www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old July 25th, 2011, 14:32   #946
German_1er_diesel
Veteran Member

TDI(s): BMW 118d

BMW got rid of the V8 diesel. Mercedes got rid of their V8 diesel. I'm pretty sure Audi will follow.
Old July 25th, 2011, 14:40   #947
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

Yes, a couple of outlets picked the story up (don't have links on hand, sorry). To be replaced by 2-stage turbocharged V6 TDI with 313 PS (current V8 has 326; V10 had the same ~310 and is definitely already dead). The V12 TDI also does not have a future home.

Judging by the success of the gasoline R5 T-FSI engines powering the TT-RS, (R)S3 and Quattro Coupe concept, I still think there would be a place for an R5 TDI to bridge the R4 and V6.

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 14:53   #948
German_1er_diesel
Veteran Member

Apparently Volkswagen doesn't think so. T5 lost the R5, now the Crafter...
Audi should have a R5 TDI. That's how the whole TDI thing started IIRC, and the sound of Volvo's modern diesel I5s is really interesting without being annoying.
Old July 25th, 2011, 14:56   #949
German_1er_diesel
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIMeister View Post
Yes, a couple of outlets picked the story up (don't have links on hand, sorry). To be replaced by 2-stage turbocharged V6 TDI with 313 PS
Here is a first drive report.
http://www.autobild.de/artikel/audi-...t-1861411.html

0-62 in 5.3 seconds, and according to the article it sounds like a gas V8.
Old July 25th, 2011, 14:57   #950
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

VW hasn't had the history of making the best decisions, has it? Later!

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2011, 15:12   #951
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

Current V8 actually has 345... wonder if there'd be a 2-stage V8 for something fun like an R8 diesel, shared with something like an S8 or RS6 diesel?

The V12 not having a home doesn't surprise me, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
The really cool ToofTek made "Emperor's Clothes" injector fork risers only worked until someone pointed out that there wasn't any thing there.
bhtooefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 00:06   #952
oxford_guy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf '11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sappington View Post
Ditto here, too. I guess VW thinks the JSW and Passat Wagon are too similar to justify offering both.
Bring back the Lupo 3L.

That's different!

I wonder when we'll get a subforum for the new Passat in the model-specific discussion area...
Old July 26th, 2011, 08:48   #953
abctdi
Veteran Member

Maybe after more than a few are sold to members?
05 Passat GLS 2.0 PD, UnChained & Steel GPs by VW, 15" steelies, New TB/WP, motor mounts, alt pulley, trans filter, cv boots, TSB #P9/66C8, clear bra & tint, both raxles. Now only driven 1-2 times per week. 123k miles (sold)

DD is a 2012 Kia Optima SX turbo with 274 hp and 269lb-ft@1,750-4,500rpm
abctdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 19:36   #954
securityguy
Veteran Member

Figure around mid to late September since I was told that's when they'll be shipping. I am in Wisconsin on business and there is a VW dealer right down the street. Stopped in and took the TDI for a drive...WOW!!! That is one nice car!

The DSG was silky smooth and the power was more than I expected. The wife needs to drive this car and maybe I'll be the one to start the threads

I just wish it had the back-up camera Dealer stated that it would have had it if it wasn't for the quake in Japan as that's where the cameras come from. What a bummer but I don't plan on waiting until 2013 to get a backup camera
Old July 26th, 2011, 19:51   #955
99Jet
Veteran Member

TDI(s): n/a

My dealer told me that my build date is the last week of August and that I can expect it ~2 weeks later.

The reviews look promising and I look forward to getting it!
Old July 26th, 2011, 21:06   #956
Derrel H Green
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Check my Fuelly
Thumbs up Now You're Talking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by securityguy View Post
Figure around mid to late September since I was told that's when they'll be shipping.
I am in Wisconsin on business and there is a VW dealer right down the street.
Stopped in and took the TDI for a drive . . . WOW!!! That is one nice car!

The DSG was silky smooth and the power was more than I expected.
The wife needs to drive this car and maybe I'll be the one to start the threads

I just wish it had the back-up camera Dealer stated that it would have had it if it wasn't
for the quake in Japan as that's where the cameras come from.
What a bummer but I don't plan on waiting until 2013 to get a backup camera

I just knew that's the way it would be.

Last night at our regular Monday night GTG in Ontario California, one of our group is a salesman
at a nearby dealership and he brought the new demo Passat 2.5 SE with him.
A very nice car to be sure. Last Monday, a week ago, he brought a loaded TDI ($33K SEL)
but I was not yet strong enough after my OHS to make the 100 mile RT to Ontario, so I
missed that opportunity, but I heard from everyone last night.
The salesman said he got over 43 MPG coming up to the gathering.
Everyone got to test-drive it and no one had anything bad to say about the TDI.
The TDI was a fully loaded SEL with about as high a sticker as can be.
I knew I should have forced myself to attend last week. Always a day late and a dollar short!

Recall I said that the DSGs had changed. I think your wife is going to love it, and I predict
that VW is going to sell many of them. What's not to like?
I cannot believe the legroom in the back seat. Now, IF only they would do a wagon!
Oh well . . . maybe before long? I certainly hope so!

