VW Rejecting Non-Clean Titles?

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Several different models. Selling them back to VW
I only had one claim denied, out of 23 that are on hold due to branded titles.

My opinion is that your documents will continue to be rejected until VW and the CRC come to an agreement on how they will address branded titles going forward.

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
I only had one claim denied, out of 23 that are on hold due to branded titles.

My opinion is that your documents will continue to be rejected until VW and the CRC come to an agreement on how they will address branded titles going forward.
And they will sit on this until after the closing date next September and then say "too bad, so sad, get lost"

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
I disagree.

There would be too many lawsuits from people with branded titles.

The wording in the settlement is quite clear....... Too clear for them to get away with denying all branded titles across to board.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
^ seems logical. VWAG pays in the end but much less than they would if the capital tied up in the salvaged cars was continuing to recycle through their portals.

1842 TDI

TDI
2014 Jetta
^ seems logical. VWAG pays in the end but much less than they would if the capital tied up in the salvaged cars was continuing to recycle through their portals.
That is what I was thinking. As long as they are delaying the buyback of salvage titles my capital is tied up and I can't go buy more.

Since the buyback status is in limbo the demand at the auctions has dropped to nothing indicating no one else is buying them either. I wish I could buy more because I am confident that they will end up buying them back and the prices at auction are significantly lower than I was paying.

By delaying the buyback more of these cars will end up in salvage yards instead of being turned in for buyback, saving VW money.

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
That is what I was thinking. As long as they are delaying the buyback of salvage titles my capital is tied up and I can't go buy more.

Since the buyback status is in limbo the demand at the auctions has dropped to nothing indicating no one else is buying them either. I wish I could buy more because I am confident that they will end up buying them back and the prices at auction are significantly lower than I was paying.

By delaying the buyback more of these cars will end up in salvage yards instead of being turned in for buyback, saving VW money.
Unfortunately, if that is the case, VW can plausibly hold this up until next fall. I spoke to a lawyer last week who called me a few hours after I wrote in to the Lieff Cabraser web site contact window and his personal opinion, basis unknown, was that it will take 2 months. I think the whole settlement took less time to figure out than the time VW is trying to "figure out" what to do with salvage titles with a prior owner restitution claim.

I'm still perplexed that this is an issue and that Lieff Cabraser is tacitly supporting it. People on this board are simply reading the settlement and acting upon it accordingly. Are the defense or plaintiff lawyers that stupid that they didn't see this coming? Words have meaning and they're not even that complicated to understand in this case. My dubious belief is that LC is profiting on upholding VWs stalling.

1842 TDI

TDI
2014 Jetta
I'm still perplexed that this is an issue and that Lieff Cabraser is tacitly supporting it. People on this board are simply reading the settlement and acting upon it accordingly. Are the defense or plaintiff lawyers that stupid that they didn't see this coming? Words have meaning and they're not even that complicated to understand in this case. My dubious belief is that LC is profiting on upholding VWs stalling.
I see a couple of options. One the attorneys have been paid and their compensation is fixed, as in no more money for the extra work so they do the absolute minimum and it will take forever, or two they are racking up the billable hours to collect more money themselves.

Third option is I am just too cynical and there really is a lot of work going into a resolution and they are just not communicating the intricacies to the rest of us.

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
I see a couple of options. One the attorneys have been paid and their compensation is fixed, as in no more money for the extra work so they do the absolute minimum and it will take forever, or two they are racking up the billable hours to collect more money themselves.

Third option is I am just too cynical and there really is a lot of work going into a resolution and they are just not communicating the intricacies to the rest of us.
Never forget that we are talking about Lawyer Time, which has absolutely nothing to do with real time. "soon" in lawyer speak can mean anything from tomorrow to next year or never. :D

single94

TDI
2012 passat tdi
buyback observations

I can only speak for what i see, at my current dealer they used to do appointments 3 days a week now its 1 day a week by appointment. Things are definitely slower, chat does not help much at all, you have to submit bill of sale on all cars with a history however its not asked of you to do so from the get go, in my opinion best to do it right from the beginning so the process is not drawn out as they have been doing as of late.

From what i have seen ability to upload documents after the fact, vs sending snail mail, or faxing is at vw discretion, as well as the time allowed to review claims with any accident history. Supposed to be 20 business days, then with accident history was advised another 10 business days. It seems any way to slow the process down they will, maybe they want to spread out their loses annually? No idea just throwing out ideas

Anyone else know of anything to add that may help others in the same situation?

Has anyone got a response on any cars with the crc?

Im thinking a separate thread of actual cars that have been denied a claim by vw and by the crc would be a good thread. Looks like all who have rebuilds will be waiting until they come up with a resolution. I have asked multiple times and ways they will not give any indication 100% via chat, mostly conflicting information.

1842 TDI

TDI
2014 Jetta
Sending requests to CRC

Just some information for anyone sending a request to the CRC. It seems that the request needs to be in the body of the email.

I first sent in a request the end of July as a word document attached to the email. After a month of no response, last week I resent the same request but in the body of the email instead of as an attachment. I just received the standard response that they have received my request and will review it.

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
Just some information for anyone sending a request to the CRC. It seems that the request needs to be in the body of the email.
I first sent in a request the end of July as a word document attached to the email. After a month of no response, last week I resent the same request but in the body of the email instead of as an attachment. I just received the standard response that they have received my request and will review it.
Just to clarify, and I searched this thread somewhat for an answer prior but couldn't find it, is emailing the CRC only a benefit to those who's claims have been rejected? Is there any advantage of emailing if claim is in process, not explicitly rejected, but still at step 15, documents review, and following request for "proof of non-salavage" (bill of sale)?

emeraldzippy

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta MK5-DSG-119K-Malone 1.5 Past: 1997 Passat, 2012 Jetta wagon, 1987 Ford Ranger diesel, 1982 Chevette diesel
Just to clarify, and I searched this thread somewhat for an answer prior but couldn't find it, is emailing the CRC only a benefit to those who's claims have been rejected? Is there any advantage of emailing if claim is in process, not explicitly rejected, but still at step 15, documents review, and following request for "proof of non-salavage" (bill of sale)?
I sent an email even though mine wasn't rejected, only requesting "proof" as above, and I got the response and subsequent approval/claim/payment.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
My NJ Salvage title got rejected again today for wrong front of title.

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
It makes no difference guys, whether it's a certificate or title.
If it's branded it's going to get rejected until VW, the class counsel, and the CRC get their game plan for branded titles figured out.

I have 20 or so salvage Ohio titles in the portal that were accepted, but they rejected a couple saying it was the incorrect document.
- There was no difference between the 2 that were rejected, and the 20 that were accepted, it's just hit or miss since VW doesn't know what to do with these claims right now.

Don't sweat it, just keep uploading the salvage title, and eventually it might go through.

Last edited:

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
As per emeraldzippy's seemingly successful method I've emailed crc@vwcourtsettlement.com to please review my 2 claims, currently at step 15. I'm not holding my breathe. I haven't been rejected, and I have been requested to upload bill of sale 3 weeks ago, which I did.

playum

TDI
Passat TDI, Jetta TDI, Golf TDI
The wording in the settlement is quite clear....... Too clear for them to get away with denying all branded titles across to board.
Agreed. However, they know people are flipping branded title VWs, and they know those people have limited funds (i.e. they have a max number they can buy before they are forced to wait on VW buybacks to get enough $$ for more cars...)

So if they can slow down the buyback process for "flippers" to a crawl they can claim they aren't really violating their settlement.

I think VW is only too happy to drag out negotiations on how to handle branded-title cars as long as they possibly can.

playum

TDI
How VW will handle buyback of salvage vehicles.

It makes no difference guys, whether it's a certificate or title.
If it's branded it's going to get rejected until VW, the class counsel, and the CRC get their game plan for branded titles figured out..
I spoke with Phong Nguyen's (lead attorney) assistant "Max" about this last week. They already know how they are going to handle them.

1. The current owner of Salvage cars will get the buyback amount plus 1/2 restitution amount (vs the full restitution amount) upon buyback (everything except what is due to the Eligible Seller).

