How important are heat shields?

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
My exhaust heat shields have become loose underneath my car, and have developed a nasty rattle. How necessary are they to remain on the car? Obviously "important" because they were put there from factory, but is it "safe" to remove them?

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
You can remove "anything" from your car. (clear title) even the VW sign.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
My exhaust heat shields have become loose underneath my car, and have developed a nasty rattle. How necessary are they to remain on the car? Obviously "important" because they were put there from factory, but is it "safe" to remove them?
They're easy to fix...

Mine were loose and falling down in a couple locations.

I bought a bag of 10 of those clamping washers, and fixed all the loose spots.

In a couple spots, the holes were too big for the clamping washers to work, so I just added a little square of thin sheet metal...maybe 2" square or 3" square, and installed these between the clamping washer and the heat shields.

Mine are all nice and tight to the car again.

Just an idea...if you feel like reattaching them instead of removing them.

Rem

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Yes you can remove them, just avoid driving through tall dry grass.
Thanks. I'm more referring to what might happen to the underside of the car. Not sure how a tuned TDI's EGT's compare to that of stock - obviously higher, but paint bubbling or hot floorboards?

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
They're easy to fix...

Mine were loose and falling down in a couple locations.

I bought a bag of 10 of those clamping washers, and fixed all the loose spots.

In a couple spots, the holes were too big for the clamping washers to work, so I just added a little square of thin sheet metal...maybe 2" square or 3" square, and installed these between the clamping washer and the heat shields.

Mine are all nice and tight to the car again.

Just an idea...if you feel like reattaching them instead of removing them.

Rem
That's a good idea as well...but I will probably just remove them though.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
The one exhaust shield bolted to the engine block is there to protect the inner right axle CV Joint boot ............... it is important.

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
The floor of the car will be warmer... I would replace the missing fasteners and keep the shields in place if practical.