D
Dynoed 12-01-12 211 HP, 386 ft/lb torque at the wheels.
View my MBZ E-320 CDI Fuelly: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/derrelhgreen/E320
Compare our previous VW TDI JSW DSG Fuelly : http://www.fuelly.com/driver/derrelhgreen/Jetta
Derrel H Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 01:29   #957
oxford_guy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf '11

I test drove the gas SE and the diesel SEL:

Highlights:

Very solid feel in general, including when driving. Build quality seems to be high. Soaks up bumps well, particularly with the 17" wheels.

Road noise is well dampened. I was expecting more, but I haven't been test-driving luxury vehicles which may be quieter.

Gasoline model's engine is quite quiet. I was expecting a "coarse unrefined" sound since that's what CR said about the 2.5 5 cylinder before. I'm not sure what they mean when they say it's coarse or unrefined, frankly.

The gasoline engine with automatic transmission offers a smooth ride.

The DSG shifts smoothly. There was no annoying lurching feeling when slowing down and upshifts were especially seamless. The experience is not as smooth as the gas/automatic, but it's certainly acceptable.

There is more than enough legroom for the driver, I'd say. Lots of it. Good legroom in the back.

Cupholders in the back are a nice touch.

The vinyl seats were just as comfortable as the leather seats.

Dual climate controls seem like a nice idea. I like the digital temp indicators.

Lowlights:

Noisy air conditioning fans. They don't seem to be very efficient. They make a lot of noise versus the amount of air they move, and it will take a high setting to get air to the back seats when the car is hot. There are no rear vents, apparently.

Fender premium audio was unimpressive. The Golf/Tiguan Dynaudio is much much better.

18" wheels cause road imperfections/surface texture to be felt constantly. The 17" wheels on the SE didn't. However, the vehicle did seem to absorb impacts well.

Mandatory sunroof for DSG TDI models.

Headroom may be an issue for tall men (6'4"+) -- especially those with long torsos, and especially if they prefer to keep their seats mostly upright.

Minor quibbles:

The analog clock should be replaced with a digital LED clock. It seems low-rent.

The suede seat centers (inserts?) on the leather trim make the seats look worn.

The steering wheel controls aren't especially intuitive.

Wood accents don't really add to the interior. In fact, I prefer the plain aluminum.

The paint selection is underwhelming. I'd like an emerald green. How many versions of gray do we really need?

The front fascia isn't particularly suave. I think cars should have smoother lines.

Location of dash info readout is slightly distracting, since it's in the center, between the tach and the speedometer. For drivers of manuals, I think it would be better to have the tach and speedometer closer together.

Touch screen radio is somewhat annoying to deal with when driving. The track forward/backward buttons for the CD are small and seem slightly flimsy.

Gas vs. diesel:

Diesel engine is louder than the gasoline engine inside the car. Gasoline engine gets inferior mileage.

Gasoline model doesn't come with HPFP worries, but will depreciate faster.

---------

Overall, I don't think the extras over the SE trim are very compelling: KESSY wasn't as much of a bonus as I thought it would be, not interested in sunroof, Fender audio nothing special, leather seating not a significant improvement in comfort, wood accents I can do without, navigation is nice but not critical, and definitely prefer 17" wheels.

In short, I think the SE trim is the best value, whether it's in gas or TDI/manual. For those who want a sunroof or DSG, then, of course, move up an options level.

I am impressed with the Passat. I think it's a good value. I just wish it would be a bit more appealing on the outside. (Of course, I like the Lupo 3L's styling, so my taste is far from the typical aggressiveness of contemporary design.) The driving experience, though, is very good. I will recommend this car to others.

Things VW could do to make the car even better:

1. Smooth out the fascia/front and make it less aggressive so the car looks more luxurious. I know this is the opposite of current trends, but it's how I feel. I don't care for the angularity of the new Jetta and Passat.

2. Replace one of the grays with a metallic green.

3. Offer the TDI SE with DSG.

4. Replace Fender with Dynaudio (for next year's model).

5. Change the climate unit's fans to move more air with less noise. If possible, find a way to offer vents for the back seat.

6. Give buyers the option to replace the 18" wheels with 17" wheels at the dealership for the SEL trim.

7. Lose the analog clock and wood accents.
Old July 27th, 2011, 07:12   #958
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

The analog clock is supposed to give it a "more luxurious air"

It's just a clock and there should be one in the mfd display and probably the radio display. How many do we need?
Old July 27th, 2011, 08:57   #959
Sappington
Veteran Member

I had a dream last night that I was driving a Passat Wagon TDI around. I wonder what that means?

To get the message across, maybe people should start going into the dealerships, ask to test drive a Passat WAGON TDI, and when they say there aren't any, but you can drive the JSW or Passat sedan instead, simply say that's not what you're looking for and walk out.

Sold my 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
Sappington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 09:09   #960
aja8888
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Out of TDI's
Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sappington View Post
I had a dream last night that I was driving a Passat Wagon TDI around. I wonder what that means?
1. Could be you may move to Europe in the near future?

2. You may find a 2004 - 05 Passat TDI wagon and experience the same amount of pain us current owners have?

3. It really was an old Dodge Durango and you had not stopped for fuel yet?

4. It really is a dream and it won't come true.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote