Crankshaft endplay clearances

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
Frank
Thank you so much for your time and effort into my post- I really appreciate it!

I’m currently working on my DD but next week I’m back to my TB issue

Will update soon :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
Well I’m back and I’ve made some progress

I ended up going to PNP and grabbed another ALH block. What I did was strip it down leaving the crankshaft and mains untouched. I then performed the same end play check as I did on my earlier block.
The results were interesting. When I shoved the crankshaft forward to measure the end play I recorded 0.15mm of movement (remember mine was around 0.10mm). When the screwdriver was released the micrometer recorded only 0.02mm of play.
I’m getting the same results as before so I’m concluding that nothing is wrong with my first block- I’m moving on :)
I followed Frank’s tightening down procedure to insure my caps are aligned - again thanks Frank you have been a great help

Now onto my next issue- my piston protrusion numbers and HG thickness

Background info:
-New Nural pistons.
-Head and block have been both resurfaced.

I’m using an accurate measuring instrument so these numbers should be good. All four cylinders had a average piston protrusion of 0.69 mm

Here’s the Bentley specs:

My concern now is, my numbers are much lower than Bentley’s range for HG’s ( 0.91-1.00mm )
Can I still use the 1 hole HG for my rebuild without running into compression issues?

Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk