Check Engine Light - Exhaust Flap

cmeller

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
Let it be known I know little about cars, so ignore my ignorance below.

Just want to hear everyone's thoughts on the following:

I have a 2010 TDI Sportwagen (DSG) and at about 46K the check engine light came on and I took it to the dealer. They said it needs a new 'exhaust flap', it drives fine, but the repair will be about $750. Not sure what the part is called but I wanted to see if anyone has heard anything on here about this type of repair.

thanks..

cd_booth

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG

I have a 2010 TDI Sportwagen (DSG) and at about 46K the check engine light came on and I took it to the dealer. They said it needs a new 'exhaust flap', it drives fine, but the repair will be about $750. Not sure what the part is called but I wanted to see if anyone has heard anything on here about this type of repair.

thanks..
Check this thread out. It's mostly guessing in the beginning but they eventually get to the root of the problem, possible fixes, and part numbers for replacement:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=275066&highlight=weak+link

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)

thanks..
That's a lot of money. You can buy the exhaust valve (flap) for $260 here:
http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=29_124&products_id=2502

I would also buy 2 new clamps and 2 new gaskets (the old ones can be pretty rusty). The total should be about $300. I have not had to do this yet, but I have been told that the replacement is easy (20 minutes or less). All you need are some ramps, a wrench, and a few minutes. To pay a non-dealer to do it should cost less than $100. Dealers are almost always the most expensive place to go for service.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Would that part be covered somehow under the emissions warranty? I'd push on that considering your mileage. The worst that can happen is they say no, and then you say bye,bye.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Would that part be covered somehow under the emissions warranty? I'd push on that considering your mileage. The worst that can happen is they say no, and then you say bye,bye.
IMHO, it should be covered. It is definitely part of the emissions system. When the exhaust flap fails the NOx storage catalyst cannot (will not) regenerate. It also controls EGR pressure, which is also a vital part of the whole emissions system. However, just because we think it should be covered, that doesn't mean that VW agrees that it is covered. It is certainly worth a try, anyway.

Have Fun!

Don

TDI_Coast2Coast

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI SW 6spd Manual
That item should be replaced under federal emissions warranty. I finally got dealer to admit to such(of course because I am now out of fed warranty now).

I have had that exhaust flap fault pop up before(while under fed warranty), but after driving it in what would amount to sport mode in DSG(I have 6M) for a few days, it went away and have not gotten a fault in over 15k.

Without that flap working, your emissions system does not function properly, therefore it should be covered under the emissions warranty.

I've also been given different numbers on the mileage of the fed warranty length from same dealership. Only when it is in their favor, will they give you true number.

They first told me it wasn't covered under fed warranty, then admitted it is, but they told me the fed warranty was only 70k on my year(2010 with 71k at time) and I finally just gave up after light did not come back on. I usually leave the dealer agitated. I was at dealer to pick up filters and decided to ask again about Fed warranty length. This time they told me it was 80k on fed warranty, which I was under when I originally went in with that problem. I need to start taping conversations when I go there.

90k almost now with that flap still working...When it goes, time to upgrade the whole exhaust.

Last edited:

cmeller

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
Thanks for all the advice. The flapper is currently on back order so they told me to drive it as usual until they get it in stock. I called WV of A and explained how disappointed I am in the Brand and would hope this would be covered. They assigned a regional person to the case and I'll know more on Monday.

If they refuse to pay for it (or at least half), I might call a local garage and see what they would charge. I'm still out the $120 for the diagnostic test..

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm still out the $120 for the diagnostic test..
This is the best reason why I believe that every VW owner should either own VCDS or else have a friend who does. Two (or three) little problems over the life of the car and VCDS is free. $120 dollars to read a fault code - that is ridiculous.

Have Fun!

Don

cmeller

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
This is the best reason why I believe that every VW owner should either own VCDS or else have a friend who does. Two (or three) little problems over the life of the car and VCDS is free. $120 dollars to read a fault code - that is ridiculous.

