VW Rejecting Non-Clean Titles?

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW - DG Buyback
The vehicles offered for sale in these cases are *NOT* being sold as “scrap” or “parts-only” lots.

Isn't the intent of this settlement, for an eligible owner to receive a restitution payment for their damaged or “totaled” vehicle, because the vehicle is considered non-repairable (permanently decommissioned for on-road use)?

With the exception of a small pool of former eligible owners, restitution payments are not issued unless the vehicle has been bought back or an approved emissions modification has been applied.

Shouldn’t the insurance and/or auction companies hold some sort of responsibility in permanently decommissioning these particular vehicles by “destructing” or returning them to VW, rather than reselling as a salvage title (repairable) vehicle?

Last edited:

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
In hindsight, the settlement should have included a provision for this -- where VW would pay the insurer or salvage yard to destroy the car.

But I imagine they'd have to offer a pretty penny to make this an attractive offer, versus the alternative of the scrap yard turning around and selling the vehicle to a motivated, cash-paying customer.

Although the flip side to this is the totaled TDI that was flattened by a load of bricks, or burned -- you know, "totally" totaled. They wouldn't want to be stuck paying for something that'll obviously never be rebuilt.

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Several different models. Selling them back to VW
Isn't the intent of this settlement, for an eligible owner to receive a restitution payment for their damaged or “totaled” vehicle, because the vehicle is considered non-repairable (permanently decommissioned for on-road use)?

Shouldn’t the insurance and/or auction companies hold some sort of responsibility in permanently decommissioning these particular vehicles by “destructing” or returning them to VW, rather than reselling as a salvage title (repairable) vehicle?
No, the intent is not only for an eligible owner to receive a restitution payment, otherwise it would not have included total loss vehicles, or dealerships, or vehicles purchased after the emissions scandal was made public.

The clear intent was to make VW pay for each and every car that was registered and on the road at the time when the scandal became public, 9/18/2015.

Why should insurance companies be liable for VW's mistake. Some salvage title cars have absolutely no visible damage, or just need minor repairs, so the insurance companies just sell them to the highest bidder.

If VW does not want to buy back driveable salvage titled vehicles all they would have to do is purchase them from the insurance companies themselves.
Nobody is stopping VW from buying up post 9/18/2015 salvaged cars directly from insurance auctions themselves.
In hindsight, the settlement should have included a provision for this -- where VW would pay the insurer or salvage yard to destroy the car.

But I imagine they'd have to offer a pretty penny to make this an attractive offer, versus the alternative of the scrap yard turning around and selling the vehicle to a motivated, cash-paying customer.

Although the flip side to this is the totaled TDI that was flattened by a load of bricks, or burned -- you know, "totally" totaled. They wouldn't want to be stuck paying for something that'll obviously never be rebuilt.
I agree, but there's nothing stopping VW from buying them right now, or making an offer to any or all insurance companies as we speak.

BTW: Most "totally totaled" cars do already have non repairable titles, but you're right, that there are some that are not practically repairable that do still have a rebuildable salvage title.

Last edited:

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
As the owner of a salvage titled vehicle that still runs and is moveable under it's own power--and yes, the insurance company paid off a partial settlement--at the moment I'd be OK for VW to offer me the difference between the insurance settlement and the full buyback amount just to get it done. Oh, the accident was November 25, 2016, and I purchased the vehicle new in June of 2013. I'm in the limbo world where they won't accept the 'front page' of the salvage title, but won't tell me what else to do.

miltak

TDI
passat,jetta
Technically salvage title cannot be driven on public roads,so they consider it not operable,so all you have to do is fix it,have it inspected and get regular rebuilt or prior salvage title (depends on your state),then the vehicle is operable again and you are eligible for full buyback.

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Technically salvage title cannot be driven on public roads,so they consider it not operable,so all you have to do is fix it,have it inspected and get regular rebuilt or prior salvage title (depends on your state),then the vehicle is operable again and you are eligible for full buyback.
You are incorrect.

The settlement says nothing about the vehicle having to be operable on public roads, and I've returned several cars with salvage titles under the settlement.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
Incorrect.

Title rules differ by state, but California (for instance), the Salvage branding remains with the vehicle after it's been repaired and inspected. Registration is the proof of operability.

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
Incorrect.

Title rules differ by state, but California (for instance), the Salvage branding remains with the vehicle after it's been repaired and inspected. Registration is the proof of operability.
In PA, it appears that a rebuilt vehicle gets a 'rebuilt' title, and registration is possible IF the rebuild makes it possible to pass the state safety inspection. This vehicle sustained some rear-end damage, (hit hard enough right on the right rear wheel that it bent the axle and sprung the body) and set off the side air bags. Rebuilding to meet the safety standards may not be possible under any definition of economical...and I'm cynical enough to believe that they would also reject the Rebuilt certificate--after spending >10K for the rebuild.

Heck, I'd just like VW to say something other than "the front page is the wrong document". Their silence is deafening.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
As the owner of a salvage titled vehicle that still runs and is moveable under it's own power--and yes, the insurance company paid off a partial settlement--at the moment I'd be OK for VW to offer me the difference between the insurance settlement and the full buyback amount just to get it done. Oh, the accident was November 25, 2016, and I purchased the vehicle new in June of 2013. I'm in the limbo world where they won't accept the 'front page' of the salvage title, but won't tell me what else to do.
Have you spoken to the lawyers yet?

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
Have you spoken to the lawyers yet?
Oh yes, Max at Lief Cabreser and I are on first-name basis. In fact, he called today to tell me that as of 5/18 my claim is approved. Now I'm waiting for the official word from VW--then the offer letter, notarizing it, getting an appointment, etc. I'll believe that the next step will happen when it actually happens.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'm happy to see that things are (may be) moving for those in this situation.

