Idle is rough after replacing injector pump seals

jnl_public

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
My injector pump (IP) was leaking near the quantity adjuster, so the upper and lower seals were replaced as per some instructions found in the blogoshere. The leak now appears to have been remedied.

The issue now is that at idle it sounds like the engine is misfiring.

I also do not have access to a Vag-com yet.

But I read on our site that if the QA is seated to far to the passenger side to much fuel (mg/cylinder stroke) can be sent to the engine making it sound like it is misfiring. So, I tried the hammer method to adjust the QA and at point, after short delays, the idle rpms increases.

Since I had no idle issues before, is it likely that I just need to use a Vag-com to get feedback (mg/cylinder stroke readings) while moving the QA as well as making smaller adjustments to the QA's position at a time?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

(Aside, I did search through other posts before posting this message. My apologies if this message's content seems redundant.)

09wingates

TDI
2002 Beetle ALH Manual
Its very easy to move the quantity adjustment cap slightly if you didnt put alignment marks on it and the pump case prior to removal. I think your best bet is to get ahold of Vag-com and redial your timing. I real-sealed my pump earlier this year and took a dremel and cut light scribe marks so that I could align everything back the way it was. This may not help you much...

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
But I read on our site that if the QA is seated to far to the passenger side to much fuel (mg/cylinder stroke) can be sent to the engine making it sound like it is misfiring. So, I tried the hammer method to adjust the QA and at point, after short delays, the idle rpms increases.
Moving toward the passenger side reduces fueling. It sounds like you are over fueling.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
You really shouldn't be messing with fuel without monitoring your IQ, correct me if I'm wrong but if you hit or exceed zero you have a run away on your hands...I go really slow when I'm coming down in number

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

jnl_public

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
... I think your best bet is to get a hold of Vag-com and redial your timing. I real-sealed my pump earlier this year and took a dremel and cut light scribe marks so that I could align everything back the way it was.
@09wingates
I utilized referenced marks made on the IP body and QA too. And am trying to acquire a Vag-com like device.

You really shouldn't be messing with fuel without monitoring your IQ, correct me if I'm wrong but if you hit or exceed zero you have a run away on your hands...I go really slow when I'm coming down in number
@WildChild80
When moving the QA towards the driver's side, the sudden increase in rpm's led me to believe that I was flirting with a run-away situation. Fortunately, tapping the QA back towards the passenger's side and/or killing the ignition was able to rectify that issue.

(Aside: maybe that a good note for someone WITH a runaway situation do to messing with the QA placement, tapping the QA towards the passenger side seems to get that condition back under control.)

Thanks for the input.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
After I saw the amount or movement or rather the lack of movement from idle to full potato I was much more cautious, someone posted that they had marked the QA and had successfully installed and had perfect IQ after...I wasn't there but I find that terribly hard to believe since fractions of an inch make huge differences in the IQ

It's not cheap but owning your own vagcom is worth the investment if you plan on keeping a TDI and doing our own work unless you have someone with one close by

jnl_public

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
...fractions of an inch make huge differences in the IQ...

I did the best I could lining up my marks on the QA, but the misfiring may be another issue now. Agreed in general though, even being a newb with an n=1 experience with this re-sealing effort, it must be almost impossible to reseat the QA where it needs to be.

Thanks for that input. Working on getting my hands on a VCDS.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
When I replaced my seals, I made my mark and put it back together and it looked perfect. When I looked at my IQ it was 15 or 17...I usually run a 4 or 5 iq

I'd be willing to bet it'll run fine after you get your IQ set. This is just one of a few reasons I just broke down and got my vagcom.

jnl_public

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
Success! And many of you including @WildChild80 were spot on, I need to obtain and use a VCDS to set adjust the quantity adjuster to dispense the recommended amount of fuel (mgs/stroke)

Turns out the engine was running rough after replacing the seals because the QA was set to dispense fuel amounts that were way to low, below 1mg/stroke. And moving the QA more towards the driver's side made the fuel mixture even thinner. With the hammer method, tapping the QA back towards the passenger while watching the reading on the VCDS I was able to dial in the fuel quantity to about 3mg/stroke and now the engine prrrrs again.

Thanks for everyone support.

Cheers!

When I replaced my seals, I made my mark and put it back together and it looked perfect. When I looked at my IQ it was 15 or 17...I usually run a 4 or 5 iq

I'd be willing to bet it'll run fine after you get your IQ set. This is just one of a few reasons I just broke down and got my vagcom.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Glad your happily dieseling along again

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Turns out the engine was running rough after replacing the seals because the QA was set to dispense fuel amounts that were way to low, below 1mg/stroke. And moving the QA more towards the driver's side made the fuel mixture even thinner. With the hammer method, tapping the QA back towards the passenger while watching the reading on the VCDS I was able to dial in the fuel quantity to about 3mg/stroke and now the engine prrrrs again.
Thanks for everyone support.
Cheers!

What you did is to lower the actual fueling by raising the IQ number.
I know....It does not seem right.

Please read this for more info
http://www.dbwllc.net/app/uploads/2014/09/DBW-IQ-Procedure-1.pdf

jnl_public

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
Ah, I appreciate you teaching me about the concept and wording.

Just to be clear, originally the amount of fuel injected/stroke was ~0.2mg and tapping the QA towards the passenger raised the amount to ~3.0mg. From this newbs point of view, that looks like I was raising the amount of fuel dispensed per stroke, no??

And IQ, that's Injected Quantity?

Signed,

The student in the front row

What you did is to lower the actual fueling by raising the IQ number.
I know....It does not seem right.