2001 Black Jetta TDI 5 speed all good except motor - NC

captain

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (manual) - SOLD;2002 Jetta TDI(auto) - SOLD
For Sale: $2200
2001 Black Jetta TDI Sedan, 5 speed. 215584 miles. 2nd owner. Purchased from co-worker in 2013.
Everything worked well until a week ago. Apparently something let go at 65mph on the interstate:(. Towed home. Turning engine by hand, will only turn one way or the other about 1.5” before stopping.
When it ran, we got 47-48mpg in the winter and 48-50mpg in the summer.
No major problems “other“ than the motor. Typical interior deterioration: headliner falling (headliner pins actually look fair up there), plastic on driver window controls has wear, middle armrest cover hinges broke. Cloth tan seats look good for this mileage. Cloth around door armrests popped out. The black foam underneath has made some marks on the cloth. Dash and radio console look good. Body is good. No oxidation for the paint. Not many scratches or dings. 8 of 10 for the paint. Buffed/waxed, could easily be a 9. 3 small rust spots on front edge of the hood, about ½” across, right above the headlights.
5 speed tranny, turbo, intake, and exhaust are fine. Everything else is good to go as well (power windows, door locks, electrical system, etc.) Tires are easily 50-60%.
FWIW, most recent parts within the last year or two: New cat, voltage regulator, new seals on injection pump, new valve cover (stupid formed-in gaskets!), new battery 2 years ago.
Timing for us is right to sell rather than fix. Son picked up a truck, leaving us +1 in the vehicle department. Couldn’t decide what to sell between our 2 Jettas and a Grand Cherokee (last with a new motor). This, unfortunately, helps make the decision.
This would be fantastic for someone up north with a rusted out Jetta or Golf with a good motor. Or for someone wanting to swap from an auto to a stick. Obviously, all the parts are here.
Btw, our second Jetta is a 2002 auto. I’m not above parking this in the back yard and waiting for the auto to bite the dust. I’d swap now, but the wife doesn’t drive a stick and we had her auto rebuilt 3 years ago:eek:.

More images can be found HERE

captain

TDI
Bump. Have a friend who can haul somewhere between NC to WI. For asking price, I'll pay him. Timeline would be in 2 weeks, Thanksgiving time, and maybe Christmas. Otherwise, getting ready to throw a tarp over it until the wife's auto bites it.

captain

TDI
Looked at the motor a little more. TB is in place. Turned the motor over for a few seconds. Can hear a valve get slapped by a piston. So minimum of a broke valve. Can't say that the TB didn't jump though. Just trying to give a little more info.

Last edited:

captain

TDI
Giving this one last shot here. Lowering the price to $1800 firm. If not sold a week from Friday, I'm going to pull it into the garage and start parting her out. Really hate to do it. This TDI is in very good condition. It's been babied. She got 48.6mpg over the last 3 years for me. Doesn't mean much, as most of that is always contributed to how well the motor runs (and now doesn't). Would much rather sell her whole to be re-utilized than to part her out (and I really hate going to the Post Office). But I'm not giving her away.

Not taking parts orders yet. I'll announce over in the parts area on Sept 2nd or 3rd.
And again, wife and I will be discussing the manual tranny. We'll likely pull it, the pedals, computer, and the front assembly and put that all in the corner for her '02 auto.

One other alternative, I would be willing to sell the wife's 02 Jetta GLS TDI instead, minus the motor!

Ronstarman

Veteran Member
TDI
2/99 VW Jetta 1.9
engine seized

If you still need an engine I have one from a 2001 jetta 1.9 also new auto trans both for $1,500.00 trans alone was $3,200.00