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
Been sitting in "documents under review" status for 8 days now. Which I take as a good sign: they didn't reject the salvage title in 12 hours like last time.

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
Been sitting in "documents under review" status for 8 days now. Which I take as a good sign: they didn't reject the salvage title in 12 hours like last time.
Email from Claims at 5:44 pm EDT today rejected "need different documents for front and back page of title"

They have now rejected the salvage certificate a total of 4 times. It sure would be nice to hear WHY. And I'm not going to bother calling the call center again. They don't know.

miltak

TDI
passat,jetta
Can you have it inspected and turn in rebuilt title instead?
Our documents have been accepted on several of them since Feb and just waiting.We need to get together and one of the lawyers should contact judge on behalf of all of us,they have been waiting for months.

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
Can you have it inspected and turn in rebuilt title instead?
Our documents have been accepted on several of them since Feb and just waiting.We need to get together and one of the lawyers should contact judge on behalf of all of us,they have been waiting for months.
It would have to be repaired sufficiently to pass the PA safety inspection to get a rebuild title. With a sprung chassis, bent axle, and deployed airbags, I don't want to know what that would cost. And I have no faith they would accept the rebuild title.

I've had repeated contact with the law office.

miltak

TDI
passat,jetta
I always fix them all, like i did before the emission scandal.We always replace all airbags and such,but even with rebuilt title,they still sit for months with no answer from VW.
Like I said the paperwork gets accepted,but since april with exception of one jetta about 10 days ago,no other offers.
I suspect,since people didn't fix them at all and took them in -they will now throw a fit and not accept salvage titles in place of a title,because most states don't allow vehicles with salvage title to be legally driven on roads,so they may claim not operable vehicle-that's just my guess.
But even with rebuilt or prior salvage title,there is almost no progress and I am sure there are hundreds of people like us and we should make list and one of the lawyers should push this.
Only good thing about it-once they will accept them,they will have to pay little more money,since they are not driven and miles adjustment will change offer value.

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
I spoke with Ajay, who is a Case Clerk with at Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein and forwarded the letter from VW that is in post #1.

He initially said that VW is trying to crack down on people who they think are buying junkyard cars to fix and sell back.
He agreed with me that ultimately, if the car was registered with a clean title on 9/18/2015 it is still eligible regardless of title status.

The attorney he works with @ Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein was on vacation at the time, so he sent me this response after the attorney "Phong" returned,

[FONT=&quot]"Hi Titus,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Just spoke with my attorney, Phong. He explained to me that VW is coming up with a solution for these vehicles with salvaged titles (our hypothesis about them cracking-down was correct), but given that your titles were issued after the date of the scandal, you should eventually be eligible for the buyback. My attorney told me to advise you to write to the Claims Review Committee explaining your situation. I’ve included their information below, and make sure to clearly indicate that your vehicles are eligible per the settlement – with all the necessary detail – and the sooner you complete the letter, the sooner it will be reviewed."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Funny thing is that he originally told me that I would have to wait for VW to actually deny a claim before I could appeal to the Claims Review Committee.

I'm thinking that VW is going to delay these claims until they absolutely have to settle them at the end of the claims period, which would be the end of 2018.

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
Duratitis...could you post the information about how to get in touch with the claims review committee?

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT / 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI 6MT
Duratitis...could you post the information about how to get in touch with the claims review committee?
sometimes getting in touch with them is a waste of time. I sent an appeal via email and a registered letter with no response whatsoever, been 3 months since.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'm thinking that VW is going to delay these claims until they absolutely have to settle them at the end of the claims period, which would be the end of 2018.
My assumption from reading these posts, and with no horse in this leg of the race, is that VW may be holding off on paying these claims until the clean title claims start to dry up. They can gage how close they are to the 85% and see how fast they have to move on your salvaged turn ins. Of course, if they wait too long, such as another 12-15 months, they will start to be flooded with the claims of those that are hanging on until the last minute, like me.

lvrpl

TDI
Passat TDI
My assumption from reading these posts, and with no horse in this leg of the race, is that VW may be holding off on paying these claims until the clean title claims start to dry up. They can gage how close they are to the 85% and see how fast they have to move on your salvaged turn ins. Of course, if they wait too long, such as another 12-15 months, they will start to be flooded with the claims of those that are hanging on until the last minute, like me.
But why would this matter? It's not like once they hit 85% they don't have to approve any more claims.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf

So it seems. I guess they also have on their team clever guys who can work around the lines of the settlement to minimize their outflow while you guys try to maximize your inflow. Slow walking claims on zombie cars... interesting development.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Question: do you think Lief Cabraser are too overwhelmed to step in to expedite these claims or is there some sort of secret agreement now in place on the down low? They should be helping more, eh?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
But why would this matter? It's not like once they hit 85% they don't have to approve any more claims.
But if they hit 85% just on non-salvaged titles, they can be more of a pain to you guys. They can request hoop jumping until either they run out of time or you run out of patience.

ujames

TDI
YES
Question: do you think Lief Cabraser are too overwhelmed to step in to expedite these claims or is there some sort of secret agreement now in place on the down low? They should be helping more, eh?
Great question. Lief Cabraser has not been helpful at all on my claims

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
Here's what he sent,
Would there be value in doing this--or is more likely going to wind up being a shot in the foot? My inclination is to send a letter outlining the entire history of the vehicle, and attach copies of the salvage title and the original bill of sale. Maybe even the police report from the accident.