Have Fun!

Don
Thanks for the tip Don. I did stop at a autoparts store to get check the code myself but it wasn't a code they could find. Is a VCDS different than a standard checking tool? I also asked at the dealer if they could hook it up quickly and let me know what the problem is and they said it would only give the general trouble area and they would need to explore themselves....

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for the tip Don. I did stop at a autoparts store to get check the code myself but it wasn't a code they could find. Is a VCDS different than a standard checking tool? I also asked at the dealer if they could hook it up quickly and let me know what the problem is and they said it would only give the general trouble area and they would need to explore themselves....
VCDS is a dealer level scan tool with label files that actually explain what most of the fault codes mean. Plus Ross-Tech (the source of VCDS) also maintains a Wiki with detailed descriptions of most fault codes complete with troubleshooting tips and possible causes. It's a great tool and a great company. They are also a long time supporter of this site.

Have Fun!

Don

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
Cmeller, get in touch with Rawtek exhaust and a econo tune from Malone... bypass replacing it ;)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
That item should be replaced under federal emissions warranty. I finally got dealer to admit to such(of course because I am now out of fed warranty now).

I have had that exhaust flap fault pop up before(while under fed warranty), but after driving it in what would amount to sport mode in DSG(I have 6M) for a few days, it went away and have not gotten a fault in over 15k.

Without that flap working, your emissions system does not function properly, therefore it should be covered under the emissions warranty.

I've also been given different numbers on the mileage of the fed warranty length from same dealership. Only when it is in their favor, will they give you true number.

They first told me it wasn't covered under fed warranty, then admitted it is, but they told me the fed warranty was only 70k on my year(2010 with 71k at time) and I finally just gave up after light did not come back on. I usually leave the dealer agitated. I was at dealer to pick up filters and decided to ask again about Fed warranty length. This time they told me it was 80k on fed warranty, which I was under when I originally went in with that problem. I need to start taping conversations when I go there.

90k almost now with that flap still working...When it goes, time to upgrade the whole exhaust.

Saddly the federal emissions warranty for EGR systems is only held to 2yr/24K, anything after that the dealer's doing you a favor (VW is kind enough to cover it up to 36K/3yr bumber to bumper.

Read up on the EPA's site they have a document that hasn't been updated since 1996 that explains whats covered and what's not. By the emails i've had with them they don't really intend on updating it.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Cmeller, get in touch with Rawtek exhaust and a econo tune from Malone... bypass replacing it ;)

This is good advice,*IF* you do not care about air quality or the law. If you do care about air quality or the law, repair or replace the flapper valve. Also, replacing the flapper valve is a lot cheaper than the above suggestion.

Have Fun!

Don

Millbilly

TDI
2010 Sportwagen
Can you still pass emissions with this stuff?

My exhaust flap failed on me. I took it out and loosened it up a bit and it went another 5K before the light came back on. I'm replacing it today, but I suspect the new one will only get me another 40-60K.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Can you still pass emissions with this stuff?

My exhaust flap failed on me. I took it out and loosened it up a bit and it went another 5K before the light came back on. I'm replacing it today, but I suspect the new one will only get me another 40-60K.
Probably not. It would take a pretty stupid inspector or a sizable bribe for them to not notice that all of the emissions equipment has been removed. Plus, these parts are not cheap. You could probably buy 4 to 6 exhaust flapper valves for less than the cost of an emissions system delete (down pipe, exhaust, and tune). I cannot vouch for this personally, but i have been told that VW has improved the design of the flapper valves. Therefore, with any luck, your new one should last longer than your original one.

I have also taken to lubricating my flapper valve whenever my car is up on ramps with a high temperature lubricant in hopes that it will last longer.

Have Fun!

Don

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All the new diesel toy trucks with dual 6" straight pipes pass inspection all the time, why couldn't a little 2.0L?

If the ODBII is happy so is the inspector

Btw the flapper valve is the first of countless other emissions systems that will quickly empty your pocket.

