Doors will not lock or unlock with key or remote

drewkeen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
They all lock and unlock fine when you press the buttons inside the car. The remote does not work at all (any of the buttons) and has a good battery. I tried to replace the battery and it still did not work. Also, the little red light in the driver door by the lock does not light up and the interior lights do not come on when it is open. The key will also not lock or unlock the doors when turned in the key hole.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Drew, did you check any of the fuses? Look at #'s 14 and 38.
Is this problem with a TDI, and if so, what model and year?

drewkeen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I do not have another key. Would reprogramming help at all because even when I manually insert it into the door it still will not work.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Does the interior light come on with the passenger door opened?
If yes this is normal.

Does the light on the door near the bottom come on the drivers side when it's opened?
If no ,then search for the $3.00 door switch fix.

My $.02:D .

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
It sounds like the comfort control module. Just a guess, has any water gotten in the car under the driver's feet? There's a box under there (at least in my passat gas engine, I assume in the TDIs as well) with a computer module that controls the locks, alarm, interior lights, maybe some other stuff too. They're not cheap, sorry!

If you have two keys you can try reprogramming the remote. You put the regular key in the ignition, turn it on but not running, then get out and lock/unlock the doors with the remote. It might work; if you get a new CCM, you'll need to do that anyway, and it might be that you need to get the dealer to re program the new CCM to your key. On my 2000 it was not necessary, but I don't know about yours.

drewkeen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
csstevej said:
Does the interior light come on with the passenger door opened?
If yes this is normal.

Does the light on the door near the bottom come on the drivers side when it's opened?
If no ,then search for the $3.00 door switch fix.

My $.02:D .
It does come on. Not sure on the light on the bottom of the driver door. I will have to put a volt meter on it. I bought the car and the previous owner was trying to fix a door lock problem and ripped off the door card without removing any screws at all and also messed up the light.

I have a CCM from another car. I put it in and nothing changed. They are under the dash in the Jetta.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
If you don't get voltage I still say you have a bad door switch, especially if the interior light is not comming on with the drivers door opened.

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
drewkeen said:
I have a CCM from another car. I put it in and nothing changed. They are under the dash in the Jetta.
That's good news for you and for me, now that I'm driving a jetta. I thought the location of the CCM in my passat was not too smart.