1983 Toyota 4x4 AHU Swap

Rockwell

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (R.I.P.), 1.6TD Toyota pickup, 2011 BMW 335d, 1996 Passat TDI
I don't quite get what's going on in this picture...
Are you skipping the intercooler?
I was scratching my head on that too. Looking at it on my Iphone I didnt know if I was looking at it right.

Love this build. I also used a Volvo radiator & intercooler, BMW over-flow bottle and exhaust behind the head instead of under the engine. Great minds think alike. :D

Last edited:

dh13

TDI
1983 Toyota 4x4 AHU, 1994 Cummins, 1991 Jetta TD
I don't quite get what's going on in this picture...
Are you skipping the intercooler?
No, take a look at some of the earlier pictures. The hot pipe runs from the turbo to the drivers side of the intercooler. The cold side will run from the passenger side of the intercooler to the intake manifold. The picture you quoted is a little misleading, I do agree. I will take some more pictures this weekend.

I was scratching my head on that too. Looking at it on my Iphone I didnt know if I was looking at it right.

Love this build. I also used a Volvo radiator & intercooler, BMW over-flow bottle and exhaust behind the head instead of under the engine. Great minds think alike. :D
Thanks. I basically wanted to build a mini cummins. Except using a TDI and Volvo parts. I looked at my dodge and remembered that turbo volvos came stock with almost the exact setup I needed. So I went to pop and found the parts and what do you know they made their way into the toyota and they look great. The exhaust was a PITA to build but I like it. I think under the engine or down the passenger side of the truck is taking a short cut. Although, I really would have liked to be able to fit a 3" DP but it will work for now. Might build a smash pipe DP out of 3" later when I upgrade to a bigger turbo or turbos :)

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Sorry to tell you this but your intercooler plumbing needs to be reworked.

The part of the turbo on the cold side (compressor inlet) that doesn't have a pipe to it is where the air filter connects to it.

The intake manifold shouldn't be connected the to the turbo's compressor outlet pipe that way you have it. The air needs to flow out of the compressor's cold side through the intercooler and then into the intake manifold.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
you guys are looking at the picture wrong...yes it looks like the intake is teed into the upper IC pipe but it's really not...just the camera angle and all the bling are blinding the reality :D

dh13

TDI
Sorry to tell you this but your intercooler plumbing needs to be reworked.

The part of the turbo on the cold side (compressor inlet) that doesn't have a pipe to it is where the air filter connects to it.

The intake manifold shouldn't be connected the to the turbo's compressor outlet pipe that way you have it. The air needs to flow out of the compressor's cold side through the intercooler and then into the intake manifold.

Does this help. I assure you no rework is needed. I know it might not seem like I know what I am doing, but I have a pretty good handle on this...:D

you guys are looking at the picture wrong...yes it looks like the intake is teed into the upper IC pipe but it's really not...just the camera angle and all the bling are blinding the reality :D
Jimbote. Thank you for making me not feel like a complete idiot and realizing that it is just the camera.

I might not be the greatest photographer, but I assure you all I know how to run charge piping. And yes, it might not be the best looking or whatnot, but It will work just the same.

I will try to grab some more pictures later.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
ok, cool. I was thinking "man the guy can weld good and every welder I know understands airflow"...I'm glad it was a bad photo angle :)

turdlecharge

TDI
2005 1.9 BRM JETTA
link to details on pump will this work with an alh? highly contemplating this swap but into a mazda b 2600 (dana 30 front 8.8 rear)

dh13

TDI
I do not have any links to the pump at this time. Search M-tdi or mtdi and you will find details on how it is done. When I post next (this weekend I will be hitting the shop hard) I will add some good details about what exactly is involved in making this this running on the current pump.

Thanks

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
Build looks great and congrats on finishing school. You have your priorities right!

Mrhilux

TDI
none
Love the build. First gen toyotas are the best. Ive got an 84 toyota with a diesel title! Pulled the engine out and Im planning something similar to you. Mine is a little more hardcore wheeler... 4 link rear and stuff. But Thanks a ton for the info on here. Helps everyone.

4play

TDI
98 jetta 5-speed
Very clean, i'm currently swapping a ahu into a 91 Toyota pickup, although not nearly as clean lol but the engine was putting down low 12s before I got sick of the Jetta it was in and the trannys it was eating, looking at your intake was that difficult to tig the rolled aluminum to the cast? I.thought about doing the samem

dh13

TDI
Build looks great and congrats on finishing school. You have your priorities right!
Thank you. I tried to do it the right way.

Love the build. First gen toyotas are the best. Ive got an 84 toyota with a diesel title! Pulled the engine out and Im planning something similar to you. Mine is a little more hardcore wheeler... 4 link rear and stuff. But Thanks a ton for the info on here. Helps everyone.
Mine will be a diesel title soon :D

Very clean, i'm currently swapping a ahu into a 91 Toyota pickup, although not nearly as clean lol but the engine was putting down low 12s before I got sick of the Jetta it was in and the trannys it was eating, looking at your intake was that difficult to tig the rolled aluminum to the cast? I.thought about doing the samem
The key to welding aluminum to cast, is that you must preheat the cast. This helps in the welding process. Also, remember to clean everything. Cleaning is your friend when welding any aluminum. I have been welding for a few years so that helps.

