Door lock not working properly

oquatanzinwan

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
First of all, I have a 2000 Jetta. When using the key fob to lock my doors, all doors except for the drivers side lock. The alarm will activate but I have to either manually lock the door or unlock/lock the doors multiple times with the key fob until it works.
Another symptom that I have is when I start driving with the doors unlocked, they never lock. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they are supposed to lock once you hit about 10 MPH. The lock/unlock button on the inside of the door DOES work.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ryan

MattRabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, 2014 Beetle TDI, 1981 Rabbit Diesel
Sounds like your Door Lock Module on the drivers door is faulty. It happens on all of them. Your door thinks it's still open, that's why it won't lock when you use the key fob.

05_passat_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Vw Passat
I would guess you have a problem with the door lock mechanism in the door. I had the same problem with my passat, I had to disassemble the innards of the door to take out the part. I disassembled the mechanism and could find nothing wrong so I put the door back together. However, since then my door lock has worked perfectly. Perhaps I had a bad connection at the connector I don't know. What I do know is that the ecu couldn't read the state of the lock correctly as the ecu would say it is locked when the door was unlocked according to vcds. I would recommend finding a tutorial on the web to remove the lock and check it out.

jrip

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Blue, TOTALED, Jetta, 2002, Green
I might make the sugestion to PM jetta ,97 He is real knowledgable on the doors, locks, and keyfobs.

Jettascuba

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta
Check the microswitches inside the door lock - VW Vortex has a nice pictorial on how to remove, disassemble lock.

oquatanzinwan

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Thanks for the replies. I'll have to look into it further. In case of the worst case scenario, and I have to buy a new module, anyone know of any sites to get one cheap?

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
My '05 Passat has a front passenger door that doesn't always lock with the remote nor with the key in the lock (why just one lock?). Usually it does, but now and again it doesn't.
I'm still discovering the conditions that do or don't lock that door, but right now it appears that if I unlock twice (even though I have the module set to unlock all four doors on the first action) it seems to re-synchronize that door with the other three doors. From then on (until some as yet unknown action causes an error) one remote press or one key turn operates all four locks.

simbolo

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta
Thanks for the replies. I'll have to look into it further. In case of the worst case scenario, and I have to buy a new module, anyone know of any sites to get one cheap?
I believe this is the part # 3B1837015AS

The cheapest I have found it was $132 over a 1stvwparts.com few months ago

I had the same symptoms with mine, I would have tried fixing it but didn't have the time. Still have my old one if you or anyone is interested in messing with it, $20+ shipping ;)

here is pretty nice howto for repairing it
http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/doorlockmechanism/

Last edited: