1042 Miles each month? If so, when

GyroRon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
So I very carefully did the math on my cars buyback calculations and the odometers. I had assumed both cars would go back to VW in November.

With my 2013, I had literally, 7 miles remaining ( and its running on fumes the tank is nearly bone dry ) and would have had to have it towed to the dealer since the dealer is about 15 miles away.

With my 2012, I have about 60 miles remaining and its stored about 35 miles from the dealer at the airport.

My paperwork seems to be moving along nicely the last few days and I just got my offer on the 2013 last thursday evening and I sent them back the signed docs this morning. I got a email late today to schedule my appointment and the first appointment open is Dec 1st. The 2012 is still behind in the process, today it just went to step 15 " Documents complete " so I figure it might be days or even weeks before i get my offer on it. So I know Ill have it till at least Dec 1st if not later.

So saying all this, if I am able to add another 1042 miles since these cars won't be turned in till Dec 1st at the earliest, Id like confirmation of that and if so, I would likely drive them both some more in the meantime.

I stopped driving them because if I added more than 7 miles to the 2013 or 60 or so to the 2012, it would put me into a zero addition on the 13 and a deduction on the 12. As it sits now I get a extra 210$ on the 13 and no addition or deduction on the 12.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
So I very carefully did the math on my cars buyback calculations and the odometers. I had assumed both cars would go back to VW in November.
I think (and I don't know all the details about this), that you need to not worry so much about the 1042 miles a month and more about the blocks that VW uses to calculate the mileage deductions, i.e., I don't think this is done on a mile by mile basis, but jumps up a couple of hundred bucks when you pass a certain number of miles.
Since we're driving out car for the two remaining years, I guess I didn't pay too much attention to this aspect of the buyback, but I'm sure there are discussions somewhere in this forum that deal with it in great detail. You could also go and read the settlement document for the legalese, but your head would probably hurt when you were done.....

GyroRon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Well no, as far as I understand it, Its supposed to be pretty simple. You Turn in the car on whatever date your buyback appointment is scheduled.... Then your supposed to add up the months since Sept 2015. So for example, if the car were turned in Today it would be 14 months ( Sept 2015 to sept 2016 plus oct and nov = 14 months )

Then you add 1042 times the months. So 1042 x 14 = 14,588. Then you look at your current odometer reading and SUBTRACT the 14,588. In my case, my car is sitting at 54,583 miles. So taking 54,583 minus 14,588 = 39,995.

The buyback dollar amounts are based on 5000 mile increments. Right now I am in the 35,001 to 40,000 mile bracket. This gives me a $210 addition to my buyback. If I drive the car another 4 miles I am still good. Drive 5 miles and I cross over 40,000 miles and I lose the $210. At that point I could drive it 4999 more miles and still get the same amount... But that amount would be less that $210.

sure for some people, just keep driving the car, whats $210? Not much if you can drive 4999 miles for just 210$. But in my case I already have my replacement car, plus another TDI that is going back, along with my truck and 3 street legal motorcycles. So It would be better for me to park the car and get the extra cash.

My question is since my buyback is scheduled for Dec for the car I already got a offer and appointment on, Dec 1st to be exact, is it safe to assume I will be able to add another 1042 miles... Sept 2015 to Dec 2016 = 15 months = 1042 x 15 = 15,630 .... 54,583 - 15,630 = 38,953 which equals 1,046 miles of additional driving I could do before my turn in date and still be at or under 39,999 miles.

I just need confirmation that Dec 1st would make it 15 months verses 14 months for November. Ill drive the car if so, if not I will leave it parked.

GyroRon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Well I said F it and pulled the jetta out of storage. It hasn't been touched since Sept. It had a little trouble starting, like as if the fuel pump had lost prime. But once running it ran like it always had in the past. Gonna put some more miles on it since I can without penalty.

speedrye

Veteran Member
TDI
13 JSW DSG, 14 JSW DSG
I'm on the opposite end of that same spectrum. Since VW is taking their sweet time on document review, I'm probably looking at January turn-in at the earliest now. The cars aren't being driven, so both will bump into the next lower mileage bracket in January, netting me an additional $630. Definitely not driving them any more since that'll be like a Christmas bonus!

GyroRon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
I would have to schedule my buyback date for April of 2017, and leave the car parked till then to move to a higher category.

In that case I would receive 630$ instead of 210$. For a gain of 420$. Which is literally a gain of 105$ per month for those extra months of waiting. Meanwhile insurance is running me over 80$ a month and my property taxes are averaged out to roughly 25$ a month. So literally insurance and taxes eat up any extra I would make by waiting.