"Dieselgate": Owners' Reactions Survey

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
Prove that you're from Paris. I want to see a picture of you standing next to the Eiffel tower wearing a beret and holding a baguette.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
Prove that you're from Paris. I want to see a picture of you standing next to the Eiffel tower wearing a beret and holding a baguette.
I'd rather see him leaning on his Citroen Deux Chevaux, the epitome of French automotive styling.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Hi Nicole!
Actually this is the research question of my thesis:

Intentional cheating and recalls: What would be the impact on consumer trust, car sales and the car industry?

I wanted to know if people would lose trust towards a brand after they discovered that the very brand intentionaly cheated in order to gain a competitive advantage.
:)
My 2 cents: many are upset with VWAG for putting us in the situation of having to replace cars before we intended and possibly not being able to replace our current cars with something similar. For some it was the issue of them being ready to move on but being frozen with their current car for over a year. Once you plug in the buyback numbers, the deal is really good for those with newer cars and not quite so good for the older cars. Specifically, there is a $7000 difference between my 11 Golf and my 10 JSW. That's a big jump. For complete clarity, I've turned in the Golf and figured that it cost me a few thousand dollars, including fuel, for driving it for five and a half years.

If we look beyond dieselgate, I think more people are upset with recalls and the way some of them are handled. For instance, the GM ignition switch recall. It took GM forever to admit there were issues and they didn't seem to care about the body count.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
My 2 cents: many are upset with VWAG for putting us in the situation of having to replace cars before we intended and possibly not being able to replace our current cars with something similar. For some it was the issue of them being ready to move on but being frozen with their current car for over a year. Once you plug in the buyback numbers, the deal is really good for those with newer cars and not quite so good for the older cars. Specifically, there is a $7000 difference between my 11 Golf and my 10 JSW. That's a big jump. For complete clarity, I've turned in the Golf and figured that it cost me a few thousand dollars, including fuel, for driving it for five and a half years.
<snip>.
For others, the horrific original drop in resale was an emotional shock < $4,500 in 7 weeks ~~ via NADA and KBB

I first owned my 2003 GSL Golf, from the original owner. And got very good resale $$$$s when I sold it on the CURB 3.5 years later.

I was banking on excellent resale value what ever the future had for us on the TDi ~~ one issue with this household was a significant change in health issues, job related issues, and one other personal issue.

But the WAG settlement righted all for us. Our plan is to take the fix, and BOSCH $$$$s ~~ In addition to that money, we do not have to pay TT&L nor interest, or insurance (on the 3rd unit)

$8,265-ish in total:)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Resale was never a consideration for me. I was in year 5 of my 10 year minimum planned ownership of the JSW. The Golf was at year 3 of probably 6 at which point it would have gone to one of my girls.

Clovemace

TDI
Golf

If we look beyond dieselgate, I think more people are upset with recalls and the way some of them are handled. For instance, the GM ignition switch recall. It took GM forever to admit there were issues and they didn't seem to care about the body count.
Thanks for your opinion on the matter. Wow, I didn't know that there would be such a huge difference in money between cars of different model years.

Yeah looks like you that owning that Golf really payed off :)

Clovemace

TDI
Golf
For others, the horrific original drop in resale was an emotional shock < $4,500 in 7 weeks ~~ via NADA and KBB
I first owned my 2003 GSL Golf, from the original owner. And got very good resale $$$$s when I sold it on the CURB 3.5 years later.
I was banking on excellent resale value what ever the future had for us on the TDi ~~ one issue with this household was a significant change in health issues, job related issues, and one other personal issue.
But the WAG settlement righted all for us. Our plan is to take the fix, and BOSCH $$$$s ~~ In addition to that money, we do not have to pay TT&L nor interest, or insurance (on the 3rd unit)
$8,265-ish in total:)

Glad to hear the settlement is generous!

Yes, I understand the merits of diesel, TDI cars. Here in France, close to 70% of cars are powered by diesel engines.

Diesel cars here have higher resale value (around 1600$ for the same car) than gasoline cars, they are more fuel efficient and the price of diesel is a lot cheaper at the pumps (in France).

Fun fact, diesel is a lot more expensive this side of the pond!
It's currently around $ 5.64per gallon where I live. :)

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Last edited:

Clovemace

TDI
Golf
And we've reached 100 completed surveys! I really appreciate that so many of you gave your time to help me with this! You guys are awesome.
:)

Clovemace

TDI
Golf
Well, yes and no. Those are the 2015 model year cars that were held back. There is still no work on getting any new diesel models moving forward . . .

- TIm
Ah yes, I understand. I hope VW will soon give more info about the future of TDI in the states.