Long term reliability DSG + Stg 2 tune

alcook59

TDI
2014 JSW
I’m back in the market for a TDI JSW and I’m really on the fence about the DSG. My last car with a Malone stg 2 was a manual and now that I’m in SoCal I would really like a auto. I’m easy in my vehicles, but I question the long term reliability of the DSG with a stg 2 from Malone. I know I would need a TCU tune, but how long will these hold? Any help would be appreciated. I’ve searched and still ha e mixed feelings.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
The DSG's will last until they break. And once they break, the cost for repair is just stupid nose bleed expensive compared to a manual tranny. DO NOT get a JSW with a Pano sunroof unless you love spending thousand$ on sunroof maintenance once you are out of warranty.

Last edited:

alcook59

TDI
2014 JSW
Wow... I was wanting one with a pano sunroof. What fails on them? Thanks for the advice, I think I’ll be getting a manual... no pano roof.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
From what I have seen. The drains always plug up which aren’t the easiest to clear. The tracks seem to gum up and not open right. Plus the shade gets all messed up and won’t stay in track.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
DSG is stronger than the manual. Pretty solid compared to the latest 02Q you want to buy lol
nailed it

I've been beating on a big turbo DSG for over a year now. Only thing broke was my patience with stage 4 stock dpf testing, wanted more power lol.

DSG clutches are reasonably priced and easier to replace than a manual if you have the tools. Other than a couple high mileage cars (out of hundreds) that may have been a QC issue or always riding the clutch in city use, I haven't had anyone mention having to replace them. Have had way more manual clutches go and the transmission won't take nearly as much abuse.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Well sure. But how expensive is a DSG when it fails when it eventually will? I have no inclination to have a tranny in my car that when it fails will cost thousand of $ to repair when it fails.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Are we talking 10, 15, or 20 years from now? It seems likely by the time any of our DSGs start failing they'll be a dime a dozen in the local pick and pulls. Also by that time it's more likely to make sense to sell it to someone who enjoys that kind of restoration of a car that old and buy a newer model or another similar year that's working great.

The pano roofed issues seem overblown in that regular, preventive maintenance would resolve the listed concerns. Whether people crawl up to their panos and lube the tracks and check for play and clean the water pathways is one thing, but it's in the maintenance schedule. Of far more concern to me as a daily driver versus the dreaded what if, is that if you get a non-pano car you're stuck in an S.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Except that when the Pano fails, It just plain old cost $thousands of dollars to repair. I guess you could do the plastic wrap thing and never open it if it happens to fail in the closed position. There is no "preventative maintenance" that will prevent a pano roof from failing. They are just plain old engineering garbage.

With a non Pano roof, you are "stuck" with a roof that will not cost you $thousands to repair when, not if it fails.

DSG? Way to complex to repair cheaply when it does fails. As your car ages, how many roadworthy DSG's will be available in the scrap yards? I guess you could buy 10 scrap yard DSG's and hope to find one that is roadworthy.

Sorry bizzle, I think you are trying to justify some poor purchase decisions you have made (DSG and Pano).
. Of far more concern to me as a daily driver versus the dreaded what if, is that if you get a non-pano car you're stuck in an S.
What in the world are you talking about? What does being stuck in an "S" mean? I can think of absolutely no downside to not having a car with a ridiculous Pano roof.

Last edited:

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Pano sunroof just were cheaply done and are unpredictable. As for DSG I love mine. They are literally automated manuals. So if the trans goes just put another used one in. They seem to work well and are durable. With anything though some may have weak points but all in all I like the DSG.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
DSG? Way to complex to repair cheaply when it does fail. As your car ages, how many roadworthy DSG's will be available in the scrap yards? I guess you could buy 10 scrap yard DSG's and hope to find one that is roadworthy.

Sorry bizzle, I think you are trying to justify some poor purchase decisions you have made (DSG and Pano).

Rattler your attitude for anything you have never known or experienced is not very helpful. Your just anti-everything that you don't have and won't have because you think it's bad. How many DSG failures that have cost the owner great trauma and expense have been recorded on this site? And how do you know that the wrecking yards are full of unroadworthy DSG transmissions? Again I ask.......personal experience or just a generally negative attitude?

Last edited:

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
What in the world are you talking about? What does being stuck in an "S" mean? I can think of absolutely no downside to not having a car with a ridiculous Pano roof.
As far as I know one can't buy an SEL slicktop.

Maybe I'm wrong about that. I didn't look very hard because I don't care. If there is one out there, the premium price tag of the "rare" (base) option will be like the manuals out there (also base option)--more than the cost of these alleged repairs :rolleyes:

I've been here long enough to know the risks. My 2012 JSW made it to 130K miles without a single issue. Gummed tracks? Clean and lubricate them before that happens. Plugged drains? Keep them clean. Saying those two issues (the only two raised in the thread so far) can't be remediated with proper maintenance is fear-mongering.

As for plastic wrapping one's roof, a bead of silicon worked well enough in the 90's Subaru with a leaky sunroof. I suffered from the 80's until about 5 years ago with my BMW's convertible top that leaked from the factory, but I moved to the desert rather than giving up God's Chariot :D

I've got a boss like most everyone else and the boss said if I wanted a daddy wagon instead of a CUV she wanted a DSG. Whatever, my bug has a stick and that's where I throw my money for cheap power. Back when I bought my ALH there were people advocating for manual windows for the same reasons you're espousing here. I'm at 225K and I've had to replace a switch that was about $50 bucks and a regulator that was $90ish...guess I ended up paying about $1 per month to save myself the hassle of cranking windows up and down like it's 1999. :eek:

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Well this thread might take an unexpected turn...
Not Really some of the advice from this discussion is not factual some is just unsubstantiated opinion. To believe everything voiced here is bad science, take it all with a grain of salt:D

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Everyone that has commented about my attitude/opinion is correct. My opinion is nothing more than that. An opinion. Truly, I would love to have a DSG. The idea of being able to shift in milliseconds is very intriguing. And from what I have read, there is some reliability to the DSG.

As for the Pano sunroof, I'm going to 100% stand behind my opinion. Pano sunroofs are total garbage.

We should keep this thread on a positive note so that anyone that visits here can get an accurate outlook of our opinions. I would add that anything I post is nothing more than my opinion, right or wrong.

Last edited:

mercdude

TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6SPD
I agree that the dsg is a very cool auto that makes having a machine shift for you a pleasure. Truly an auto manual trans - best of both worlds. But they are a lot more complicated than a manual which any Tom dick or Harry clutch shop can fix. Realistically the dsg is probably dealer service only unless you know of a very good high tech trans shop (I don’t). They both come with dmf so no benefit there but again for the 300-400k haul the simpler the better only because it’s easier to fix WHEN it breaks. In that vane, sunroofs are a problem (in every vehicle) period. Seals, track, drain tubes, switches go bad. At best (at some point) they stop working/need maintenance at worst they flood your interior (speaking from personal experience). When I bought my jsw base I specifically avoided the pano roof and the salesman agreed with me - nightmare long term. But like anything if you stay on top of it I’m sure it’ll be fine. For the rest of us, I got other stuff to do than fuss with a damn sunroof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
they are a lot more complicated than a manual which any Tom dick or Harry clutch shop can fix. Realistically the dsg is probably dealer service only unless you know of a very good high tech trans shop (I don’t). They both come with dmf so no benefit there but again for the 300-400k haul the simpler the better only because it’s easier to fix WHEN it breaks
I'm not sure why you think this. The clutch pack is simple to replace and relatively inexpensive. Any basic shop can do it. Owners can do it themselves. You take the pump shaft out, remove some circlips, then slip the old pack out and the new one in.

The list price at the dealer is $850, iirc, but here's one you can customize for less or more depending: https://www.sspperformance.com/vw-a...-audi-dq250-clutch-core-exchange-program.html

That's close in price to my manual Stage2 SBC kit I put in my '98. Here's the manual kit for the CRs we're talking about: https://www.tunemyeuro.com/cr-tdi-stage-2-performance-dmf-clutch-kit-by-south-bend/ ($700).

A mechatronic unit is $860: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine...MImZOC8_zA4AIVEMpkCh1dRwnnEAQYASABEgJGRfD_BwE

The reason you don't see a lot of discussion about the time and cost of fixing DSG transmissions is because impactful wear and failure are relatively rare, not because they are too complex or expensive to service.

If you are talking about internal failure, like synchro replacement, no one is going to be able to do that type of repair cost effectively compared to replacement on a manual, either, and that's assuming the tools, parts, and training are even available. It will absolutely require specialized tooling, knowledge, and parts to work on the internals of a modern VW manual transmission that no Tom, Dick, or Harry Clutch Shop will be able to perform. That same shop will be able to do a basic clutch replacement, but then again they'd also be qualified to do a DSG clutch pack replacement for about the same time and cost.

The practical implications are that a manual's internals are more likely to wear out than a DSG's internals (although both should be relatively rare events due to abuse) and when they do wear out the DSG replacement is going to be easier to source in the aftermarket (consider how few manuals already exist and how few are going to trickle down into the yards over the next decade or two). As of today, you'll pay more money for a base option when the manual transmissions have a lower list price than DSGs simply because of market supply and demand. That's poor economy of choice, in my opinion.

I definitely didn't want a pano roof. I live in the desert in one of the, if not the, hottest place in the world. I'm not worried about water intrusion, but I do have to deal with the sun and heat. Yet, like I said, it's not realistic to base buying choices on one aspect of a vehicle in a vacuum. These vehicles are sold as packages. If I want a slicktop, I have to accept other things about the vehicle that merit consideration. I never said that the only right choice was to buy a pano roof because the only right choice was to drive an SEL. Instead, I'm pointing out it's not fair to frame the discussion as pano vs. slicktop and leave out the other factors that might play into that discussion.

For example, I paid $12K out the door for my 2015 SEL DSG GSW. I'd rather budget $2k for a pano repair in ten years than spend $14K for a slicktop S trim. I think people are going to be driven more by the difference between a manual and a DSG than a pano vs. a slicktop. I think the way it gets conflated in these conversations is that most manuals are going to be in an S trim and those don't have panos. That's the best of both worlds for a customer like ol rattler, but it's not really reflective of what the average customer wants. It's complicated even further by that being, at list, the most basic model and lowest priced vehicle on the lot but can actually be priced above higher trim levels in a used car context due to market conditions.

If you want a higher trim than S, you'll end up with a pano. You might or might not be able to find a manual, though. Once you get into the range of a manual SEL, you will have to be a very motivated buyer because the price tag is going to rival a brand new car. You have to compare that to an Alltrack, for example, or a Hyundai or Mazda, etc. And as you certainly know, the more motivated a buyer you are, the more the price tag goes up.

The bottom line in regards to this thread, though, is that DSGs are purported to be reliable and when they do fail (as all things do eventually) they aren't much more expensive or labor intensive to fix than the things that can reasonably be fixed on a manual transmission. The only difference between the two in terms of cost would be the mechatronic unit so that should be calculated into the long-term cost calculations and negotiated appropriately if it's of concern to you as a buyer.

Last edited:

mercdude

TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6SPD
Well you must be at the next level of mechanical ability because even though I’ve been wrenching on cars for 25 years I don’t have the confidence or setup to tear out and split apart a transmission. Fwd Manual trans, maybe but auto double clutch? No way. When I’ve talked to trans shops they normally just avoid working on euro autos period and refer he customer to the dealership.

I suppose an alternative future may develop along the lines of crate dsg’s which would make sense for many places. But for funzies, I’ll give the only trans shop in my city that is confident enough to replace a tdi dmf/clutch a call and ask what they’d charge for a dsg clutch overhaul. I’ll report back in a few days

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Well you must be at the next level of mechanical ability because even though I’ve been wrenching on cars for 25 years I don’t have the confidence or setup to tear out and split apart a transmission. Fwd Manual trans, maybe but auto double clutch? No way. When I’ve talked to trans shops they normally just avoid working on euro autos period and refer he customer to the dealership.
The transmission doesn't need to be slit apart in order to change the clutch pack because it's bolted to the front of the transmission just like the clutch on the plain ol' standard transmission that you have in mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga_4y7thB8w

I guess if you must analogize to an auto, we'd be talking about a torque converter. Main difference being that a torque converter is permanently attached to the engine whereas a DSG is not (which is where the "lag" comes from when lifelong manual drivers stomp on the go pedal and expect immediately response like an auto).

Please do call that trans shop and also ask them how much to repair the syncros in a 2015 VW TDI manual transmission. I bet they tell you they can't do it or if they're wiling to try the cost will make you spin.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Bizzle is right. These transmissions aren’t as crazy and people think. Clutches are easier to change verses a standard trans. The flywheel is about the same. As for internally they are just like manuals seeing as they are manuals. There is a mechtronic system on the side that selects and deselects the gears.

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Dsg does everything better. They reached a level of performance unimaginable for the manual transmission. Almost 20 years on the market now so i would not worry for your underpowered 2.0 cr tbh.
Golf R doing 600hp and 650nm on it without issues. 100-200 in 5.x seconds and you worry about 200hp and 450nm?
Parts are available cheap everywhere if needed.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

da.hs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf, DSG, silver (from new). 2010 Audi Q7 (from 2016), 2004 Touareg V10 (from 2018)
My Golf had Malone stage 2 with DSG tune done in Jan 2014 - DSG still healthy. No maintenance except routine fluid change on schedule.

alcook59

TDI
2014 JSW
Bizzle, I wanted to say thanks for your input. I went out and picked up this 14 JSW with 35k on the ticker, a DSG, and even a pano roof. It’s a CPO so it has two years to leak or break. Honestly if I have to spend a few grand to fix the DSG in a few years I don’t care, it shifts so flawlessly I fell in love with it. I even bought my wife a 17 Jetta 1.4t at the same visit.
I work for a large performance parts manufacturer so I have enough connections at euro shops to get this thing fixed without paying full boat pricing. I actually spend 2-3 weeks a month traveling to performance shops and I don’t really want to row gears in LA traffic, getting too old for that. Thanks for the input everyone. I’ll keep you updated on longevity.
[/URL][/IMG]

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice, gratz! I didn't even notice you were in North County. There's another new wagon owner from Murrieta going to school at CSUSM and another up in OC. We're going to need to have a wagon GTG soon enough :)

I'm not ready to tune my wagon yet until my warranty is up, but I am thinking about getting the DSG tune in the meantime. If you are going to do a DSG tune and can either get some better pricing or us doing it as a group getting some discounted pricing, I'm interested in talking to you about it. I live nearby.

Last edited:

da.hs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf, DSG, silver (from new). 2010 Audi Q7 (from 2016), 2004 Touareg V10 (from 2018)
Did you also get the DSG tune when you got the malone stage 2?

Yes. This added a little effort as the programming device was mailed around Canada from Malone dealer to dealer and failed to turn up on the day I drove there. Snowfall in Atlantic Canada was the excuse, possibly genuine. I don't know if it's still the case or if the programming devices are more common.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
Last I checked, they can send it out to you with a hefty deposit. I'm not sure how they handle tunes on multiple cars, though; if it can be updated via web or whatnot for the next VIN tune, but it does look like it can sent directly to the customer.

mercdude

TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6SPD
Bizzle is right. These transmissions aren’t as crazy and people think. Clutches are easier to change verses a standard trans. The flywheel is about the same. As for internally they are just like manuals seeing as they are manuals. There is a mechtronic system on the side that selects and deselects the gears.

Just talked to a shop in my area this morning - they won’t touch a dsg and only refer out to the dealership. Along with that, he doesn’t know a shop that will work on a dsg either. And then he expressed sincere sorrow for anyone with a dsg (vag or other). He opined that even the dealership would probably just replace rather than service. Mind you this is a major metro area on the west coast, with a shop that specializes in manual trans.

Maybe a dsg is easier to work on than another trans, I really can’t say because I have no mechanical experience with a dsg. But I can say I don’t know of a shop that would even replace a dsg clutch/flywheel let alone service the internal of one.