If an eligible seller submits a claim before 1 Sep 2018 they'll get the other half of the restitution. If not, the other 1/2 will be sent to the eligible owner who participated in the buyback.

But....(now this is my opinion - not from the attorney's office). VW knows if they can drag out the details of how to handle salvage cars as long as possible, they'll slow down/deter VW flippers, which will result in fewer salvage cars being returned in the long run. So, they will drag this on, as long as they can possibly get away with.

playum

TDI
As per emeraldzippy's seemingly successful method I've emailed crc@vwcourtsettlement.com to please review my 2 claims, currently at step 15. I'm not holding my breathe. I haven't been rejected, and I have been requested to upload bill of sale 3 weeks ago, which I did.
Really curious how this ends up, please do keep us posted. I have 4 cars in purgatory right now. (and 1 is a clean title for heaven's sake)

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
I spoke with Phong Nguyen's (lead attorney) assistant "Max" about this last week. They already know how they are going to handle them.
1. The current owner of Salvage cars will get the buyback amount plus 1/2 restitution amount (vs the full restitution amount) upon buyback (everything except what is due to the Eligible Seller).
If an eligible seller submits a claim before 1 Sep 2018 they'll get the other half of the restitution. If not, the other 1/2 will be sent to the eligible owner who participated in the buyback.
But....(now this is my opinion - not from the attorney's office). VW knows if they can drag out the details of how to handle salvage cars as long as possible, they'll slow down/deter VW flippers, which will result in fewer salvage cars being returned in the long run. So, they will drag this on, as long as they can possibly get away with.
I'm very curious how they rationalize the 1/2 and 1/2 solution when people made decisions based on what the settlement currently reads. If you advertise a fixed buyback price, which is the essence of the CAS, people will find opportunity and flippers will emerge. I'm very curious how they think that wouldn't have happened.

playum

TDI
I'm very curious how they rationalize the 1/2 and 1/2 solution when people made decisions based on what the settlement currently reads. If you advertise a fixed buyback price, which is the essence of the CAS, people will find opportunity and flippers will emerge. I'm very curious how they think that wouldn't have happened.
This was always the solution for people who bought after Sep 18th 2015. If you purchased after this date you're only entitled to the buyback + 1/2 restitution UNLESS nobody claimed as an eligible seller (by Sep 1st 2016), in which case you get their 1/2 also. When you registered a car on the portal it would accurately reflect how much you'd receive based on whether someone had claimed as an eligible seller on that vehicle already.

The issue now with salvage cars is people who wrecked their car are saying "If I'd known I was going to wreck my car, I would've registered as an eligible seller by the deadline". So they are extending the deadline for those individuals, which is why they can't pay out the full amount until the know with certainty whether an eligible seller will claim on a car.

Personally, I don't think they should extend the deadline. My reasoning, you can show your car is worth X amount in the buyback + restitution....so that is the value your insurance company should reimburse you if you total your car...in which case you're out nothing. (Not that my opinion on this matters...I'm not an attorney working on the case)

The bottom line is VW knows they update and resell clean cars. But they're just going to crush/dismantle salvage cars. So if they can do anything (even if it's just legal wrangling disguised as "negotiating how to handle salvage cars" - to delay taking them back), they'll do it and drag it on as long as the Attorneys and court will let them get away with.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
I am still curious.. If I bought my car back in 2014 from a dealer..was totally done (rebuilt title).. like new with 22,000 miles..registered and titled to me back then also in 2014... that I would be put in the same boat as all the others e.g. salvage..flippers..with multiple buybacks ..bought way later etc...? I have been approved for the fix.. but am having 2nd. thoughts and don't want to "reset"..and have wait a year for a buyback..wish there was a way to get info to settle my concerns..Thanx.. opinions also! but facts are better

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
@ forrest resto's,
The chances that a reset to your salvage claim, would result in it getting delayed with all the other branded title claims are 50/50 IMO.

I heard of one person who had a pre 9/18/15 rebuilt car that was approved recently. there are others who have tried to switch to the buyback, only to have their claim shelved for months by VW.