____

Monday morning update - I did not have time to post this weekend. I will post after I am off work today. Stay tuned for updates and some info on the pump.

Thanks

4play

TDI
98 jetta 5-speed
Also, I will be running a hoodstack for exhaust. we mounted my engine a little higher then yours due to clearance with the ifs so I don't have room to make a beautiful cross pipe like you have. With the Little room left behind engine I need for heater lines. So we'll see how long tell the state troopers catch on I guess.

Last edited:

dh13

TDI
Alright. Finally found some time to post.

PUMP INFORMATION

I want to get some information out about the pump that I am using in this truck. There is a big long thread out there on M-Tdi pumps and what not. I am not going to post the link as it is pretty easy to find with a simple search for m-tdi or mtdi pump, it will come up almost 100% of the time.

I will provide some details that I had to figure out myself. The pump that I am using is from a European Land Rover 300 TDI. I sourced this pump from Ebay, but they can be found some other places. There is also a guy on this forum that sells MTdi pumps that are built for a VW TDI. They are a little more money, but at least you know what you are getting. I got lucky when I bought my pump. It was brand new from the Land Rover dealer, still in the package. The price new was around $2200 GBP, and when I bought it the exchange rate was some where around $1 GBP = $2 US. And like I said I got lucky, I managed to have the pump shipped to the US all said and done for around $600 US.

Things to look out for. You have to make sure the direction of the pump is correct. There are both left hand and right hand pumps. In this case make sure that the Bosch part number contains an L.

The next thing you need to get figured out is the pump gear drive hub. The Land Rover hub will not work. You need a hub from a Volkswagen Tdi pump. I was able to get one for FREE from my local diesel service shop.

If anyone needs more information let me know. I can try to give you more.

Here are some more pictures from what I got done.

So I managed to get quite a bit done on Friday and Saturday. Not a ton of work on the truck, but I was able to get some parts dropped off and had some made that I could not make.

I dropped off my drivelines at Six States to be lengthened and shortened.

I was able to get my power steering all hooked up. I used the factory Toyota line. The hose shop was able to find a fitting that would work in the Volkswagen pump and cut and installed a new fitting on the end of the shortened hose. Worked out great.

I also started building my exhaust. Although, I was not able to finish it. I do have some pictures of what I got done.

My exhaust consists of a 2.5 inch crossover downpipe to a v-band. Then a conical reducer/expansion to a 3 inch diameter flex pipe, another v-band and piece that will be my exhaust brake, another v-band and then the rest of the exhaust.

I will post some pictures now because I am done typing for tonight. I will explain more later....

Power steering adapter

New line

Installed

Exhaust parts

V-band, Expansion, Flex

What will be my exhaust brake. It will be cable actuated. I will post more on this when I start building it. (That is if I don't buy a factory Jacobs/Cummins one)

Some of the welds. Not by best work, but hay... Not too bad

Finished Charge Piping.

That is all for now. I will not be working on the truck this weekend. I will post more, once I have more.

Thanks

dh13

TDI
Well, I have not gotten a whole lot done in the past few weekends. I have been working on the exhaust though. I spent last weekend building exhaust hangers, a muffler, and all the plumbing of the exhaust up to the muffler. The tailpipe is super simple and will be finished this weekend, if I don't get any sicker than I am right now.

I did however pick up my drivelines, so those are ready to go on.

Here are some pictures

The muffler I had laying around from an old Cummins step van. I wanted to either go straight exhaust or buy an Aeroturbine muffler, but I had this and figured I would make it work. I did make it the same length as an Aero so if I want to buy one later on down the road I can simply just swap it out.

From this

To this...

To this...

To this...

The first mock up of the muffler and piping

More soon. Check back.

dh13

TDI
Well the progress has been pretty slow once again... I have gotten quite a bit of work done, just nothing really to show for it.

I finished my exhaust brake, rounded up all the parts needed for a vented rotor swap on the front axle, finished the exhaust all the way to the shiny SS tip, built and hooked up the throttle cable, and started the rebuild on on the front axle.

I don't really have anything else to say right now. Here are some pictures for the meantime.

That is all I have right now. I keep forgetting the camera when I go out into the shop. I will post some more soon.

Merry Christmas you'all!

dh13

TDI
Had to post up my awesome Christmas present from my parents and my brother and his wife.

I've been welding with my own gear since about 2006. Of course as a broke high school student at the time I went with a Harbor Freight helmet. For the $39.99 price tag it was a fairly decent buy, considering it worked up until about a month ago. I am finally coming up in this world, got the newest Miller Digital Elite Series Auto-Darkening Helmet.

The most comfortable helmet that I have ever had on my head!

SuperAdellic

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Between you, JaysinSpaceman, and JimBote, I'm getting the bug to convert a toyota truck (my other automotive love is Toyota trucks; drives the wife nuts at times) to TDI. It helps that I'm not far from selling or junking my Golf as this thing has turned into a lemon-flavored money pit. Thanks for showing some of what is involved in a swap like this. Keep up the good work and Merry Christmas.
SA

dh13

TDI
It Drives!

So, I know I have been gone awhile. I have been super busy and have had no time to post. Mainly I have been sick and just working and trying to go to school (again) and trying to get this truck done along with all the other stuff that I have to do. I know, I know enough complaining.

So basically I have go the truck to the point where it can be driven up and down the driveway. Yesterday my brother helped me bleed the brakes and clutch, install the drivelines, install the exhaust for the last time, full the transmission, two transfer cases, and differentials with oil, install the shifters, install the power steering belt, fill the power steering system with fluid, and install the tires.

There is a lot more work to be done, but being as though it was "drive-able" I had to drive it up and down the driveway. Let me just say, it is amazing. Once I get it dialed in it will be great.

One thing I noticed is was the clutch is not up to snuff. So basically I will be finishing everything else up and the first thing I will have to do is spring for some custom clutch setup that will hold up.

On that note, what is everyone running for clutches. I have to do some more homework on this subject and I will post once I figure it all out.

I have some pictures that I will post soon. Now I am off to class!

Thanks

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Last edited:

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
B5 Passat BHW - 6 speed manual
I've been running the trail gear 1600lb unit for the 22rte, behind my ALH, stock turbo, 520 nozzles, with RC3.
I only have 2000 miles on it, so far, but it's holding just fine. Then again, my tires break free pretty easily. :p

dh13

TDI
glad to hear you've gotten to feel the tdi torque :).... i sure enjoy my swapped yota .... i hear ya on the clutch .... im currently on clutch # 3 and about to install a v6 taco unit .... here's what ive got its all machined and ready to go in ... i believe others have good luck with south bend too :)
https://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3845973&postcount=295

and pics ;)
https://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3889095&postcount=345
I've been running the trail gear 1600lb unit for the 22rte, behind my ALH, stock turbo, 520 nozzles, with RC3.
I only have 2000 miles on it, so far, but it's holding just fine. Then again, my tires break free pretty easily. :p
I like jimbote's thinking on this one. The stock components will do less beating on the trust bearings and are factory parts, with the exception of the flywheel.

I have not had time to do anything else to the truck. I will be doing a little work on it this weekend if I find some time.

dh13

TDI
Getting Something Accomplished...

Well I know this thread has been dead for some time now... Like almost a year...

But I do have some good news, I now live in the same state that the truck is in and I have been putting in some time. For a few weeks there I did not even think about taking any pictures of what I had done, so there might be a large gap in progress shots.

But from the last time that I did post, here are some of what I got done. I finished the exhaust, rebuilt the front axle (complete with a brake upgrade), added a locker to the rear axle, installed gauges (EGT, Boost, and Drive Pressure), finished the majority of the wiring, installed bucket seats, install sound damping, installed new vinyl, installed shifter boots, painted all the plastic interior pieces, fixed the cracks in the dash panel, bought a ton of parts, installed the exhaust brake actuator cable and handle, and finally started and almost completely finished the flatbed.

The list above is just a quick compulation of what I could remember off the top of my head. A lot more thought and preparation has gone into what I have been doing to the truck. There are still a few things that drive me nutty about this whole project, mainly the fact that the engine rattles the truck like it has solid motor mounts and it is filled with empty pop cans. It is incredibly loud inside the cab, or at least I think it is. I might end up redoing the motor mounts. Most likely I will just redo the passenger side. Thinking about going with a Mercedes hydraulic mount to dampen out the engine vibrations a little.
Well for right now that is all I have to say.
Time for the pictures.

Added some extended brake lines

Upgraded brakes V6 calipers and vented Brembo Rotors

Like I said, for right now the exhaust brake will be manually activated.

Locker parts

The start of fixing the dash

More on next post.

dh13

TDI
More

Painting all the plastic parts to match

Adding some padding under the vinyl

Added some vinyl, seats, and shifter boots

Found a minty slider in my shop (then I managed to tack the a piece of tubing on the flatbed without it covered and pitted it :mad:)

More to come...

dh13

TDI
More

The start of the flatbed (Using 2x3, .120 tubing, .125" steel floor plate, and 1.75", .120 tubing)
The bed is 5' 4" wide, with a 48.250" wide opening at the back. Designed it this way so that I could fit a piece of plywood in it flat. The overall length is 5' 8".

More to come...

dh13

TDI
More

Start of the light housings

Start of the hitch

Side marker holes and the stop/tail/turns

More coming...

dh13

TDI
Lets Bend Some Tubing!

Starting to bend some tubing

More to come...

dh13

TDI
More Tubing

A weld shot. Not perfect, but I haven't TIG'ed in a long while. And I have never been the best at tubing.

Pretty much the finished product

dh13

TDI
Finished Dash

After fixing the cracks in the dash, I coated it with Duplicolor Bed Liner. I am pretty sure it reacted or was a bad can. So I tried to sand it down, but being as though it is basically rubber, it doesn't sand all that great. I used another entire can and laid it on thick, let it cure out, and finally gave it a few light coats to get some texture back into it.

Here is the finished product

And finally here are a few random shots

Gas filler

Now Diesel

Installed

That is all for right now.