Stumped by a non working sunroof even after replacing motor and control unit

steadyhand

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '05 GLS TDI
Please help.

I have a 2005 Golf GLS. Sunroof quit working. Manual cranking still works just fine.

So, I purchased a new motor and a now map light/sunroof control module. I installed them both, including a new 20amp fuse in the driver's side door fuse panel.

Even after the new parts, only the manual crank works.

Any thougts/ideas please? Thanks in advance,

Rich​

HornetHandler

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Please help.

I have a 2005 Golf GLS. Sunroof quit working. Manual cranking still works just fine.

So, I purchased a new motor and a now map light/sunroof control module. I installed them both, including a new 20amp fuse in the driver's side door fuse panel.

Even after the new parts, only the manual crank works.

Any thougts/ideas please? Thanks in advance,

Rich

Are you getting power to the motor???

Mack

HornetHandler

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I'll need to purchase a multimeter before I can check for power...

Good investment and a necessity if you plan on doing your own electrical troubleshooting. Fluke make very good quality multimeters. A feature you will not use much, but that does come in handy from time-to-time is the capability to measure current. 10 to 20 amps DC is nice.

http://www.fluke.com/

Ping back once you get it and we'll walk you through the process if necessary.

Mack

Mack

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I spent a lot of time working on a sunroof on a beetle which should be similar. Once you get a meter (or a test light) there should be two power sources - one constant power and the second that is switched with the ignition. I had a broken wire somewhere between the fuse box and the sunroof. I ran a new wire to get it working. The symptoms were no movement other than with the manual crank, but if I held the key in the lock position (to roll up windows), the sunroof would close, but only from the retracted position. If it was tilted up it would not lower using the key.

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
If you open it manually can you close it with the key in the driver's door?

steadyhand

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '05 GLS TDI
you guys are talking about 'manually' opening / closing. how is that accomplished?
Under the sunroof motor cover (square-ish piece near the map lights), there is a funny shaped Allen wrench (crank) that fits into the sunroof motor. Just insert and spin that crank around and the sunroof moves in/out/up.

"If you open it manually can you close it with the key in the driver's door?"

I will check...soon....thanks.

procupine14

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle 5sp

Under the sunroof motor cover (square-ish piece near the map lights), there is a funny shaped Allen wrench (crank) that fits into the sunroof motor. Just insert and spin that crank around and the sunroof moves in/out/up.
Learn something new every day. This sounds like a handy feature that I should know about in case of motor issues :)

steadyhand

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '05 GLS TDI
Learn something new every day. This sounds like a handy feature that I should know about in case of motor issues :)
This works also for when our TDI engines fail; just rip the weak/broken cam shaft out and manually crank the cylinders....good for about 5 mph (on a straightaway - you loose 2 mph on turns)!:D

3800rpmDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wgn 5spd w/ mods, '03 Wgn 5spd stock, '05 Passat Wgn - chainless.
Think I'll throw an allen wrench in the glovebox tonight!!! Who wants to be caught away from home, with an open sunroof and an impending thunder-shower :eek:

what size allen key btw?

steadyhand

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '05 GLS TDI

Didn't work for me. Driver's key in the door does open and close the windows, but does not affect the sunroof, even when I start with it open (manually opened, of course).

It's as though the sunroof has no juice (haven't purchased a multi-meter, yet).....

drew46304

TDI
2002 beetle tdi 145k miles, 02 duramax 280k
sun roof problem

I spent a lot of time working on a sunroof on a beetle which should be similar. Once you get a meter (or a test light) there should be two power sources - one constant power and the second that is switched with the ignition. I had a broken wire somewhere between the fuse box and the sunroof. I ran a new wire to get it working. The symptoms were no movement other than with the manual crank, but if I held the key in the lock position (to roll up windows), the sunroof would close, but only from the retracted position. If it was tilted up it would not lower using the key.
hey gforce. I have almost exactly the same problem you had with this beetle. The only difference is that when i hold the key in lock position in the door, having the sunroof open with crank, it WILL NOT close.........but if i have the back tilted up, using the crank, then the motor will work to pull it down when holding key in lock position. Sounds very similar. I tried this with and without the sunroof control switch attached to the motor with the same results. My thoughts were that maybe i should try replacing the switch first but after reading your post im not sure now. I installed another used motor that i got on ebay for 24 bucks with shipping and got the exact same results.......so im not out much and will have a spare if ever needed. You have any thoughts on this ? ........ or anyone else on here ?

Im new on here.......found this site EXTREMELY helpful a cpl weeks ago when i changed my alternator. Im sure i saved at least a cpl hours by printing someones step by step instructions. Now im just trying to get some of the other nagging things taken care of in my 2002 beetle. Thanks to all for all the valuable infor on here.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Since I have the same car as the OP, I was hoping he would post his outcome from 1.5 years ago.

matt8991

TDI
2006 VW Jetta 1.9 TDI
My sisters sunroof does close with the key in the door, but no other way. Have tried new switch and new motor... Anything to come from the key+door working to close it?
Thanks

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
This is why people should start their own thread and post other threads in their post as links for reference.

icanreachit

TDI
VW Golf TDI
I'm actually in agreement with keeping one thread going as no resolution was ever posted. Any idea which wires should show voltage? I'm experiencing the same issues. I also have a connector with black and white wires that is not connected to anything.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
If you ever get it closed, unplug the connector and never open it again. Problem solved. What a bogus option that VW inflicted on us.

Mana_Ha

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I solved my sunroof issues when i replaced my CCM, it had gotten waterlogged then frozen. caused all sorts of odd gremlins on the car.