FS - 1997 Passat Wagon TDI B4V - Needs Work - $2k

hydrargium

TDI
1997 Passat Wagon
Finally selling my 1997 VW Passat Wagon TDI. Currently located in Brighton, MI - about 30 minutes north of Ann Arbor.

This car was my DD from 2011 until I started working from home in 2015. I've been neglecting it as my project ever since so very little miles in the past year. I've come to the realization that I simply am never going to give her the attention and resources she needs so it is time to sell her to someone else who will. I bought her off eBay when I was a little more naive about TDIs so I don't have any record/history of the time before my ownership. Here is what I do know:

She is a 1997 GLX Wagon with a 1996 AHU TDI motor and 5 speed manual transmission. I suspect the cluster was reset at the time of the transplant and currently reads 67,5xx miles. Oil always changed with Mobil 1 TDT and Mann filters.

New glow plugs, harness, and fuse/relay overhaul at purchase in 2011. Clutch was replaced with the idparts Quiet Clutch kit by Marty Bergel in 2012. He also replaced the engine mounts, rear main seal, several suspension components, and did some troubleshooting on an intermittent boost issue at highway speed. I have his notes from the work I can share privately.

New rear brakes (including calipers) in 2012 and new rear brake lines and flush this past winter. Timing Belt was changed and IP was rebuilt with a reseal kit from idparts at the end of 2014. Two brand new Eagle RS-As from this Spring and two remaining Firestone Affinitys on the front with 8/32 tread remaining.

The Good: The Engine. It is responsive with the proper expected low end torque. Turbo spools up fine. Brakes are solid although the parking brake can stick in winter (common problem). I've observed mid to upper 40s for fuel economy over her life.

The Bad: There is a missing sub-frame counterweight that contributes to more vibration than average at low idle. Expect some exhaust rattle and prone to minor leaks - there was a pinhole leak I had fixed this past winter.

The Ugly: Rust, rust, and rust. The body has seen better days. See the pictures. Rust is worst on wheel wells, doors, and around the windshield. DS Window Motor is dead but I have a replacement from idparts (included).

I am not looking to turn a profit on selling this and mostly hoping it can go to someone who either loves the cars and bodywork or is looking for a solid motor for a swap project. I created a craiglist ad to host the pictures: https://annarbor.craigslist.org/cto/5759960851.html

Please ignore the price in the CL ad. I would much rather see someone from idparts get the car and so I am asking $2,000 for it as-is and will donate 2% of the sale to TDIClub. I wouldn't say no to more but I feel that this is a fair price :)

Feel free to PM me or reply with any questions.

hydrargium

TDI
1997 Passat Wagon
Bump. Back on market after a failed buyer and no hits over vacation.

I dropped the price to $1500 due to getting little interest from the community.

Happy to answer questions or hear offers if anyone has them.