I'm all for saving the earth, but not when it's going to cost 1/4 the value of my car to only fail in another 4-5 years.

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All the new diesel toy trucks with dual 6" straight pipes pass inspection all the time, why couldn't a little 2.0L?

If the ODBII is happy so is the inspector
Millbilly lives in California. This is a whole different ball game than NH when it comes to emissions inspections.

Have Fun!

Don

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
Millbilly lives in California. This is a whole different ball game than NH when it comes to emissions inspections.

Have Fun!

Don
Glad I live in Texas where they dont emission test but in 3 counties (I think 3) and Diesels are exempt in those. Just pass a safety inspection and for the most part thats just seatbelts, lights and brakes. Quick drive around the block and you have a new sticker in your windshield. Being from California though.. I feel your pain. Anything and everything in that state causes cancer.

tomsyco

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 White Golf 2 Door
I have one of these valves. If someone needs one pm me.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

danham

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Add me to the list - maybe. Got a MIL while on a trip ('10 JSW TDI, around 38k miles). Car ran fine so I finished the trip and on the way home the light went out by itself.

Came back on a day or so later, so a friend with VAG-com read the code. It was "P0401/001025 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System: Insufficient Flow Detected." He reset the light and about 20 miles later it came on again.

Today I lubed and worked the flap a few times. It didn't seem to be binding, but I gave it some WD-40 (from the outside - no disassembly) and opened and closed it all the way about a dozen times. When i started the car, the light went out. I drove about 30 miles, "vigorously," and it stayed out, but we'll see.

-dan

Golf58

TDI
2011 4 Dr Golf TDI
Add me to the list - maybe. Got a MIL while on a trip ('10 JSW TDI, around 38k miles). Car ran fine so I finished the trip and on the way home the light went out by itself.

Came back on a day or so later, so a friend with VAG-com read the code. It was "P0401/001025 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System: Insufficient Flow Detected." He reset the light and about 20 miles later it came on again.

Today I lubed and worked the flap a few times. It didn't seem to be binding, but I gave it some WD-40 (from the outside - no disassembly) and opened and closed it all the way about a dozen times. When i started the car, the light went out. I drove about 30 miles, "vigorously," and it stayed out, but we'll see.

-dan
Mine went a few days before my 30K service ( stuck open ) drove a couple of weeks like that, before they got parts in. During that time mileage was definitely better, 4-5 mpg with same driving route, miles and habits.

danham

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
OK, the dealer says the EGR filter has failed and is not covered by the federal 80k warranty, so it looks like a $700 soaking for yours truly.

-dan

EDIT: After a surprisingly pleasant conversation with a VW customer care rep, VoA is at least considering some "help" on this -- I should know next week. Also, I learned that MA does indeed play by the same extended emission warranty rules as CA, but while those do include more coverage than the federal 8/80 items, the EGR filter is not covered.

Last edited:

danham

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
UPDATE: VoA is buying the repair (new EGR filter and plumbing).

They didn't elaborate on why, but my "case" as presented by me over the phone consisted of product loyalty (have bought a fair # of Veedubs over the years), only 2k miles out of warranty, emissions-related problem in a "California" type state (MA), and I didn't yell at anybody [g].

Short term I am a satisfied customer. Long term, we'll see...

-dan

danham

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Long term my eye. About 1000 miles later, the check engine light is back on. May be time to get rid of this lemon.

-dan

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
CEL came on this morning on my 50 mile highway commute to the office, no change in driving or idle what so ever. MFD said 55mpg which is a bit high even by my standards. 70,350 miles without a CEL!

Fingers crossed I'll be able to get a new flapper free of charge. Fist stop will be at autozone to see what code they will pull before calling the dealer.

danham

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Our CELs must be communicating, because mine went out today while doing errands. But it did this once or twice during the last go-round as well, so I'll get the word on Thursday whether the dealer owns this round or not.

-dan