VW Rejecting Non-Clean Titles?

Takuhari

TDI
Manual 2010 Golf TDi Manual 2015 Golf TDi
IIRC the program has ended for the most part so no need to keep it live any more.
This site was put up to start another suit for those of us who had an unfair denial of claim. Some were from bad titles, Mine was for not having the origional purchase papers or a copy of the title that was submitted to the dmv. Current issued title was not valid in their eyes since it held no hostory.

GolfTDISA

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Passat tdi
Council told me it will be in January next year when they will get to it .

Last edited:

MGraham

TDI
2000 Jetta, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Golf SE TDI, 2016 Golf GTI.
Restitution received

We received full restitution in the mail today for one of the two salvage title cars we purchased Oct 2016 and returned to VW last year. Pleasant surprise!

sun_dance99

TDI
Q7
Hi folks, rather than start a new thread on this I was wondering what are the major "gotchas" related to getting payment from VW related to salvage title vehicle?

Reason I ask, is that I know of someone's estate selling a 2013 Q7 3.0TDI which hasn't had the recall done, but it is a salvage title. They are selling it for a reasonable price, but would be great if the VW payment can be applied to it.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You are too late. That is over already. It is now just a car again instead of a profit maker. You can get the fix done for free but you won't be getting any money from VW for it.

sun_dance99

TDI
Q7
You are too late. That is over already. It is now just a car again instead of a profit maker. You can get the fix done for free but you won't be getting any money from VW for it.
Are you sure about that, since according to the settlement site it states:

The 3.0L Settlement Program for Generation 2 vehicles ends on April 30, 2020.

and that "December 31, 2019 – Claims Deadline: Deadline to complete a claim, including submitting required documents."

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/3-0-models/

So does anyone know for sure? BTW, the vehicle was rebuilt and was written off at some point.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Operate on the assumption that you are not going to get anything. That the vehicle was previously written off and rebuilt puts some additional dates into the equation (basically involving the dates at which dieselgate became public knowledge, and when the courts clarified what was to be done with these vehicles). I don't know what those dates are, but they are long past.

There is a remote possibility that if the effective dates of write-off and rebuild pre-date something that I don't recall, it MIGHT be eligible ... but it will be an uphill battle. Figure on nothing. If the car is still worth buying, file the claim paperwork. If nothing happens, that's what you expected. If something happens, bonus.

dlll

Warranty

I have an opportunity to purchase 2015 with 14k miles. I put in the vin code on the VW site and said it was ineligible. So pulled carfax and that Michigan DMV issued a salvage title on 2/08/2018 on 06/04/2018 a rebuilt title was issued. On 7/16/2018 13,778 miles emission software update was done. On 5/20/2019 car was sold at Auction Pacific Region. I can not find on the VW site if the car is still under the factory extended emission warranty, is this car done and out of the program. So does this mean any further updates emission repairs will not be honored.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
If you want hassle free warranty coverage, don't buy something that has a salvage title. Expect considerable push-back from VW in the event of you trying to make a warranty claim. The salvage title implies the potential that something big and bad happened to that car which was beyond VW's control, which means rightly or wrongly, they no longer want any responsibility for it.

Do you want cheap, or do you want peace of mind. Can't have both.

dlll

Warranty

From my understanding is that when VW did the buy back on this one they branded the title. It was not from any accident. I just bought a 2015 Golf CPO for my kid 35k on it from a Vw dealer. I also found this unit for my other kid, car is like new and being a mechanic for 35 years nothing scares me except the HPFP blowing up hahaha.

sun_dance99

TDI
Q7
Operate on the assumption that you are not going to get anything. That the vehicle was previously written off and rebuilt puts some additional dates into the equation (basically involving the dates at which dieselgate became public knowledge, and when the courts clarified what was to be done with these vehicles). I don't know what those dates are, but they are long past.

There is a remote possibility that if the effective dates of write-off and rebuild pre-date something that I don't recall, it MIGHT be eligible ... but it will be an uphill battle. Figure on nothing. If the car is still worth buying, file the claim paperwork. If nothing happens, that's what you expected. If something happens, bonus.
@GoFaster - at the current sale price it's an OK deal, nothing I'd go crazy about. Do you have a link to any docs specific around rebuilt titles and the specific dates related to those? I know that the vehicle was rebuilt in 2016

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
I gave up on waiting and had the fix done on my 15 Passat with salvage title. DEF pump took a **** at only 16k miles so the car was basically non running at this point. I decided that waiting for possible lawsuit in next 1-2 year was not worth it. I'll just drive the wheels off it. It will be a constant reminder of this wild adventure.

puggi

TDI
2015 Passat SEL (2), 2014 Passat SE 6MT, 2014 JSW 6MT, 2012 Passat SE, 2012 Q7, 2010 Jetta, 2009 Touareg
Did you receive any warranty with the fix? I'm assuming salvage cars don't benefit from the 4year or 48k mile warranty extension.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Did you receive any warranty with the fix? I'm assuming salvage cars don't benefit from the 4year or 48k mile warranty extension.
As far as I know, warranty is same for salvage and non salvage. My DEF pump was bad and they replaced it for free while doing the recall.

dmikucki

TDI
MK6 JSW TDI
purchased a 2012 JSW 50k rebuilt title. prev owner had the fix done. warranty is still fully active. title status does not matter. Car is at VW now getting cracked DFP replaced.

martnikolov

TDI
2015 Gold TDI SE
Back in 2018 I returned 2 vehicles to VW (buyback) - mine and my wife's and both cars had salvage rebuild titles.
They tell us the supervisor would look into this and if there is a pervious owner we would split the money.
I am still waiting on the restitution payments for both cars. What is going on, it is 2021?

Is anyone of you guys has the restitution money from salvage car?

Thank you.