head gasket thickness

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
I'm starting to put together the list of items needed to get my B4 back on the road, and realize that I have no idea how thick the gasket is.

How many holes does this have, for purposes of thickness?

[/url][/IMG]

Last edited:

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I cleaned it up.

I think there's most of a part number there. 028-103(?) 383 A maybe an S.

I'll have to look to see if I can find this number anywhere.

Quick Google give me the guess that the "A" is important and 1.53 mm.

If anyone knows, I'd appreciate hearing from you. I'll get back to this later - got some car stuff to continue cleaning up.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Thats a single hole gasket. Assuming you did not change rods or pistons and your deck heights are correct...another single hole gasket can be used.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thank you for the confirmation.

One more item to put on my "to purchase" listing.

Where is the best place to obtain hardware (bolts for intake mani, studs and nuts for turbo-exhaust connection, basically all the stuff I'll need to put it back together. I hate using rusted hardware.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Many of the good vendors on this site have those items. I use IDparts.com as they have every item and great packages which are complete for any job you are doing...they also are 20 minutes away from me! But they ship worlwide and are very fast. They have a head replacement kit which includes all of the parts you are looking for.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
In my AHU to AFN thread I have a spreadsheet link that had the prices and part numbers from a couple venders for most of the parts you will need. The biggest problem is that there is no one source that has all the parts let alone best prices. I think I went with 2 or 3 suppliers.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
The biggest problem is that there is no one source that has all the parts let alone best prices. I think I went with 2 or 3 suppliers.
Wow, it's been almost 5 years since I got the Passat going! I, too, recall using several suppliers to get the best pricing and keep the highest possible quality parts.

Tony

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In my AHU to AFN thread I have a spreadsheet link that had the prices and part numbers from a couple venders for most of the parts you will need. The biggest problem is that there is no one source that has all the parts let alone best prices. I think I went with 2 or 3 suppliers.
I will try to take a look later. Thanks for the info. sounds like a bit of a search.

Now to find the funds. The water heater now needs replaying.