34mpg for a BEW good?

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
Is 34mpg constantly acceptable or do i should i adjust torsion again?

65/35
city/highway driving

I drive it pretty easy and a few times each tank i drive it hard to clean it out

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Is 34mpg constantly acceptable or do i should i adjust torsion again?
65/35
city/highway driving
I drive it pretty easy and a few times each tank i drive it hard to clean it out
I get 38 city with no a.c. running. If I run a.c., it drops to 35 city. Mine is also an auto...

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
what is your highway mpg? City driving throws all the numbers out the window - prolonged idling (how long?) many starts and stops (how is traffic?) etc. No way to say since the city has too many factors.

slfranke

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf
Wow, here I was somewhat disappointed in my 38mpg in my 2006 Golf manual with probably 50% increase in hp upgrades. I always chalked it up to my enjoying those upgrades so not getting 45mpg like my 98 Jetta. Good to know I'm doing pretty well for a non-stock BEW!

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
Hmm i wonder why im getting so low mpg; i have never been able to get passed 37mpg since i had this golf...i am checking where to even start?!

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Consistent driving for 2 months for me. 42 to 44. 44 if I fill up without biodiesel. Manual bew Jetta wagon. Manual golf noth much different. I worry on my cars if I don't get in the 40's unless towing. Had another golf and Jetta same results with new. Other then hp.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
I don't think I've ever gotten under 40 mpg in my Golf. I've done over 50 a number of times. These days, low to mid 40's.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
yea low 30's is junk. Now your just spending more for nothing. 45 is about middle of the road.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
34 would be Winterized fuel and very extreme cold for my auto Golf. 43 to 44 is what I get in the warmer months with mostly urban driving.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
We should all keep in mind that an auto gets 8-10mpg LESS than a manual connected to an ALH or BEW...

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
Just did a fill up and i averaged 37mpg; I changed airboxes from my other golf as this one had a crack where the snow filter meets it and you could hear a little air escaping...maybe it is helping it?! Ill keep you updated but i would like to see atleast 40+mpg

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
Not a single mention of speed in here huh. Is this highway speeds at 100kmh/60mph at 2000rpm or highway speeds at 130kmh/ 80mph at 3000rpm??? I think the guys getting 50mpg have gotta be doing 10mph slower than the speed limit, I know that’s the only way I’d get close..

My highway mileage can go from 30 to 45 mpg depending how I drive. Isn’t that relevant info in a mileage thread??

Last edited:

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
Alot of my driving is under 65mph and im still barely rounding up at 37mpg; I have yet to find something thats causing this

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
A lot of my driving is 75 and I get 43 all the time on two different bew engines. One stock one with turbo, tune, exhaust. Stoc manual transmission.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Alot of my driving is under 65mph and im still barely rounding up at 37mpg; I have yet to find something thats causing this
Tire pressures checked? I run 35-36 all around.

Brakes dragging at all? Rears sometimes do. Always use parking brake when parked (duh) because it helps adjust the rear brakes.

Extra weight in the boot?

Air and fuel filters replaced when?

Besides torsion setting, have you verified the actual mechanical timing? Cam and crank need to line up with locking tools in place. Only then would I adjust cam torsion to 0.5+ tops.

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
Tire pressures checked? I run 35-36 all around.
Brakes dragging at all? Rears sometimes do. Always use parking brake when parked (duh) because it helps adjust the rear brakes.
Extra weight in the boot?
Air and fuel filters replaced when?
Besides torsion setting, have you verified the actual mechanical timing? Cam and crank need to line up with locking tools in place. Only then would I adjust cam torsion to 0.5+ tops.

I run 40psi in all tires
No brake drag whatsoever and agreed on parking brake
Nope i wear sandals :D
Air filter and fuel filter changed less than 30k miles ago
Yes it all lines up I just checked not long ago

I know torsion is always a little different from each car so should i mess with it and test it out on a full tank? Its at -0.5/-1 now

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I consistently get 52-55 during the summer and 46-49 in the winter. 05 Golf 5spd. I have absolutely no city driving. Mostly 2 lane paved country roads so I rarely get over 65 with 55 or less being the speed limit.

I don’t think I’ve ever gotten below 44mpg in the dead of winter with dragging brakes and a soft tire.

If you’re comfortable adjusting the torsion I’d try +1.0 and see what happens. As has been said repeatedly each car is different. If you’re going to play around under the TB cover make sure nothing falls down into the belt path. I had that happen to me last year and I stripped 8” of teeth off my belt. I think the most likely culprit was a small stone.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=477509&highlight=Finally+timing+belt+event

In case you’d like some light reading.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
Coming back to this, 33.8mpg, hand calculated, in my 2005 Jetta wagon with 09a automatic, 98% city driving (stops every mile, 45mph speed limit) and A/C running for nearly every mile...

I will also note that the same drive in my stage 3 ALH 5spd would return 44mpg...

Last edited:

NTDIPD

TDI
MK4 PD
I have an 04 BEW 5 speed. I can get about 47 MPG highway on the level. I consistently get 38-40 around town (not city). I would say 45-46 highway should be easy for a manual or auto.

My mileage was low one time because the intake tube was leaking, this caused it to run a little rich and clogged up an O2 sensor. Fixed the leaks and cleaned the O2 sensor and its back at 46+ MPG...

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
I think i may have found out the problems (half tank at 320 miles using venteconomy mod)

1) My airbox had a crack by the snowscreen and i bought a new airbox from a junkyard and it sounds better too (i guess it was really sucking air??)

2) My turbo vanes/actuator etc need to be cleaned and adjusted! Problem is i need to use the car a little each day so i need to make time but i know the turbo removal isnt quick and easy!!!

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
My mileage was low one time because the intake tube was leaking, this caused it to run a little rich and clogged up an O2 sensor. Fixed the leaks and cleaned the O2 sensor and its back at 46+ MPG...

I noticed my tandem pump is leaking pretty good; I wipe the oil pan and later that day i get oil drip on the floor; Would the pump leak diesel fuel or mixed fuel with oil?

would a leaky tandem pump cause bad MPG?

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Would the pump leak diesel fuel or mixed fuel with oil? Would a leaky tandem pump cause bad MPG?
The tandem pump has gears but I think the only lubrication is via the diesel fuel circulating. It's been nearly ten years since my PD days...

However, if the internal gasket is bad, the fuel will get into the oil.

And if the tandem pump is failing, the engine will have to work harder to get the required fuel, so it likely would affect fuel economy.

golfere

Veteran Member
TDI
04 golf
Just ordered a new tandem pump! Thats not cheap!!

How hard is it to replace the entire pump? Just 4 bolts and some hoses or do i have to find TDC and lock it down so the camslot doesnt move or??

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
The tandem pump is extremely easy to replace. Remove old, place new on, you're done... pretty tough to screw up.