20,000 mi service = 400??

subdvr99

TDI
2006 BRM (Sold)
My local dealer quoted me $400 for my 20K service (I think others here have had the same experience). The service manager said it included oil and filter change, tire rotation, inspection, fluids topoff, brake flush, and LABOR (94/hr). All of this but the brake flush are in the maintenance schedule, and the schedule also includes fuel filter change, which they didn't mention.

I just ordered all filters and 5L 505.01 oil from tdiparts.com for about $100. No soup for you, stealership!

I think I can handle this service myself. I'm still pretty steamed...:mad:

--Mark

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
brake fluid flush is every 2 yrs regardless of mileage.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
Did you go to Impexfest last Saturday? You could have done all that there for only the cost of supplies (preferably bought from Worldimpex ;)

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
20K is 3 filters: oil, fuel and cabin/pollen
brake flush? how long do you drive this car: 2 years?

Vipervnm

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 1
Yeah, no point in paying someone else (who you can't really even trust) to do work you can do yourself. I paid about $35 for all 3 OEM filters ($7 for oil, $15 for fuel, and $13 for cabin). Thank you Worldpac!

FlyA320

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
If you do the 20K service yourself, or if you have a shop other than a VW dealer do it, will VW try to deny a warrenty claim should something happen later?

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
not if you keep your receipts and show them the date and mileage of each service.

Jason D

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Graphite Blue 5 speed
You think $94 per hour is bad? I've seen $134/hr in St. Louis. Over $2/minute? Damn!

subdvr99

TDI
2006 BRM (Sold)
maloosheck said:
20K is 3 filters: oil, fuel and cabin/pollen
brake flush? how long do you drive this car: 2 years?
Nope, I bought the car last May. They're were trying to snow me.

subdvr99

TDI
2006 BRM (Sold)
owr084 said:
Did you go to Impexfest last Saturday? You could have done all that there for only the cost of supplies (preferably bought from Worldimpex ;)
I didn't make it... I mysteriously always have some family function whenever there is a GTG or event. I'm beginning to think my wife is a secret lurker here and checks the schedule to keep me from getting around too many car people. :)

--Mark

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
subdvr99 said:
I didn't make it... I mysteriously always have some family function whenever there is a GTG or event. I'm beginning to think my wife is a secret lurker here and checks the schedule to keep me from getting around too many car people. :)

--Mark
Well, the date has been set for next year - 3 May 2008. Make your plans now!

tdisedanman

Veteran Member
TDI
Ex 2005 Passat, TDI and ex 2005.5 Jetta TDI
I don't know if the dealers realize how much service they lose because of high prices. But, from what I have seen , they do a bunch of business. HOWEVER, I guess they have to charge so much because the service is so poor that every repair has several comebacks. I guess if they did it right the first time, the stealership owener would make a bloody fortune!

Reggie870

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI 5sdp Pkg 2
A Houston dealer tried to charge me $230+ for changing the fuel filter. Lets see...... they charge $37 for the filter and $190+ for 15 minutes of labor? No wonder they are disliked so much!