bad amplified antenna(2003 Jetta), or WHY I LOVE T

spanky1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2012, platinum grey(6-spd manual)
My 2003 GLS Jetta just hit the 50,000 mark last week. I had continually bragged about the car's reliability, I had NEVER had it back to the dealership for any problems. The day before the warranty ran out, I scheduled to take it to my dealership to look at a recall for the door latch, and anything else that I could think of while it was still free.

My only items to check were:
1) a suspension type squeak when the car slowly "twisted" over an uneven surface..(slowly through a parking lot for example). Of course they had no idea and could replicate it.

2) A popping drivers seat. They ordered the part, so it'll be fixed soon.

Here's the kicker: 2 days after it runs out of warranty, the am reception completely dies...not slowly, but suddenly. FM isn't terrible, but it's not exactly right.

I was sure that I had a bad tuner section of my Monsoon radio. I was already looking on ebay for a replacement head unit, when I decided to look at this forum. I searched and found a few threads where others had my exact symptoms. Sure enough, the amplified antenna is a primary suspect.

I called my dealer, and of course they said they've never heard any complaints about this. From an earlier recommendation on this forum, I looked at antenna world. Looks like I can get the base only....if I can figure out if I need Fuba model #1728 or #1729. Any help?

Thanks again to this site for savinig me from buying a replacement Monsoon head unit, only to have the same problem.

Michael H.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Check the classified section here!! Mycruiseagent in Connecticut has a group-buy on replacement antennas @ $30 (plus shipping...)

If he ran out, you can try www.worldimpex.com the part number is 1J0035505E ($54.54 was the last price I saw...)

It's not that difficult to replace...

Yuri.

spanky1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2012, platinum grey(6-spd manual)
Great news for me. I finally got the 2 screws out of mine. No oxidation at all. I was very pleased to find that the lead wire(that goes over the top of the circuit board) had come loose. I resoldered it, and I think it's as good as new.

I have yet to remount the antenna, so I know that the reception will be much better than it currently is with the antenna dangling from rear of the headliner.

I absolutely hate trying to remount the antenna. The nut seems like it's gonna be toought to get started onto the threads with the limited working room. It's almost impossible to not crease the liner somewhat.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
I found that if I remove the "whip" from the antenna, push the base into its square hole, and put something heavy over it to keep it in place, it's not that difficult to get the nut started... Of course, I've got a wagon...

Yuri.

frerk

TDI
2000 Jetta
There wasnt any apparent oxidation in mine either and it still was the problem. I ordered the base unit only (1728BASE) from antenna world for $28 + s/h and my reception is back to normal. Their description says its an almost exact replacement, however mine has VW/Audi markings on it so I think it may actually be an exact replacement. No reason to buy the whole antenna unit when all you need is the base.

Reidler

Veteran Member
TDI
NB 2001, Black
Mine had no corrosion either, but it turned out to be the ground between the base and the circuit board. I soldered a wire betwen the two and Presto! the reception came right back! Cost = free

JetWag03

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Baltic Green
frerk, you rock! Thanks for the heads up on Antenna World. I had completely lost AM, and FM was getting weak. One new 1728BASE and ten minute's work later, I have my radio back.

Of course, I'm annoyed that the OEM failed after only two years, and yes, I could have taken it to the stealership for warranty repair, but for $36 (base + s&h) it was worth avoiding the hassle.

Here's hoping the aftermarket version, which appears to be better sealed, lasts longer!

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Hmm, I have no AM or FM. I recently replaced the antenna and base from the MCA GB with no love. Have not taken the old one apart nor did I disassemble the brand new one to see if there was a loose connection inside of it

The question is how much radio reception do I get?
and the answer is none. none radio reception.

ya'll got any clues?

JetWag03

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Baltic Green
If your brand new antenna base is indeed good, which should be a reasonable assumption, and if the CD/tape player are working all right, then I would suspect the coaxial cable. They can be damaged by getting pinched.

First, make sure the darn thing is plugged in at both ends
If that is not the problem, then you can test it with a continuity checker.

UNplug both ends, and see if there is continuity between the center conductor and the outer shield. There should be none. If that is good, check continuity from end to end. You will probably need a friend and a long piece of wire. Check that there IS continuity from shield to shield, and from center to center.

If the coax seems good, then maybe try removing the antenna from your car and plugging it into someone else's radio to see if the base is bad.

HTH

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
To check for a bad connection with your antenna, press and hold the "Mix" button on your radio. This will put it in service mode. Press the Mix button to cycle through the options. One of them will show "Antenna: On", or at least it should.