1997 VR6 Automatic Passat Wagon to 1Z Manual

TDI Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, 1996 Passat Variant (RIP), 2002 Jetta Wagon, 1995 Passat Variant TDI conversion brought back from the dead, 1997 Passat Variant project, and returned 2014 Passat
Starting my conversion of a 1997 Passat VR6 Automatic transmission wagon to a 1Z TDI Manual transmission (from my totaled 1996 Passat wagon, only have engine and transmission left from it). I have all the conversion parts I am aware of from accelerator conversion to drive by wire, to complete wiring harnesses, and finally sourcing clutch pedal assembly today. I will add pictures and information as I go.
First question for the group:

Is the VR6 wagon and TDI wagon tank the same size? If so what changes do I need to make besides the sending unit? I did pull a tdi tank sending tank sending unit out of a TDI sedan, as I was told they are different.
Second question:

Can I use the VR6 gasoline lines from the tank to the engine compartment for the TDI or do I need to change these as well?

Thanks everyone for help with the first of many questions.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

CasaEd

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Passat TDi B4, VW Passat TDi B4 GL, VW Passat B3 PD AWX Conversion
Hi Jim,
I have a 1994 B4 TDI estate and it has a a tank of 70 Litres capacity.(European)
In my tank the hole for the tank sender unit is a small one, the one in the V6 wagon is large because it has a fuel pump in the tank. As for the fuel lines you can keep them, although it might be worth changing the rubber pipes both ends of the fuel lines just as a precaution

TDI Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, 1996 Passat Variant (RIP), 2002 Jetta Wagon, 1995 Passat Variant TDI conversion brought back from the dead, 1997 Passat Variant project, and returned 2014 Passat
Thanks CasaEd for the heads up! Sounds like I need to pull my parts out of the back of the wagon and check the fuel sending unit to see if TDI unit will fit a VR6 wagon tank.

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
On the VR6 passat wagon TDI swap I did, I left the stock tank and intank fuel pump! It is still going fine, 5 years later. I merely controlled the excess pressure by making an H pipe setup with two tees before the fuel filter, returning the excess back down the return line. I then routed the fuel filter return line to the EVAP line, which ends up routing the hot fuel down the filler neck, making the filler neck act as fuel cooler. I simply bypassed the stock fuel filter with barbs and a section of clear tygothane fuel hose. Customer who owns it has gotten 1200 mile tanks out of it, with a stage 3 rocket chip tune, custom front mount intercooler from a saab (same side in/out, used mk3 jetta boost pipes)

Less work than swapping tanks! Lift pumps are a nice addition. If it works why not?

TDI Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow GtiTDI, need to look into this in detail, could solve sourcing a tank, thanks for the information!

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Only part I left out is removing the filler neck restrictor, but that is fairly straight forward and covered in depth already, just need to search a bit.

TDI Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
Starting on it again when it warms up this Spring, since car is outside in the mud for now. Head is rebuilt, block is next to go over.