Done with VW. Part out car?

RV9Factory

TDI
2006 Jetta
I am so tired of dealing with my '06 Jetta. It has been one thing after another. The latest is a crazy electrical issue that throws the car into limp (or just kills it) with undervolt warnings on multiple components. Tach and speedo go to zero with oil and stability lights flashing. My mechanic has had it for 6 weeks and doesn't know what's going on, though I doubt he has tried very hard.

I want to ditch this thing and buy a damn Honda.

I'm thinking about parting it out but not sure if it makes sense. Would like some feedback.

Mechanically, the car is GREAT. 180k(ish) miles with a Darkside turbo and billet camshaft and nitride lifters, both with fewer than 4k miles. 505.01 oil always. It screams until the electrical hits.

DSG is good too. All fluid changes done.

Interior in excellent shape except some leatherette cracking near back left pocket on driver's seat.

Michelin MXM4s with less than $3k miles.

VCDS wireless. Flashzilla. Stage 4 Malone tune.

Any idea what I might get by parting it out? It's got to be more than just selling it.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
I suggest that you review Oilhammer's posts pertaining to engine harness issues, as replacing defective engine harnesses seems to cure electrical gremlins.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Finally someone listened to me and getting a Honda :D
Just sell it as-is, why would you want the headache of parting it?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Let some one else figure out those electrical gremlins. A rust free Texas car is a good find.

Besides I’ve read repeatedly on here that the 06 grounds under the battery tray are very problematic and need to be cleaned and tightened. Which could be all it is.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Sell the car as is, let someone who is able to fix it and keep it back on the road.

Sounds like a simple ground problem to me.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Besides I’ve read repeatedly on here that the 06 grounds under the battery tray are very problematic and need to be cleaned and tightened. Which could be all it is.
+1. Actually, the ground is under the airbox and you need to remove the airbox to find it. The ground is a major chassis and electric steering ground and the factory nut on it is an acorn nut just like the negative battery chassis ground nut.

On my car that ground (under the airbox) had worked loose twice and the second time I got a new steel lock nut and it hasn't worked loose since.

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
My mechanic has had it for 6 weeks and doesn't know what's going on, though I doubt he has tried very hard.
A lot of VW's bad rap is because of people that don't have a clue about working on them. Find a real mechanic. Not really the cars fault.

What ever you do, don't take it to a dealer unless you want to pay them to replace a wheel barrel full of perfectly good parts before the actually stumble on the problem.

Last edited:

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
You guys keep talking about ground, but mine is clean as a whistle. I'm not in TX either. I keep telling people, if you don't work on cars, don't buy a VW.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
You guys keep talking about ground, but mine is clean as a whistle. I'm not in TX either. I keep telling people, if you don't work on cars, don't buy a VW.

The original poster is in Dallas. I assume that’s Texas, although there is a Dallas pa.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
What does your car being "clean as whistle" have to do we flakey grounds?

FYI most people don't work on cars and some people that do should not be allowed under the hood. If you have ever cleaned up someones FUBAR, you will understand the last part.