WANTED: 01-03 (ALH) Jetta TDI/5 spd Wagon in MINT shape. Prefer blue in colour.

ss04vv

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 382k & counting...
Hi guys, title explains everything, I'm on the hunt for a TDI wagon, with low miles, in MINT shape (prefer Krown undercoating been applied at least a few times in its life), and prefer a 2003. I'm also looking for one in the colour blue. Other options I'm looking for:

- Cloth not leather seats
- Heated Seats
- Basic Radio package (want room for a 3 gage pod above radio in open slot. The double din radios don't seem to have room for that)
- Alloy wheels
- 5 spd is an absolute must unless the car happens to be sold with a blown automatic transmission for a significantly reduced price (hello 6 spd swap!)

The car below is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for BUT it's an 04 PD. I'm looking for an ALH only

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Might want to talk to your local dealer and see if they can check the other VW dealer's inventory for this. Have you tried searching in the US?

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
I've looked at a Mk4 wagon trunk and It did not seem to have much more space than the Golf trunk. Mostly because the floor is so much higher in the Jetta Wagon. Good luck.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I want the hardest to find (only made one year), car with specific options, mint shape, etc... :rolleyes:

Good luck. You have picked a very desirable and rare TDI. Craigslist, Autotrader and Kijiji will be your friend. I suggest you set up email alerts for all three.

Happy hunting - look out for rear hatch rot.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
i really wouldn't be afraid of the PDs - it's a fine issue, and the cam issue has been blown out of proportion. You'll also have a lot more cars to choose from.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
Import Connection in Milton has a 2003 in silver with an automatic and sunroof. also a cinnamon red one with auto I test drove.

Brian B

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon - Silver
I've looked at a Mk4 wagon trunk and It did not seem to have much more space than the Golf trunk. Mostly because the floor is so much higher in the Jetta Wagon. Good luck.
I disagree, the wagon has given me soooo much more space. That was the reason I traded my 2001 Golf in for my 2003 Wagon. LOVE IT!!!!

2001 golf specs
18 Cubic Ft with seats up
41.8 Cubic ft with seats down

2003 Jetta Wagon
34 Cubic ft with seats up
51.9 Cubic ft with seats down

Pablo556

TDI
Golf 2001 Golf 86
Check on Kijiji Toronto area. There was one listed there 2 weeks ago. I thought it was a little pricey. Ad said it was old by a lady and the son was selling it for her.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Surprised that no one mentioned that the wagons aren't available until '03. So, if you are looking for a non-PD engine, an '03 is your only option. I considered one when I bought my '01 used, but the price premium at the time wasn't worth it. I still wish I would have bought a wagon, but again the price stood in the way.

If you have time on your side, then hold out for the options you want. If you need one NOW, then widen your search area or be ready to settle a little.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
It took me 2 years of looking to finally get my wagon. I wanted the same things as you, 2003 with an ALH (so I could transfer over my engine mods from my 2000) at an affordable price. As Vento stated, only 1 year available for a wagon with an ALH...2003. Finding one in the colour & options you want will likely take a long time.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
6000 for one piece of your dream car puzzle doesn't sound too bad. If you found one with a manual you would be stuck with the 5 speed. ;)

Besides, its got an automatic, you should be able to talk them down on the price.

ss04vv

Veteran Member
TDI
This /\ is not \/
;)
It also has beige leather when I specified cloth only, and it has the higher end CD player so no room for a 3 gage pod. There's also no receipt for the timing belt work as the owner 'did it himself at 220k because he had no idea if it had been done previously or not'. Well, since you don't have receipts now I dont know if its actually been done or not, so I have to do it again. He's also done the oil spraying himself as he owns some sort of shop, but it's not the Krown stuff it's that thick **** that looks like axle grease after a while....not what I'm looking for. If he would move on the price I'd consider it, but he says it's firm.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
........and it has the higher end CD player so no room for a 3 gage pod.....
FYI, I don't think you will find a 2003 with a single din stereo that has the cubby you are looking for. As far as I know, all 2002 and newer cars came with the bigger double din radio unit. So if that is a deciding factor for you, you will have to install an aftermarket radio to get the space you are looking for above the radio for your gauges.

ic_ou812

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI Reflex Silver
FYI, I don't think you will find a 2003 with a single din stereo that has the cubby you are looking for. As far as I know, all 2002 and newer cars came with the bigger double din radio unit. So if that is a deciding factor for you, you will have to install an aftermarket radio to get the space you are looking for above the radio for your gauges.
My 2002 has a single din radio/cassette + single din cd = double din.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
WOW, $12 grand for a base model wagon. No alloys, no leather. Its in nice shape, but that is pricey. Must be the market down there. Not a lot of TDI's, high demand maybe? No way would that car get close to that much up here.

timk519

Veteran Member
TDI
Last: 2012 TDI JSW
Ditto - I was thinking for a few K more someone could get a 2009/2010 JSW, as long as you didn't mind rolling the HPFP dice with it. :)

There's another US guy trying to sell a sweet looking salsa red 2009 sedan w/about 40K miles, and wasn't getting any interest at $18K, and local dealers were only offering $16K for it.

There's a 2004 PD wagon for sale in GA with more stuff / upgrades, and he's only asking ~$10K for it.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
My 2002 has a single din radio/cassette + single din cd = double din.
OK. Maybe it was 2003 when they switched over to the single unit/double din radios.

This is 2 x single din units (CD player on top, radio on bottom):

This is a double din radio (single unit taking up 2 spaces):

I have never seen a 2003 car with 2 x single din units. I am not saying one can't exist, I just have never seen one and I have driven in a lot of VW's

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Ditto - I was thinking for a few K more someone could get a 2009/2010 JSW, as long as you didn't mind rolling the HPFP dice with it. :)
There's another US guy trying to sell a sweet looking salsa red 2009 sedan w/about 40K miles, and wasn't getting any interest at $18K, and local dealers were only offering $16K for it.
There's a 2004 PD wagon for sale in GA with more stuff / upgrades, and he's only asking ~$10K for it.
When I was shopping for my ALH, they were more expensive than the newer cars with PD's. I guess the ALH is a more desirable engine and some people are prepared to pay a premium for it. I would have bought a PD had I not had a bunch of performance parts on my ALH I wanted to switch over (Nozzles, 11mm pump, etc).

ss04vv

Veteran Member
TDI
Good to know, thanks. Its partially that, and partially because having a CD player for me is pointless since I either listen to the radio, SAT radio, or play my MP3 player through the radio.