"Bridge" insurance - shouldve forced out of VW

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
"Bridge" insurance.

Those that decide against the BB and are in holding pattern for fix, should have power-train insurance till time of the fix, at which time the fix's extra insurance would kick in. So it is not completely crazy, limit it to say 7Y/150K miles.

Of course that would likely drop # of ppl opting for BB, but I think it would be fair.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
You mean "extended warranty," just to be clear. Yes, this would be nice for everyone. We are doing the buyback, no question, and plan to wait until the end of 2018. We will probably be 10k out of powertrain before that happens, but of course we can always just decide to do it before we hit 60K.....just as someone doesn't have to wait for the fix, they can just do the buyback.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
You don't think the Bean Counters at VW had this on a page of the power point presentations to management?

The number of predicted repairs that will end up pushing someone over to buyback if they have to pay for it themselves. if enough buybacks come in to hit the required % they don't have to design a emissions fix for the 09-12. And probably save $$.

These professional Bean Counters are good at their job. something like this would not be overlooked, along with things we would never think of. And things would be looked at in ways that would probably twist my mind in circles.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
You don't think the Bean Counters at VW had this on a page of the power point presentations to management?

The number of predicted repairs that will end up pushing someone over to buyback if they have to pay for it themselves. if enough buybacks come in to hit the required % they don't have to design a emissions fix for the 09-12. And probably save $$.

These professional Bean Counters are good at their job. something like this would not be overlooked, along with things we would never think of. And things would be looked at in ways that would probably twist my mind in circles.
They aren't that good. When they set on the path to where we/they are at the moment...they misplaced the decimal point in their "tab" for this train wreck (if they were to get caught) several places to the left of where it should have been. If they had a realistic grasp of our regulations...they would have either: 1. Not fielded the CR TDI's, or 2. Done the job right the first time.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
Very gross miscalculations by VWs higher up bean counters. Almost catastrophic. They are very lucky sales of TDI were lackluster. All VW can say is they are lucky to still be alive.

Increase the 500,000 plus TDI common rail sales by a few million could have made VW bankrupt. Did they realize they would be forced to a buyback ? I doubt it. They tried and failed. The Gen 2 & 3 fixes where AdBlue hardware is already in place should be interesting.

Right now on the dealer floors are NMS Passats, dated designs and worse..slow foot traffic. Went to Audi's floor the other day to test drive a CPO Q7...night and day. There was a vibe at Audi. Quattro is VWs best chance.

Quattros that get 30 mpgs not bad. VWs best picks now are the Passat and the GTI...that's it. No new Microbus, no new Tiguan, no new diesels. Audi...totally different story. A6, A4, Q3,5 & 7 are all nice.

CPO TSI VWs that sticker in the teens are now $10,000 to $12,000 with barely broken in leased miles. What would I rather get as a middle aged man...probably an Audi. What makes more sense for errand runners and commuters...I'd say the Passat TSI makes a good all around buy.

:cool:

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Yeah, "bridge warranty" is what I meant.

Less as punitive measure, more to alleviate inconvenience to many here who have chosen the BB and are afraid to drive their cars, fearing catastrophic failure of some sort (turbo, HPFP). Not fair.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Less as punitive measure, more to alleviate inconvenience to many here who have chosen the BB and are afraid to drive their cars, fearing catastrophic failure of some sort (turbo, HPFP). Not fair.
I can see your point, and I would certainly appreciate such a warranty. However, I think it stands about as much chance as a paper dog in hell of becoming a reality. I'm confident enough in the integrity of the power train to wing it....and as far as the HPFP (our Passat is covered on the turbo and heater core), well, che sera, sera.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
Before the scandal broke, did catastrophic failure cross your mind every minute you were on the road? But now it does. And that's because VW is offering you more than your car is worth. But you see this as unfair? Amazing. Why not not buy a one year extended warranty package yourself? Then you could drive with peace of mind.

Last edited:

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
Before the scandal broke, did catastrophic failure cross your mind every minute you were on the road? But now it does. And that's because VW is offering you more than your car is worth. But you see this as unfair? Amazing.
Yeah what is amazing about the whole thing is that VW didn't hurt us at all. We got a car that got great gas mileage and good power. And now we get a buy back for more than our cars are worth.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Before the scandal broke, did catastrophic failure cross your mind every minute you were on the road? But now it does. And that's because VW is offering you more than your car is worth. But you see this as unfair? Amazing. Why not not buy a one year extended warranty package yourself? Then you could drive with peace of mind.
A good idea but most extended warranty plans don't go much past 100k miles.
I was able to get one for an additional 55k mi on a used A3 TDI with 49,500 on it.
I would have bought more miles if it had been possible.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
I was able to get one for an additional 55k mi on a used A3 TDI with 49,500 on it.
You're right. Can't get one for my MB either even though it only has 67K on the clock. Might be because it's 16 years old.

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah...we bought some new appliances, and the dealer includes an extended warranty for 7 years for next to nothing. I jokingly asked them "What if we forget about the first 7, I'll just take the manufacturer's warranty on that. What will you charge me to warranty the second seven?" I got nothing.....

But seriously, best warranty we ever had was on the '04 SAAB 9-5 wagon we're still driving. Bought as a CPO car from a dealer (now defunct) in CT 3 years old with 21K miles for $21K, GM B to B warranty to 6/100. So we got a 3/80 bumper-to-bumper on a used car; most new cars don't get 80K on the powertrain.....

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW (GoneBack) - replaced with '15 Azera and '16 Fiat 500e.
VW has no reason to further incentivise people continuing driving the cars. Best case scenario for them is everyone executes the buyback as soon as possible.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
But yet, some of us can't find a reason to take the buyback *period* . . . .
They never expected to come up with a compensation package that would appeal to everyone.

As much as I want out of my car, I get that there are people out there that like theirs, perhaps have no car payment at this point, and don't want to go shopping for a new car and take on a new car note.

There's nothing wrong with that. That being said though, you can't drive the design of a compensation package intended for ~480,000 people (plus another ~100,000 if Canadian customers get in on it) based on the wants of x < 15% of the population.