@ playum,
I hope what Max @ Leif Cabraser told you is correct.
- If so, they are not extending any registration deadlines.

The seller registration deadline you are referring to only applies to sellers, but not to those who totaled their car and transferred the title to a insurance company.
Under the current settlement, the 9/16/16 registration deadline only applies to eligible sellers (who sold their car between 9/18/2015 and 6/28/16).

- People who totaled their car after 9/16/16 are eligible for "Owner restitution", and can register anytime during the claim period (until 9/1/2018).

"3. The Owner Restitution Payment is the same whether you choose a Buyback or an Approved Emissions Modification. An Eligible Owner whose Eligible Vehicle is totaled after the opt-out deadline will receive the Owner Restitution Payment, but no Vehicle Value.
"

"11. Can I receive benefits if my car was totaled after September 18, 2015?
If you owned an Eligible Vehicle that was functioning and operable as of September 18, 2015, but was subsequently totaled (and the title was transferred to an insurance company), you will be eligible for benefits under the Class Action Settlement as described in this notice at Question 19. There is one exception: if your car is totaled after June 28, 2016, but before the opt-out date (September 16, 2016), you are excluded from the settlement class and reserve your rights and claims against the Volkswagen entities."

Last edited:

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
...When you registered a car on the portal it would accurately reflect how much you'd receive based on whether someone had claimed as an eligible seller on that vehicle already... .
I'd like to believe that but I'm pretty sure the buyback quote on the portal is for full restitution and I was told by the VW claims at 1-844-98-CLAIM that the prior owner filed for restitution when they sold the car that I now have to the insurance company (totalled). So... I dunno...

playum

TDI
Cars wrecked after 9/16/16

@ forrest resto's,

- People who totaled their car after 9/16/16 are eligible for "Owner restitution", and can register anytime during the claim period (until 9/1/2018).

[/B]
So if I were to buy a restored vehicle that had been previously wrecked (after 9/16/16). Then I would be eligible for the vehicle value? And the owner who was the owner at the time of the wreck would be eligible for the owner restitution?

I see what your saying about Owner restitution, just trying to figure out what it means for a subsequent owner who buys the car after it's been fixed again, or buys it at auction and fixes it himself....

What's your take?

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
My take is that you would be eligible for the vehicle value Plus 50% of the restitution amount, and if the previous owner submits a claim before 9/1/18 then they would be eligible for the other half of the owner restitution amount.

It sounds as if you would receive the other half of the owner restitution in the case where there was no previous claim filed before the deadline.

In the past up until May they were giving full restitution for salvage or rebuilt vehicles that were salvaged after September 16th 2016.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
This was always the solution for people who bought after Sep 18th 2015. If you purchased after this date you're only entitled to the buyback + 1/2 restitution UNLESS nobody claimed as an eligible seller (by Sep 1st 2016), in which case you get their 1/2 also. When you registered a car on the portal it would accurately reflect how much you'd receive based on whether someone had claimed as an eligible seller on that vehicle already.
No, this was not the case. You're right about Eligible Sellers, but literally nothing of what you're saying about the current owners is correct.

(1) Nothing about the payment to owners of cars bought after 9/18/15 depends on whether an Eligible Seller filed a claim. Owners who bought between 9/18/15 and 6/28/16 get half of the restitution, plus a share of the other half proportionate to the amount of the Sellers' restitution pool that was remaining after all Sellers filed their claims--this totals to 78% of restitution for all owners who bought between those dates irrespective of whether there was an Eligible Seller for that car, or whether that Eligible Seller timely filed a claim. Owners who bought after 6/28/16 get full restitution, period.

(2) The portal, at least initially, was simply reflecting 50% restitution for all cars bought after 9/18/15. As above, this isn't correct.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Some more info:

I have a Jetta with a NJ title that has a little letter R in the middle of text for "rebuild". Its hard to see if you dont know to look for it.

When I did the claim, i selected "NO" for all salvage related questions.

It got flagged for a rebuild/salvage audit. I was told by CSR that there is no time frame on when it would go through and they don't have a limit on how long it can take.