.0. Considered the S3/R last time around but went the AMG instead (trading in a Mk VI R for it). Not sure I personally could muster the psych necessary to live in the same A3 body with a lot more performance, but a lot less economy.

I've basically decided that if I go with a VW/Audi product, and given the CARB rejection of the 3.0 solution today I'm beginning to question the wisdom of such a move, I'm pretty certain I'll order the base TT over the TT-S. A bit over priced, but decent power (0-60 mid 5s), decent handling (.99g), decent fuel economy (29 avg per fuelly). Form factor doesn't work for everyone, but overall the TT makes a set of trade offs that seem like the sweet spot for what I'm interested in. The other candidate is the Jag XE R-sport diesel. Biggest downside there is exclusivity. One wonders, given how few diesels they've imported so far, if there will be any parts in the states to service it. Non-zero chance it could be one of a handful, if not the only R-Sport diesel in the country. Cool, but not particularly practical.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Thought about an S3, didnt care much for the 2.0. Considered the S3/R last time around but went the AMG instead (trading in a Mk VI R for it). Not sure I personally could muster the psych necessary to live in the same A3 body with a lot more performance, but a lot less economy.

I've basically decided that if I go with a VW/Audi product, and given the CARB rejection of the 3.0 solution today I'm beginning to question the wisdom of such a move, I'm pretty certain I'll order the base TT over the TT-S. A bit over priced, but decent power (0-60 mid 5s), decent handling (.99g), decent fuel economy (29 avg per fuelly). Form factor doesn't work for everyone, but overall the TT makes a set of trade offs that seem like the sweet spot for what I'm interested in. The other candidate is the Jag XE R-sport diesel. Biggest downside there is exclusivity. One wonders, given how few diesels they've imported so far, if there will be any parts in the states to service it. Non-zero chance it could be one of a handful, if not the only R-Sport diesel in the country. Cool, but not particularly practical.
Thanks guy. Yes, people seem to keep saying the TT.... :)

5FDP

TDI
A3
I tell everyone when thinking about a new car to "Drive EVERYTHING". You never know what you will like.

I once was looking for a 911 GT3 and ended with a Viper ACR. While looking for a C6Z ended up with a E92 M3. While looking for an new Accord or Camry for the wife...ended up with a used Lexus LS460L. Looking for a Crossfire for kid-o ended up Mini Cooper S.

I was looking at a BMW 535D to replace my A3 but think I may back to gas with a Alpina B7. You never know what you will like until you drive it.

As an added note: The Viper tuned out to be my favorite car of all time. I love them because it's like getting on a roller coast ride with the warning label: "Ride may come off tracks at anytime and cause severe injury or death."

Last edited: