TDIFest 2012, Where will it be?

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
There has been a precedent for the annual TDI festival being held on (or near) Labor Day Weekend in early September because it is also a 3 day weekend for Canadian members.
How the weather in Florida then?

Now, there's absolutely no reason to not work on a bid to have a fest in Florida some other time of year, and mid winter will have a lot of Canuks already in the region.
Successful bids to host the fest take advantage of the assets of the region. Summer in Florida isn't an asset in my book. February in Florida? That's different!

AUGSX

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI 5spd
Sept. is Hurricane season, It's Great.

Late Jan thru early march is definitely were its at.

Lug_Nut

TDI
Late Jan thru early March is definitely were it's at.
And that's also peak hotel rate season....

Risk of really bad weather versus lower venue rates......
More costly site fees versus more agreeable weather.....
See the concern? There are compromises and balances to every proposal.
Successful bid proposals have fewer (or less) detriments, or plans to mitigate them, and more (or greater) benefits.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'd be hard pressed to agree to stand in a hotel parking lot in Florida in August/September. I hate the heat and humidity. And it's brutal there in late summer. Winter time would be great, and it's not peak season for some parts of the state. The Panhandle, for example, has a big summer tourist season. Why that's true escapes me.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Personally, I think Chattanooga, TN would be cool. New VW factory open........

Florida over the President's day/MLK holiday would be very nice!

TDI Stevestr

Veteran Member
TDI
Former 2011 Golf 4 Dr TDI DSG; Looking at the '17 Chevy Colorado
Hmm...

Plotting all the locations of previous fests, it appears that the east coast seems to dominate.

Are the majority of members from the east coast?

I think I'm going to try to form an exploratory committee to push for either Denver or Kansas City. I live in Denver so that would be easier but I've also wanted to see what KC has to offer.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
... the majority of "Active" members are in the East, yes
Actually the majority of Americans (active members or not) are in the east (if you discount California). However, judging by the map a few posts up, the place that seems to have been slighted is the Southwest. If somebody wants to put together a proposition for anyplace in the SW (like LA, San Diego, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Flagstaff, Albuquerque, etc.) I will happily volunteer to help. I really do not have the time to lead the group, but I would be happy to help. I talked my wife into a drive to Lexington this year, because we have family in Cincinnati. I seriously doubt that I can talk her into a drive to Chattanooga next year.

Have Fun!

Don

Lug_Nut

TDI
Please pay attention! This is brought up each year, and it hasn't changed yet.

THE FEST HAPPENS WHERE A GROUP MAKES IT HAPPEN!

It doesn't matter if you own 20 TDI and you have the highest per capita diesel neighborhood in North America.
It doesn't matter where the population density is the greatest.
It doesn't matter that some region hasn't yet had a fest within 2 hours drive of it.
It doesn't matter where more 'active' or 'lurker', or 'trolling', or 'spammer' members may reside.
IT DOESN'T MATTER! None of those are valid reasons for siting a fest.

What DOES matter is that a group puts together a proposal to host a festival where they feel they can do so to the best of their ability and making the most of the local resource.
You want it in Chatt, K.C., Denver, or one of the cities along old Rte. 66? Put together a proposal and make it happen!

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
How many people normally come to the fests? I've been around for a few years, but haven't been able to get to one. It's my fault, but it's usually money and now a kid that keep me from taking time off.

SoKYTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 4-door
NOT Gatlinburg!!

:eek:
Smoky Mountains Gatlinberg Area........
:eek:

IMHO, Gatlinburg already has too much of a severe traffic problem without 3,000,000 extra VWs pulling in, and traffic in Sevierville is almost as bad. I've been there when the ricers were in town (incidental, I was on vacation w/family), and the stop & go is probably almost as bad as the pics you see on the news about LA!

We'd be better served going to Chattanooga, Bristol, TN (NASCAR track there, should be some good places for our purposes) or maybe even Bryson City, NC if there's a good spot. It's been about 20 years since I've been to BC, but it was a nice town back then!

Late Summer/early Fall would be great for a fest in the SW Tennessee area, because we wouldn't be competing w/Helen, GA and the Southern Wörthersee, which isn't that far away.

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Hmmmmm....

Question: Where would I like the 2012 TDIFest?

Answer: Anyplace I can DRIVE to :D

MrVermin

loganbmx4gt

Veteran Member
TDI
97' Passat (1Z), 02' Golf
I vote for Memphis, Tn: Great BBQ and Graceland!
I vote Memphis also! And very possible we could talk to the chamber of commerce to get us to do a display of the vehicles on Beale St.:D Oh how I miss home. And Chattanooga wouldn't be bad either.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Guys, why don't we pick a town with a track? I'm all in favor of all-TDI track day at Sebring or something...

Though what might be more our speed is setting up a half-day autocross... we wouldn't need much more than a large parking lot, cones, etc. Perhaps we could enlist a more experienced (local to the GTG) SCCA group to help organize and provide equipment?

Dynos are fun and all... but wouldn't we like to be along for the ride?

:)

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Maybe near mid-Ohio. Or there are a few great smaller tracks in Michigan (Grattan and Gingerman are two I've been to) that would be great, and we might even be able to get enough people to use it for a day or half-day.

loganbmx4gt

Veteran Member
TDI
That sounds good! Mid-Ohio is a nice track and 45 minutes from the house. And a hop skip and a jump from Cumblowus (Columbus).

loganbmx4gt

Veteran Member
TDI
Just dawned on me, duh! My other home when I'm not in Memphis or Ohio. Nashville! Which has Nashville Speedway, and talking about a city with a TON to do!

Lug_Nut

TDI
Maybe near mid-Ohio. Or there are a few great smaller tracks in Michigan (Grattan and Gingerman are two I've been to) that would be great, and we might even be able to get enough people to use it for a day or half-day.
Utah 2001: Salt Lake City had an SCCA autocross as an optional event. ONE fest attendee participated.
Michigan 2002: Grattan was used in the Michigan fest as an optional event. THREE fest attendees went.
Toronto 2003: Mosport was used at the Toronto fest as an optional event. TWO fest attendees went.

These were events set-up, run, AND INSURED by others. There is no way that a group like TDIClub could afford the financial cost of even a half day event.
There's a reason why the 2004 Boston fest organizers chose to NOT have a driving competition event, and that was historically low turnout at prior events.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I was thinking this, too. TDIs aren't exactly well matched with track events. I know I'm the exception. But coordinating it with an event that's already scheduled by another club might be fun, if it wasn't too difficult.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V

Before anyone gets too excited about renting a track for a day or half day. Somebody should check out prices to rent a track and to buy insurance.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Utah 2001: Salt Lake City had an SCCA autocross as an optional event. ONE fest attendee participated.
Michigan 2002: Grattan was used in the Michigan fest as an optional event. THREE fest attendees went.
Toronto 2003: Mosport was used at the Toronto fest as an optional event. TWO fest attendees went.

These were events set-up, run, AND INSURED by others. There is no way that a group like TDIClub could afford the financial cost of even a half day event.
There's a reason why the 2004 Boston fest organizers chose to NOT have a driving competition event, and that was historically low turnout at prior events.
How many members had highly modified cars in 2001-2003?

How much has the tdiclub fest grown since then?

I am not in favor of having the club organize and pay for something that only 1-3 members participate in. I realize your are being practical here, but when I've attended autocross it's typically $10-$20 to race around cones in a parking lot all day... not too expensive.

A track would be a luxury... but it is not necessarily out of the question. We would simply have to find a track day that has already been organized by a larger club who doesn't mind sharing. :) The Audi car club rents out tracks from time to time and will allow pretty much any car to get involved for a couple hundred bucks.

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDI
How many members had highly modified cars in 2001-2003?

How much has the tdiclub fest grown since then?
1: define 'highly'. Back then most of us were always looking for more. There were fewer (lower percentage) wiling to settle for what VW sold. Search for the video of Gary Miyakawa in his TDI 1/8 mile drag racing Uwe Ross in his VR6 back in 2000 to see what passed for modified TDI back then.
2: the pool of participants in Fred's is greater now, but the ratio of performance enthusiasts to those "good enough for me" members is less now.

I plead nolo contendere to that good enough charge.

loganbmx4gt

Veteran Member
TDI
We need a good location with a GREAT night scene, ie: Memphis or Nashville. My vote anyway. :)

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
It should be darted.
Take a map of the USA, throw a dart. Round to the nearest town with a big enough hotel.

I was staying at a hotel in Macomb, IL. Near middle of nowhere. Almost every hotel was booked for a rock collecting/paleontology "gathering". It was interesting to say the least.

Fest then dumps a ton of money into some local economy. (I'm sure Lexington wouldn't notice or not if there was a Fest). It's rural, somewhere 'new'.

Lug_Nut

TDI
TDI fest as the 'big fish' in a small town local economy...
Nearly every room booked by fest attendees...
Sort of like Lake Mills, Wisconsin?

Lug_Nut

TDI
I vote that Manny arranges all the details for fest 2012.
All in favor?