www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Events, Gatherings, Clubs

Events, Gatherings, Clubs Want to meet other TDI members face to face? Going to a VW Event? Why not try and organize meeting some new faces and putting faces to our usernames? This forum is for organizing meetings and events with other TDI Fans.

Old July 24th, 2018, 09:30   #1
rgoetz
Veteran Member

Default Any old-timers left? (I joined in 1999.)

I joined this site in 1999, just prior to buying a 2000 Golf TDI. There were fewer than 1,000 members when I joined. At the time I lived in Vermont. I was active in this community for a few years, having a few GTGs at my house. In 2001 I move to NJ and I sold the Golf a few years later and my TDI-hood went dormant. I then bought a 2012 JSW TDI, which I will be selling back to VW in the fall, and that will likely be the end of my TDI experience.
Are there any other old-timers still around?
19?? Specialized Sirrus + PATCO high speed line
rgoetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2018, 20:59   #2
RabbitGTI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Don't know. I just feed it and drive.

I'm an old timer, still daily driving a B4 with 321k on it Quit taking it on hwy trips six months ago because of my family telling me it does not have modern safety features. They make a good point Looking at getting a lightly used MK 7 Golf R. Gonna keep the B4 for banging around town, I love that thing.
Old July 24th, 2018, 21:39   #3
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: very good

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgoetz View Post
I then bought a 2012 JSW TDI, which I will be selling back to VW in the fall, and that will likely be the end of my TDI experience.
Are there any other old-timers still around?

Why? Is the car lacking?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2018, 05:41   #4
rgoetz
Veteran Member

I prefer the $ and I don't trust long term reliability after the fix. I will miss it though
Old July 25th, 2018, 05:43   #5
rgoetz
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitGTI View Post
I'm an old timer, still daily driving a B4 with 321k on it Quit taking it on hwy trips six months ago because of my family telling me it does not have modern safety features. They make a good point Looking at getting a lightly used MK 7 Golf R. Gonna keep the B4 for banging around town, I love that thing.
Rarely see a B4 these days - hope you enjoy it for many more years

I really enjoy my GTI. I'm sure you'll have fun with an R

Last edited by rgoetz; July 25th, 2018 at 05:46.
Old July 25th, 2018, 12:26   #6
itsmejerry
Veteran Member

I guess I qualify as an old-timer now. Reading TDI page since the late 90's, and finally got my first TDI in 2002. My 83 (non-tdi) Diesel Rabbit just kept rolling along, so out of respect for the page, I was a lurker rather than a member of the club until I actually had a TDI.

I've seen lots of names come and go, and I admit I have periods of inactivity on this site, but I've always enjoyed the TDI CLUB community. We are a breed of unique people, some geeky in our obsessions whose eyes glaze over as we start reciting our TDI facts to anyone who is unlucky enough to ask "Is that a Diesel?" at a gas pump, to other members somewhat misguided, and a few flat out nut cases.

I can only wonder after the buyback how many people we will actually have on TDI club going forward.

There have been some great discussions on this board, some for enthusiasts like me, others that talked about ECU reprogramming with special codes and perimeters that I had no clue about. Others giving great advice on cleaning your snow screen in the middle of summer. Still, I read the boards with interest, often agreeing, sometimes correcting misconceptions, and watching the great debates go on and on.

I've commented, argued, and I've sold cars for a dealership here on "the club" when my passion turned into a career, and even started a "You know you're obsessed when..." thread that had a boat-load of views before the server replacement that pretty much started old threads view counts over again.

Although I"ve never attended any GTG's or TDIFESTs I have met quite a few TDI club people over the years by chance, many when I worked at 3 different dealerships in 2 states.

In my VW Diesel driving history my cars have included:

a Used 1980 Rabbit shared with my sister as our high-school car.
a used 1983 Rabbit- my very first 'hopefully it will make it through highschool, and maybe college car" that I kept as a daily driver until it was wrecked when I was 31.

A hand-me-down 1989 Jetta Diesel that my father gave me after driving it 602,000 miles, I had it another 2 years, and at 623,000 it met it's end when a buick ran a red light.

A new 2003 Jetta TDI
An inherited 2000 Jetta TDI when we had to take the keys from dad due to declining health.

A VERY USED and neglected 2005 Passat Wagon TDI- with a horrible habit of going into transmission limp mode that I bought from a repair shop just because it was a Passat Wagon. I sold it a few months later.

A 2011 Jetta Sportwagen- (Wife's car. We actually met at my dealership and were married about a year later). Sold back to VW

A used 2013 Jetta Sportwagen- Sold back to VW (hated to, but they offered stupid money, well above anything I could hope to get in private party sales).

As our buyback date approached my wife's worst fear was realized. Life without a TDI. She had become hooked on TDI's on her daily 35 mile highway commute each way to work/home. We prepared to sell our cars back in June of 2017..

Then, when VW's 2015 Stop Sale order was cleared, thus clearing the way to sell their remaining 2015 stock, in May 2017 we found "Little Red" a red Golf Wagon that my wife wanted, and the dealership only had a Passat and Beetle convertible left-- So I leased them for the $8500 credit, and have bought them outright since.

A few months later I spotted a VW Fleet Owned 2015 Passat at a local lot

(https://www.donohooauto.com/used-inv...cetInteracted=)

that had 802 miles on it, and surprised my wife with it. (More like "YOU DID WHAT??!!!-- you're such an IDIOT sometimes!!) So in a house with 2 drivers, we now have 4 2015 TDI's.

I don't plan on having to buy a new car for at least 20 years with my current rotation of 4 cars, by which time I'll be.. wow.. Really old. But nonetheless I'll forever be a TDIClub reader who like many wondered why a true diesel/hybrid was never mass-produced. (Ok, the XL1 sort of qualifies).

I need to lay off the caffeine when I write these kinds of posts. Sorry to write a book. But you know-- I'm obsessed. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=58130 (TDI CLUB-- "You know you're obsessed" link).

Last edited by itsmejerry; July 25th, 2018 at 12:34.
itsmejerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2018, 13:22   #7
Rob Mayercik
Veteran Member

Joined in Dec 2001 shortly after buying my '02, me and the car are both still here...
Old August 12th, 2018, 11:33   #8
Keli_OR
Veteran Member

I joined in '03 after buying my '01 Jetta and haven't looked back since!
I love the information and the camaraderie the club provides. 😁
I guess I'm a diehard since I just purchased a '15 GSW CPO back in December.😨😋
Black '15 Golf Sportwagen SE "Ms.Noir"
Keli_OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2018, 10:25   #9
kiwibru
Veteran Member

Oh yeah, 99er here too. Still have the original 2000 Golf and it has been kept in great shape with new engine, many mods and is a daily driver. Can't beat the level of technology, frozen in time now, but oh so easy to deal with. So many friends and GTG over the years provide a valuable sense of community that this site continues to provide.
Old August 16th, 2018, 10:46   #10
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I keep buying more....
Old August 16th, 2018, 19:32   #11
Lance Allison
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Max 52 Avg 45 Min 42

Though I no longer have a TDI, I still check in here now and then.
Lance Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2018, 18:35   #12
John Beyer
Veteran Member

Joined in 2000. Still have the same TDI's and have added more. Not as active as I used to be. Should be driving the A3 from California (that I converted) for a long time to come.
'03 Jetta TDI,276k
'96 Jetta Gas,125k (Auto to Man Conv)

Last edited by John Beyer; August 27th, 2018 at 08:46.
John Beyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2018, 12:06   #13
tomo366
TDI Lifer

April 97 one of the 1st 100......Though I still have a TDI I don't drive it much.....I drive my 2014 BMW CPO 328D Xdrive. Great car Wife drives the 2015 JETTA SEL TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL Tornado red
2014 BMW 328D XDrive Glacier Silver
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black!
tomo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2018, 06:09   #14
PeterV
TDIClub Enthusiast
HO5G Doyen & Zen Master

8-00 and went to the first Fest and everyone after that too. And still the the same car and it is a 100% Fest attendee.

Did a GTG in Vt at Rgoetz house with Tomo, Lawson and GarrettP.
PeterV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2018, 09:19   #15
Black00Jetta
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51.1/45.2/39.6

Bought my 2000 Jetta and joined in 03. Still check posts periodically to keep up and for information. In the process of replacing the brake booster (more work than anticipated and the booster doesn’t locate properly��). Still happy with Jetta after 17 years and wondering who will last longer!
2000 Jetta GLS TDI 5spd manual, 289k, chipped, Frost heater, metal skid plate, Metalnerd brake tool, ventectomy, VCDS(but need to learn how to use it). Scangauge http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/34449.png
Black00Jetta is offline   Reply With Quote